Return from first cruise of season

CRu1853!!

Hey all, returned this Saturday from our Canada/New England cruise on HAL Zaandam and would like to share a few things. We left from Fort Lauderdale for a 10 night cruise. Being a lifelong Floridian I really did not realize how cold it would still be “up North”. We did plan for this with our clothing but we did not take into account how windy it would also be starting with Bar Harbor and all the way until we reached Quebec City. Cadillac mountain, Peggy’s Cove, Lunenburg, Fortress Louisbourg, Green Gables temps were in the 30’s-40’s with wind gusts very high. For us it was freezing 🥶.

one thing that was really a positive was that we were the only ship in port all along the way. I know we missed some things because it was so early in the season but I can’t imagine how very crowded it would be later on. Would like to recommend to restaurants we stopped in for lunch. In Bar Harbor we stopped at Geddy’s right on the main street. Quirky little place with good food. We had a special that included small lobster roll, seafood chowder and blueberry tart. In Lunenburg we ate at Salt Shaker Deli. Small family run restaurant with great food and terrific people. Unfortunately we were unable to finish cruise in Montreal due to the flooding and high water issues and had to be bussed from Quebec City to YUL but otherwise we had a wonderful time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRu1853!! said:

Hey all, returned this Saturday from our Canada/New England cruise on HAL Zaandam and would like to share a few things. We left from Fort Lauderdale for a 10 night cruise. Being a lifelong Floridian I really did not realize how cold it would still be “up North”. We did plan for this with our clothing but we did not take into account how windy it would also be starting with Bar Harbor and all the way until we reached Quebec City. Cadillac mountain, Peggy’s Cove, Lunenburg, Fortress Louisbourg, Green Gables temps were in the 30’s-40’s with wind gusts very high. For us it was freezing 🥶.

one thing that was really a positive was that we were the only ship in port all along the way. I know we missed some things because it was so early in the season but I can’t imagine how very crowded it would be later on. Would like to recommend to restaurants we stopped in for lunch. In Bar Harbor we stopped at Geddy’s right on the main street. Quirky little place with good food. We had a special that included small lobster roll, seafood chowder and blueberry tart. In Lunenburg we ate at Salt Shaker Deli. Small family run restaurant with great food and terrific people. Unfortunately we were unable to finish cruise in Montreal due to the flooding and high water issues and had to be bussed from Quebec City to YUL but otherwise we had a wonderful time.

We only took tours offered by the cruise line. HoHo in Boston, an intimate look at Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor (only had 14 people on the tour), the iconic three out of Halifax,

Fortress Louisbourg out of Sidney, Anne of Green Gables and north shore drive out of PEI, walking tour of old Quebec. All of them were very good.

We are also doing repo cruise this fall (Zuiderdam). I was kinda watching your cruise cause as Canadian, I was interested in seeing how they would handle the weather. How were the seas coming north? Here's a question for Americans. Canadians have their Thanksgiving in October, USA has Columbus Day. We are in Portland on this day. Will we have to deal with things being closed? I read in cc that Portland is easily walkable so we weren't planning on a tour, just doing our own thing but need places to be open for business

The seas going north from Ft. Lauderdale were not really bad. I am prone to sea sickness so I took Bonnie every night except the last two. At times the side to side rocking was very noticeable. Columbus Day usually just has closing of government office and post office if anything. Commercial businesses don’t close. Have fun.

Here’s an overview of Columbus Day in the US.  Basically no banks open and no mail.

Columbus Day, which falls on the second Monday of October, is one of 10 federal holidays recognized by the U.S. government. 

This year, it falls on October 8. The day commemorates the arrival of Christopher Columbus to North America in October 1492. Many also see it as a time to celebrate Italian heritage. 

Columbus Day was first recognized as a U.S. federal holiday in 1937, but some states (Alaska, Hawaii and South Dakota) do not observe the holiday, which is widely controversial because of Columbus' treatment of indigenous people. South Dakota instead celebrates Native American Day and Hawaii celebrates Discoverers' Day. Some cities have replaced Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day.

Here's what businesses will be open or closed on Monday:

Banks: Most banks, including Federal Reserve Banks, Bank of America and Wells Fargo, will be closed. TD Bank will remain open on Monday. 

Mail services: The United States Postal Service will not deliver mail on Monday. However, UPS does not observe Columbus Day and locations will be open. And, UPS will pick up and deliver packages as normal. FexEx will be operational, with the exception of FedEx Home Delivery and a modified service for FedEx SmartPost.

Schools: Many schools will be closed on Columbus Day, but some districts including Philadelphia do not observe the holiday and will remain open. 

Libraries: Most public libraries, including the New York Public Library will be closed on Columbus Day. 

Stock markets: The New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq will remain open. 

Federal offices: Because Columbus Day is a federal holiday, federal offices will be closed. 

National parks: The National Park Service is open on Columbus Day. 

Courts: Courts will be closed. 

Retail businesses: Most department stores and retail shops will be open. Most restaurants will also remain open. 

Grocery stores: Most grocery stores will remain open. Garbage: Garbage and recycling collection is not operational in many cities on Monday, but check with local providers.

More: Columbus, your ship may have sailed: Indigenous Peoples Day picks up steam

• Like 1

It has been particularly wet and cold this spring, but I would never recommend an April cruise. Things are just greening up here now.

For sure you need to dress for cold and windy weather.

7 hours ago, maryann ns said:

It has been particularly wet and cold this spring, but I would never recommend an April cruise. Things are just greening up here now.

For sure you need to dress for cold and windy weather.

That's what I like about it!  "Invigorating!"  I prefer it over the heat of the Caribbean any day.

It was really “invigorating “ we just weren’t prepared well for the wind. I also agree that we missed the greening that would occur and I imagine it would be beautiful..what I am glad we missed was the crowds we would have faced later in the season in these smaller ports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, Kate45 said:

We are also doing repo cruise this fall (Zuiderdam). I was kinda watching your cruise cause as Canadian, I was interested in seeing how they would handle the weather. How were the seas coming north? Here's a question for Americans. Canadians have their Thanksgiving in October, USA has Columbus Day. We are in Portland on this day. Will we have to deal with things being closed? I read in cc that Portland is easily walkable so we weren't planning on a tour, just doing our own thing but need places to be open for business

Shops and restaurants should be open on Columbus Day, is that what you're wondering? As to other things being opened, you see the answer regarding official services and departments. Since ATM's would be accessible, hopefully bank services beyond getting cash won't be needed and if you needed a stamp, I'd say try a chain pharmacy or grocery store as most now sell postage stamps were you needing to mail a letter, or even send money as some now have Western Union terminals too.

Otherwise, this holiday doesn't cause as significant a stop to everything as the big major religious holidays or Thanksgiving do or as one sees happen in other countries. Everything just keeps on going. 😄