Disembarking in Civitavecchia

Assuming you are on a standard Med itinerary (ie not arriving after a transatlantic or anything like that) then disembarkation will be very quick.

You will basically just walk off the ship, pick up your bags and go. No queues for immigration/customs etc.

12 hours ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

Can anybody tell me typically how long it takes to disembark from the cruise in this port. We have a 9:30am pickup at the port and I wanted to make sure that was enough time

It's fast.  I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a 9:30 pickup.

I'm also interested about this topic as my cruise in August will also be disembarking at Civitavecchia. If I walk off with my luggage, what time does this happen? I will need to book a train from the railway station so an idea of when I can get off would be useful.

42 minutes ago, phoenix1975 said:

I'm also interested about this topic as my cruise in August will also be disembarking at Civitavecchia. If I walk off with my luggage, what time does this happen? I will need to book a train from the railway station so an idea of when I can get off would be useful.

It depends on what time the ship is scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia, the time on the official cruise itinerary is the time they expect the ship to be cleared and ready for disembarkation. Even though the embarkation process in Civitavecchia is fast, it still may take 30-60 minutes to get off the ship - it depends on how many people are doing the "Easy Walk Off" taking their own luggage. They are usually the first group to be "called", and that line can some times be veeeeery long as the majority of the passengers want to be "the first ones off", so then we are talking  about lots of people (last time we embarked in Civitavecchia - Sept. 2018 - the line of  people waiting to get off the ship was incredible, it was "snaking" its way from the gangway, along parts of the promenade deck, in to the Atrium area, from the atrium and back to the stairs/lifts that were situated at the aft part of the ship, then along the corridor back to the Atrium. We thought it was going to take "forever" to get off the ship, as we had to get at the end of that line, with hundreds (if not thousands) of people in front of us. And we were ashore about 45 min later. 

• 1 month later...

I now need to book my train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then an onward train to Milan.

What time do they usually allow you to get off Epic (according to the itinerary it arrives at 6.00am) and is it possible to walk to the railway station from the cruise terminal as I'd prefer to do that than try and get on a port shuttle with thousands of other people waiting? How long does it take to walk?

Can I also walk from the railway station to the cruise terminal when I get on Epic?

The main issue with Civitavecchia is that its both a Disembarkation day and a port day for those embarking in Barcelona. So  you have many more people heading off on excursions that people disembarking. The ship normally takes on 30% of passengers at Civitavecchia and the remaining 70% at Barcelona.

With easy walk-off the main issue is getting an empty lift to get in with your suitcase - by no means an easy task. My tip, if you can carry your suitcase drag it down the stairs and you will get off faster.

Hi - thanks for the advice. I'm sure I could carry my wheeled holdall down the stairs as I'm used to carrying it up and down stairs at railway stations (I'm travelling to and from the UK to the cruise by train).

If I can walk from the ship to the railway station it will make things a lot easier than trying to get on a shuttle bus with all those going on excursions.

15 minutes ago, phoenix1975 said:

If I can walk from the ship to the railway station it will make things a lot easier than trying to get on a shuttle bus with all those going on excursions.

It is  a relatively easy walk from the ship to the railway station past the fort. Last time I did it , I was first off the ship at bang on 6.00am, and 40 minutes later I was at the station. It is no use looking for any shuttle buses at that time in the morning and taxis are not interested in a short ride to the station. They are looking for direct direct rides into Rome

Thanks a lot - although I will have luggage with me, I will walk it from the ship to the station. I've walked it before a few years ago without luggage but I didn't know if you could still do this or had to use the shuttles.

6 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

It is  a relatively easy walk from the ship to the railway station past the fort. Last time I did it , I was first off the ship at bang on 6.00am, and 40 minutes later I was at the station. It is no use looking for any shuttle buses at that time in the morning and taxis are not interested in a short ride to the station. They are looking for direct direct rides into Rome

I have experienced this "the hard way", had pre-booked 1st class train tickets to Rome and because of much luggage we were counting on just taking a taxi to the  train station. But all taxi drivers at the port refused to take us, as they were all looking for longer rides. I did offer to pay double or even triple the regular fare, but they just said NO. So had to get in line with hundreds of people to get on one of the shuttles, and finally made it to the train station with about 5 min to spare....

5 hours ago, schildiams said:

What time are passengers required to disembark at this port? My son has a flight the next day so no rush - he would likely prefer to wait as long as possible. THANKS!

Normally if the scheduled arrival is early in the morning (before 08.00 AM), you have to leave your room before 08.00 or 08.30 and be off the ship by 09.00.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I have experienced this "the hard way", had pre-booked 1st class train tickets to Rome and because of much luggage we were counting on just taking a taxi to the  train station. But all taxi drivers at the port refused to take us, as they were all looking for longer rides. I did offer to pay double or even triple the regular fare, but they just said NO. So had to get in line with hundreds of people to get on one of the shuttles, and finally made it to the train station with about 5 min to spare....

Normally if the scheduled arrival is early in the morning (before 08.00 AM), you have to leave your room before 08.00 or 08.30 and be off the ship by 09.00.

How far/long was the walk to the train? Thanks!

21 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Didn't walk as we had heavy luggage, took the shuttle instead.

Do you happen to know if you were docked on pier 12BIS N or pier 25, which is where the Epic is today. If you were on pier 25, do you know at what time the first shuttle left to go to Largo della Pace?

2 hours ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

Do you happen to know if you were docked on pier 12BIS N or pier 25, which is where the Epic is today. If you were on pier 25, do you know at what time the first shuttle left to go to Largo della Pace?

I am sorry but I don't remember these details. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, Sparkles87 said:

The main issue with Civitavecchia is that its both a Disembarkation day and a port day for those embarking in Barcelona. So  you have many more people heading off on excursions that people disembarking. The ship normally takes on 30% of passengers at Civitavecchia and the remaining 70% at Barcelona.

With easy walk-off the main issue is getting an empty lift to get in with your suitcase - by no means an easy task. My tip, if you can carry your suitcase drag it down the stairs and you will get off faster.

You just take a "lift" going up and then stay on to go back down

51 minutes ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

From which pier? Numbers 10 to 13 or pier 25?

it has been a few years since I have been there and things have changed before at that pier, shuttle bus will bring you to the main gate, from there we just walked, 25 minutes or less, we have done this several times, but things change

I am still debating what to do.  I haven't even booked the flight back yet.  There is a flight at 12.30 and to avoid me getting stressed out, catching the shuttle, then the train, I am contemplating 'biting the bullet' and booking an airport shuttle with NCL.

43 minutes ago, doghouse09 said:

I am still debating what to do.  I haven't even booked the flight back yet.  There is a flight at 12.30 and to avoid me getting stressed out, catching the shuttle, then the train, I am contemplating 'biting the bullet' and booking an airport shuttle with NCL.

I actually believe that the airport shuttle from NCL is for flights later than 12.30 - I may be wrong though....

We got off the Epic on May 29th. We had an 11:15 am flight out of Rome. I hired a car to pick us up from the port and take us to the airport, it worked great! We walked our luggage off the ship and the driver was waiting at 7:30 am as arranged. We had plenty of time for our flight. Yes, more expensive than taking the train, but hassle free and so worth it. There were 3 of us. 

How will I know which berth, Epic is in when I embark in Civitavecchia? Is it just a case of going to one of the port information booths and asking?

If it ends up docking in berth 25, can you walk to there from the railway station and how long would it take?