Photo package/photographers questions

Nosleepatall

This will be our first cruise and we are a family in multiple cabins on the Royal. I am thinking we will buy one photo package and see how that works for our group (I have read all the recent threads about obtaining photos as long as one person with the package is in the photo and odds seem favorable).  I have a couple questions though about the photography experience in general:  1) If we do not buy a package, what do individual photos cost? And does that include the digital copy so we could use on a holiday card etc? 2) If we buy the package, I would be looking for more candid shots. From what I have read here, that is not the case and there are overwhelming reports of stilted portraits with characters, backdrops etc.  I have also read a couple reports where candid shots were NOT included in the package price. My main reason for getting the photo package would be to have a few relaxed table shots at dinner and some candid group shots from around the ship.  Do the photographers roam during the day?  Or is it mostly going into dinner, leaving/boarding the ship, formal night?

For $200, I’m pretty sure we’ll buy a package and see how it goes. But very curious what to expect.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

There have been other posts regarding the devaluation of the photo package. Personally, we used it last year on the Pacific Princess and it was pretty much as you said. If you're in the photo, you get it. We really enjoyed it and took advantage of every photo opportunity we could, candid shots during special events, roaming photographer shots in the dining rooms on formal nights, on deck sail-away photos and of course the gangway photos at every port. We rarely did these before as they are expensive if purchased individually.

Subsequently posts started appearing claiming that T's & C's started appearing. Things like only people in your cabin, no group photos with other people, no "special" prints like 10"x10" ones, no sunset photos and so on. People were dubious but ... more and more souls chimed in with their experiences. We just got back from a 37-day sailing on the Sapphire Princess and had this package. The first time I showed up at the photo desk to claim the USB stick and our first photos, I was given a lengthy sheet of rules governing the package and was told I had to sign it. It was true, all the things we'd read here on CC were happening.

You need to be aware that there may be problems with your multi-cabin family group photos. I'm only speculating here but you might be required to purchase packages for each cabin if you want those photos included. Alternatively, you might want the package for you and spouse and simply pay individually for the group photos. It's up to you.

Individual photos can cost from roughly $20 to $50 depending on size and how much post-processing they did. Digital versions are only available if you get the printed photo itself. I can't recall if it's an extra charge or not for the digital.

Candid shots were included in our most recent package. By candid, if there's a roaming photographer nearby and the photo is taken without a big setup / backdrop, that's candid. Sailaway on deck is a good example of candid shots. But, buyer beware, if those photos end up getting printed in a 10"x10" format with special surrounds, they are not included.

We had dinner photos included and then not included. I recall the individual photos were included but if you gather around and get everyone in your table together for a photo, not included.

It would be nice in Princess would provide the T's & C's on their web-site. I haven't been able to find them. Maybe someone on board will grab a copy from the photo desk and post them.

We've got a couple more cruises booked and I'm really torn as to whether to get the package again. Like you, our next one will have multiple cabins with family members...

• Like 1

I agree! Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a thorough reply. Really helpful. 

Also, glad to hear you say you couldn’t find T&C on the princess website. I have tried and thought maybe it was just me missing something. 

Photographers do not wander around during the day. They generally show up in the DR's some evenings at dinner. They also show up at sail-away's, deck parties, and other parties such as theme nights. They are ever present on initial boarding and when you disembark at each port. They also set up around the atrium each evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to Princess to request the Ts & Cs for the photo package. Just got them so here they are (I hate number 10):

