How should I handle this?

Northern Light

DH and I currently have a cruised booked for September on Caribbean Princess.  Final payment is in a few weeks.  He is already considering not going but not me.   I have never travelled solo so this would be a first.   Unfortunately, it will cost me quite a bit because I will want to stay in the mini suite (I bring a bath stool with me, so a tub is absolutely necessary with a MS would be the only option).    Since the cost is similar for both of us or for me as  single, would like to leave the booking as is just in case DH changes his mind. What happens if he is a no show regarding gratuities and port taxes.   I can ask Princess but wonder if anyone knows if Princess gives double cruise credits for solo travellers?  Maybe I should just cancel DH before final payment and turn it into a single for me?  Prefer Princess because we are Platinum (and getting close to Elite) and really like the internet minutes we get.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

A quandary to be sure.

Princess does not give solo cruisers double cruise credits.

Have had no experience with your situation, but I think I would cancel DH before final payment and turn the booking into a single one for you.  I think trying to keep DH on the booking and his becoming a no show would still result in the payment of required taxes and fees for that guest.  Trying an after final payment name change to the booking may also cause you complications.

Are you booking through a travel agent?  If so, ask that person for advice/help.  If you are booking directly with Princess, give them a call and ask for advice/help.

If you are only one person, there will only be port taxes and gratuities for one.

If you want that suite and can afford it? Just keep it and enjoy the space for yourself:classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Princess does not give solo cruisers double cruise credits.

[snip]

Princess *does* give solos double cruise credits. However, I don't know if you would get the double cruise credits if the booking was for two people and one was a no-show vs. a solo booking.

• Like 1

We hear the occasional report here where people have been charged for a solo traveler on a 'booked for 2, one no show' cruise - but that is when the solo rate is much higher than what may have been a cheap promo trip for 2.  Others have done what you do and received reduced port fees....can't remember about gratuities.

Perhaps also ask on the Princess board as it could be cruise line specific.

If you were willing to take a risk, and it isn't a loss of deposit, is check if there are a number of mini-suites left, cancel right before final payment, wait a few days and rebook as a solo.  Pricing may have dropped, or use an agent to try and reduce the single supplement. 

In truth, only Princess can give the best answer, but even then, it might depend on who is on the other end of the line.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.   They are all appreciated. Once upon a time we used a TA but then, in two circumstances, they were no longer in the business so we just started using Princess since we were only concerned about the cruise portion.   We book our own airfare for many reasons.   We did  have a Princess Cruise Planner for many cruises, but she seems to have vanished in the night and I haven't felt the same confidence in the one we have now to answer questions.   Comment that answers can vary depending on who one talks to is certainly true.   I will also post on the Princess board.    

9 hours ago, Croptop said:

Princess *does* give solos double cruise credits

You may well be correct.  I don't have enough Princess cruise experience to say that I agree or disagree with you.  Based on my December/January cruise on Royal Princess, how can I determine if I got double cruise credits.

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You may well be correct.  I don't have enough Princess cruise experience to say that I agree or disagree with you.  Based on my December/January cruise on Royal Princess, how can I determine if I got double cruise credits.

I have only cruised on Princess. The last 4 cruises I went on were solo and I received double cruise credits for each of them (one was a B2B so I got 4).

You can verify this by logging in to your Princess account and clicking "My Account->Cruise History". There you'll see all of your prior (and future) cruises along with the number of days they were and how many cruise credits you got for the cruise.

Yes, Princess gives double cruise credits to solos (and an extra credit if you're sailing in a suite). I just booked my first solo cruises since DH has to work this summer. Fortunately, Princess was offering a great rate for solos, not charging double as usual.

To the OP: We took my then 85-year-old mother-in-law with us on a Carnival cruise. She managed in the shower with a chair. The cruise line provided it.

41 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Yes, Princess gives double cruise credits to solos (and an extra credit if you're sailing in a suite). I just booked my first solo cruises since DH has to work this summer. Fortunately, Princess was offering a great rate for solos, not charging double as usual.

To the OP: We took my then 85-year-old mother-in-law with us on a Carnival cruise. She managed in the shower with a chair. The cruise line provided it.

Like the idea of double credits.  Used to just order a bath bench.  However, one time  we spent 8 days precruise in London.  The hotel did not provide this service, so I took one with us.   It comes apart easily for packing and no tools are required to reassemble.  Did request a bench for the cruise so one was waiting for us.  So very, very grateful that I had my own with me as the one provided was in such horrible and disgusting condition that it belonged in the garbage.   Now I never travel anywhere without mine....peace of mind.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:04 PM, Croptop said:

I have only cruised on Princess. The last 4 cruises I went on were solo and I received double cruise credits for each of them (one was a B2B so I got 4).

You can verify this by logging in to your Princess account and clicking "My Account->Cruise History". There you'll see all of your prior (and future) cruises along with the number of days they were and how many cruise credits you got for the cruise.

I stand corrected and thank you for this information.  My most recent Princess cruise prior to my 2018 Royal Princess cruise in December was aboard Star Princess in 2005.  Only one Cruise Credit was awarded for that cruise and for all of the previous cruises.  Obviously, Princess changed the plans for awarding Cruise Credits.