Starboard or Port cabin Southeast Asia?

We are booked in Voyager Cabin 839 for our December Southeast Asia cruise. I think that is on the starboard side of the ship. Considering the heat and humidity I would rather have a balcony that is in the shade in the afternoon so the sun isn’t making the cabin warmer. For those who have done this itinerary which side of the ship should I choose?  Thanks. 

While I have not been on this particular itinerary, I have done other cruises (Alaska, New England, British Isles) that followed similar trajectories.  You're constantly turning, changing course, depending on ports.  One day the sun is full on your balcony and the next day it's in the shade.  I think you'll find that you will be just fine.

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Port or starboard really does not make any difference on any itinerary,

For almost any itinerary you're right.  I glanced at the itineraries for the 3 Asia cruises in December, and for any of these it won't make an appreciable difference, especially the Singapore to Singapore one.

But if the itinerary is predominantly in a particular direction it makes a small but non-zero difference.

For example, going from Rio to Miami the starboard side will often get morning sun and afternoon shade, while it is opposite for the port side.

For a trans-Atlantic, one side will tend to get the sun while the other the shade, but which is which depends on whether the ship is sailing East or West. I guess the difference also depends on whether the cruise is via the Northern or Southern route.

Greenolaker, I believe we're on your cruise, and we chose the port side because we like to see the shore from our balcony as we come into port in the morning. However, we continue on to Sydney, and our port side cabin will be looking at the water for all  stops except for leaving Bali. We didn't want to switch cabins. so we'll just have to head to a lounge or restaurant when we come into, or leave our ports on the second half of our cruise. I haven't been on a cruise that has had full sun blasting in on either side of the ship at all ports, and have been on a number of cruises south of the equator in December, so hopefully this will be the same.

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that it should not be an issue on that itinerary. However, on transatlantic cruises one side of the ship always has afternoon sun!

Actually the sun on transatlantics is almost always on the South side of the ship.  That would be port on westbound and starboard on eastbound.  It would pretty much be there all day as the sun never gets about the Tropic of Cancer 23 degrees 26 minutes degrees north and most transatlantics stay north of that latitude.

That said, Transatlantics south of the equator would be the opposite.  Transatlantics starting or ending on opposite sides of the equator would vary and could not keep or not have the sun on one side.