All Inclusive Photo Package
Terms and Conditions of Sale
1. The All Inclusive Photo Package (the “Package”) is available to the purchasing guest, immediate family traveling on the same booking number as the purchasing guest or anyone verified as staying in the same cabin of the purchasing guest (together referred to, for the purpose of these terms and conditions, as the “purchasing guest”).
2. The Package includes the following:
a. One color photo print (presented on premium photo paper) of any regular photography event, photographed by the ships photographers as described in paragraph 4, of which the purchasing guest has participated in. Please Note:
i. Color photo print shall not exceed 8x10 inches in size.
ii. Color photo print size (up to 8x10 inches) is at the discretion of the photo department and may depend on the event.
b. One digital file of associated photo print. Note:
i. Digital file is standard jpeg format only and shall not exceed 2MB in size.
ii. A unique barcode on each photo print must be scanned at the photo counter, at the time of purchase, in order to download the digital file.
iii. Prints and digital files are not available after the voyage ends.
c. One large souvenir photo folio, to fit up to two 8x10 photo prints
d. One small souvenir photo folio, to fit up to two 6x8 photo prints
e. One Souvenir USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Note:
i. Once all prints are scanned the digital files will be uploaded to souvenir USB 3.0 Flash Drive
ii. Replacement, or additional Souvenir Ship USB will be charged to purchasing guest at $15 per single unit (each)
3. Requested reproductions, or reprints of any image, will be charged to purchasing guest at an additional $10, regardless of size available, (size not to exceed 8x10 inches).
4. The Package includes only regular photography events, photographed by the ships photographers. List of regular photo events includes:
a. Embarkation or boarding photos.
b. Photos taken in the main dining room and specialty restaurants.
c. Portraits taken at various backdrop locations onboard.
d. Photos taken when disembarking the ship in ports of call.
e. Costume and character events
f. Photos taken on the open deck during scheduled entertainment events and scenic cruising
Further details of included events can be provided by the Photo Department Staff onboard, since the nature of itineraries and photo opportunities is varied. Refunds and/or additional discounts are not available for any events for which the purchasing guest has utilized the Package.
5. The Package cannot be used in conjunction with or combined with the following products or services:
a. Platinum Studio
b. Weddings
c. Renewal of vows
d. Private parties
e. In stateroom requests
f. Scheduled group photos
g. Private photographer hire
h. Travel agent groups traveling on the same booking number
i. Stock images or scenic photography
j. Any special requests, outside of regular photographic events
k. Video services
l. Retail product
6. Package prices are dependent on voyage length:
a. 7 to 24 days: $249 pre-cruise, $299 onboard
b. 25 to 39 days: $299 pre-cruise, $399 onboard
c. 40 days or longer: $399 pre-cruise, $549 onboard
The Package is not available for voyages of less than seven (7) days.
7. The Package is not available in the following trade itineraries:
a. Voyages departing from and returning to China
b. Voyages departing from and returning to Japan
c. Voyages departing from and returning to Australia
d. Voyages departing from and returning to New Zealand
8. Once the photo prints or digital files have been taken from the Photo Gallery by the purchasing guest, no refunds or exchanges will be permitted.
9. These terms and conditions shall still apply and no exceptions and or refunds will be made where photos services are suspended due to circumstances beyond the control of the Photo Department - for example, weather-related disruption, onboard safety or operational issues.
10. These terms and conditions may be modified, amended or updated at any time in our sole discretion, with or without notice to the purchasing guest. Any modification, update or amendment will be effective immediately upon publication.
11. Purchase of the Package is proof of your acceptance of these terms and conditions.

Wow, that is quite different from what we received when we got ours a few years back.  We got to keep every print taken if we wanted to.  In fact we grabbed the prints from the racks and brought them to the desk.  Then each print would be transferred to the flash drive.  Also (altough we had a special promo) the price they have quoted above is higher than what I currently see online.  I thought it was $200 pre-cruise.  It notes it's $250 pre in your post above.

Thanks for sharing though.  It's fairly enlightening.

8 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Wow, that is quite different from what we received when we got ours a few years back.  We got to keep every print taken if we wanted to.  In fact we grabbed the prints from the racks and brought them to the desk.  Then each print would be transferred to the flash drive.  Also (altough we had a special promo) the price they have quoted above is higher than what I currently see online.  I thought it was $200 pre-cruise.  It notes it's $250 pre in your post above.

Thanks for sharing though.  It's fairly enlightening.

2a, seems to imply that you get to keep a one copy of each photo.

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

2a, seems to imply that you get to keep a one copy of each photo.

I was wondering that.  But when I read that one could get an 8x10 of it, it made me think of only one.  But yea, I could see that.  That is different from when we participated since the hard copy that we got was the one on the rack.  They were of different sizes, but we weren't offered an option on the size.  Some were larger and some were smaller.  Times they be a changin'.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, beg3yrs said:

7. The Package is not available in the following trade itineraries:
a. Voyages departing from and returning to China
b. Voyages departing from and returning to Japan
c. Voyages departing from and returning to Australia
d. Voyages departing from and returning to New Zealand

So, I can see what this item says and how I'd interpret it but I'm curious what you all think.

DH and I are cruising in December, starting in Japan and ending in Singapore. In my opinion our cruise does not fall under 7b. It starts in Japan but does not return there. Should the photo package be available? That leads me to the question, when is the photo package available for purchase? Is this one of the items that is only available closer to the cruise? Or is it a case of Princess's T&C not being precise?

1 hour ago, RobinAnn said:

So, I can see what this item says and how I'd interpret it but I'm curious what you all think.

DH and I are cruising in December, starting in Japan and ending in Singapore. In my opinion our cruise does not fall under 7b. It starts in Japan but does not return there. Should the photo package be available? That leads me to the question, when is the photo package available for purchase? Is this one of the items that is only available closer to the cruise? Or is it a case of Princess's T&C not being precise?

In my experience, the best way to tell if it's available is to look under the Onboard Reservations/Photo section of the Personalizer. If the package is available, that's where you'll find it for purchase. I've always found the packages available right away.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

In my experience, the best way to tell if it's available is to look under the Onboard Reservations/Photo section of the Personalizer. If the package is available, that's where you'll find it for purchase. I've always found the packages available right away.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. We really enjoyed getting "all the photos" on our Panama Canal cruise. Thanks for your opinion/experience response.

Edited by RobinAnn

You might have read my recent thread asking about photo packages for different cabins. We were on the Royal and got one package for 2 cabins. As long as one of us were in the picture, it was included. Exceptions were some of the "special prints." The candid photos we got were from the roaming photographers during dinner at the MDR. They were pretty patient and let us take various combinations.  Other more candid ones were when Stanley the Bear was walking around the ship. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650782-photo-package-with-more-than-one-cabin/?tab=comments#comment-57320063

Edited by chinita415