Need transportation from the Anchorage Airport to Seward.

caymancouple

If you use the search function you will find the names of companies who offer private motor coach transfers.  The Alaska Railroad is another option, as is renting a car.  Hertz is the only national car company with a presence in Seward, so be prepared for a hefty one way rental fee.

18 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

If you use the search function you will find the names of companies who offer private motor coach transfers.  The Alaska Railroad is another option, as is renting a car.  Hertz is the only national car company with a presence in Seward, so be prepared for a hefty one way rental fee.

I checked rent cars, and Hertz was... ready for it.... over $400.  So that is out.

The train leaves at 6:30 in the morning.  Would rather not do that unless I have to.

Checked several bus companies and either they were not running that day or well, I forget the other issues.

Private drivers so far have been in the $300 range.

Sigh.

Just throwing this out for you ... back in 2014 my adult son and I did a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Seward. We stayed one night in Anchorage then next day took a tour from Anchorage to Seward with Salmonberry Tours. Not sure if you have the time to spare, but if one has to pay "an arm and a leg" for a transfer, at least this includes a private van and several stops. You'll get to see the Girdwood/Mt Alyeska and the Wildlife Conservation Center. Arrival in Seward is around 3 (I'm sure it can be adjusted to suit your ship's departure.) Price is $249 per person - might want to contact them. We loved it and would highly recommend!

https://www.salmonberrytours.com/tours/anchorage-to-seward-transfer-and-tour

On 5/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, mapleleaves said:

Options include :

Hertz rental car,  Alaska Railroad (6:45am departure),   Park Connection Bus (alaskacoach.com) with 2 departures per day,  Seward Buslines,  and several private transfer companys such as    https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/.   

Look at anchorage.net to find other transfer companies.

This is who we are using next month.  They will pick up at most hotels between 8-8:30.  Depending on the day, they have an express that gets to Seward around 11:00 if I remember correctly.  They also have a "sight seeing tour" version that stops at the usual spots including the Wildlife Conservation stop.  I think it gets into Seward at 1:00PM.  And they will drop you off right at the cruise terminal.......no walking.

54 minutes ago, stevecmo said:

This is who we are using next month.  They will pick up at most hotels between 8-8:30.  Depending on the day, they have an express that gets to Seward around 11:00 if I remember correctly.  They also have a "sight seeing tour" version that stops at the usual spots including the Wildlife Conservation stop.  I think it gets into Seward at 1:00PM.  And they will drop you off right at the cruise terminal.......no walking.

Thanks, I have contacted them and they say they do not have a bus running from Anchorage to Seward on the 20th...the day the ship leaves.... seems odd.

19 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

Do you remember where the train leaves from?  I emailed the train company asking and have not heard back.

Train Station.

Seward is really cool. It is worth going early, dropping your luggage off and taking one of the boat rides there (Kenai Fjords). There are also great hiking areas to Exit glacier and the Alaska Sealife center is worth visiting.

I would do the Kenai fjords tour if you haven't yet.

Edited by Coral

19 hours ago, Coral said:

If you take the train, you get there early and can see some of Seward! Beautiful town.

If i check my luggage, is the town close enough to walk to?  Train gets in around 11, and my check in says 1230. Can i sightsee, but check in later?

9 hours ago, caymancouple said:

Do you remember where the train leaves from?  I emailed the train company asking and have not heard back.

the depot is downtown Anchorage.  The Railroad web site provides info and map of depot locations:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/depot-locations

I don't know about Azmara, but with the major lines,  your luggage goes directly to the ship.  You drop your luggage with the porters at the Anchorage depot, it will be trucked to Seward, and the next time you see it will be in your cabin.

Edited by mapleleaves

12 minutes ago, stacylee31 said:

If i check my luggage, is the town close enough to walk to?  Train gets in around 11, and my check in says 1230. Can i sightsee, but check in later?

When you state that your check in is 12:30 do you mean check in for the cruise?  And since you are arriving by train at 11 I am assuming you are on the "regular" Alaska Railroad run and not on a cruise contracted special train.  

If you look at Google Earth you will see that the Alaska Railroad Seward terminal is on the north side of Seward.  The cruise terminal is toward the east.  Seward itself is somewhat rectangular in shape.  I would take a quick taxi ride to the cruise terminal and drop your luggage with the baggage folks.  In the past Seward has had shuttle bus running which picks up folks at the entrance to the cruise terminal and then does a loop through Seward with several stops.  I have no idea what cruise line you are using, but most require check in 90 minutes to two hours before sailing.  Check your documents to find out the latest boarding time for your particular line.

19 minutes ago, stacylee31 said:

If you can't check your luggage in right away - Kenai Fjords will hold it for you if you do their tour: https://www.alaskacollection.com/day-tours/kenai-fjords-tours/stories/kenai-fjords-day-tours-for-cruisers/ 

In my situation, I did the train privately but the hotel put it with those on tour so they took care of it. They just told me to tag it.

According to this - the pier has baggage storage: http://www.seward.com/visit-seward/cruise-guests/ It wouldn't surprise me if you could just drop it off but if not, it looks like the pier will store it. My last several cruises have used Whittier and not Seward. I prefer Whittier.

17 hours ago, stacylee31 said:

Update and help - I found the NCL train excursion and booked it ($10 cheaper than the other train). 

The info says to meet at the airport train depot located at the 'airport'.  I am coming in a day early so I need to go back to the 'airport' depot.  I have read various things about the actual location. 

Please guide me to the correct location of the NCL train depot.  Thank you! 

Also - the description says the train is glass domed rail cars.  Is that correct?

thanks

Yes, the train leaves Anchorage early . . . but that means you arrive in Seward with time to take the 6 hour boat cruise in Resurrection Bay and the Kenai Peninsula.  This is often my favorite "excursion" on the entire trip.

There are two different people asking for train advice.

For caymancouple, traveling on the regular Alaska Railroad train to Seward, you will board your train at the train depot in downtown Anchorage.

For staceylee31, your NCL train will leave from the Anchorage airport. When you get to the airport, there will be signs directing you to the Alaska Railroad depot area. We saw the signs when heading to the rental car area (inside the terminal).