Health/Mobility Concern

I travel on June 14 aboard Enchantment of the Seas. Since booking over a year ago, I have experienced some health issues that I fear will ruin my vacation. I’m not opposed to just chilling on the ship. That’s actually what I want to do. However, due to a back and neck surgery last year and a week long ICU stay due to blood clots all over my lungs in December, I don’t move as well as I did when booking. Sometimes I use a walker. I know using it onboard will not be an issue. I’m concerned about getting on board and how strenuous that will be. Any advice?

No problem. As soon as you get to the terminal stop the first employee you see and let them know you need wheelchair assistance to board. At the end of the cruise, advise guest services that you need wheelchair assistance to debark. 

If you need help getting on the ship, they have wheelchairs to get you onto the ship. You can't use them for the duration of the cruise, but it may be helpful for arriving at the ship, and departing on the day you go home.  Give them a call and tell them you will need assistance.  

If you feel you may need a wheelchair or scooter ON the ship, then there are rental companies that deal with this all the time.

The actual boarding process is not strenuous at all, tho.

When we cruised with my parents, they saw my Dad using a walker as we entered the terminal, put us in the assistance line, got a wheel chair, and wheeled him on board.  We did not ask, they offered.

Get wheelchair assistance to board, at a minimum, think carefully about hir8ng a wheelchair or scooter, even if you stay on board the whole cruise, you don’t realise how much walking you do, until you are physically challenged.

21 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you need help getting on the ship, they have wheelchairs to get you onto the ship. 

The actual boarding process is not strenuous at all, tho.

Please speak for yourself.  I am not able to board without a wheelchair or scooter at many terminals due to heart and lung issues.  The actual boarding process is more than strenuous for me and could be life threatening.  I rent a scooter.

• Like 1