QM2 Knob Adjustment

gbrchill

We have recently returned from a back to back transatlantic crossing. During our outward leg, from Southampton, we had the maintenance folk move through our deck and some of the others changing the way those square door and draw knobs are fixed. The have inserted a spacer to make the stem of the knobs over twice as long. In our cabin they only did it on the knobs that didn't require disassembly of the draws - those where the internal screw head was visible. Here are some before and after pictures. The disadvantage is that now the knobs stand out further and are more likely to catch on things. The desk draw knob pokes into ones belly a bit if one is on the portly side and happen to want to sit up close to the desk.

🙂 Chris

P1210251.jpg

P1210252.jpg

P1210253.jpg

3 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I was thinking of bringing some new knobs [ones without sharp edges]

I was hoping for the same, but at least this might help make it less painful trying to open things.

• Like 1

I think the old knobs were too close to the cabinet. In addition to the knob being sharp, the clearance was tight enough that your finger would get squeezed between the sharp knob and the door/drawer face.

• Like 1

We were on deck 5, I can't recall exactly but I think the letter we received said the knob technicians were working through deck 5 and 6, but it may have been 4 & 5.

I can attest that it is now possible to hang things from the extended knobs. I do feel that the newly extended knob now sticks out a little too far. I wonder if they are trying a remedy before rolling it out over the rest of the ship. We were left with a mixture of original and extended knobs as some of the draws have hidden screw heads and may require more work to modify.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gbrchill said:

We were left with a mixture of original and extended knobs as some of the draws have hidden screw heads and may require more work to modify.

That's odd, since they just put all those knobs on just a couple of years ago.

Hi, 

I did not understand the problem with the knobs until recently. Prior to April 2019, I had sailed aboard the QM2 twice since the 2016 remastering. In 2016 and 2017, I was assigned to a new single stateroom on both sailings and didn't have any problem. The new single staterooms do not have the problem knobs. However, I did a crossing on the QM2 in April 2019 in a sheltered balcony stateroom on Deck 5 and experienced the problem for the first time. I agree that it is difficult to open the drawers with the square knobs that were added in 2016. It is good to hear that they are trying to address this problem.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

That's odd, since they just put all those knobs on just a couple of years ago.

Yes, but that was during a drydock. Perhaps they needed to remove the drawer fronts or do more extensive work to swap them? (which might be difficult during a voyage)

OR... (and this one just occurred to me) the securing bolts for the knobs may be seated in the wood and very difficult to replace. And they can't install the tube extensions because the bolts aren't long enough.

OR....... they can't install them on the drawers inside the closet because they'd prevent the cabinet door from closing all the way.

In any event, I'm happy for the change and we'll try them out in a few weeks.

Edited by MarkBearSF

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, gbrchill said:

We have recently returned from a back to back transatlantic crossing. During our outward leg, from Southampton, we had the maintenance folk move through our deck and some of the others changing the way those square door and draw knobs are fixed. The have inserted a spacer to make the stem of the knobs over twice as long. In our cabin they only did it on the knobs that didn't require disassembly of the draws - those where the internal screw head was visible. Here are some before and after pictures. The disadvantage is that now the knobs stand out further and are more likely to catch on things. The desk draw knob pokes into ones belly a bit if one is on the portly side and happen to want to sit up close to the desk.

🙂 Chris

P1210251.jpg

P1210252.jpg

P1210253.jpg

The knobs are so annoying. I bring something like a piece of ribbon or something tie the ends and when I want to open a drawer just place it around the knob and pull. No more sore fingers. Whoever thought of installing them was not too smart in my eyes.

Don't knock it if the knobs' razor sharp corners haven't dug into your fingers. It was an unfortunate distraction from the recent QM2 refurbishment.

The adjustment really helps. It's odd that the drawer insides were removed at the desk to add the longer shafts (since the start ends are covered inside the drawers), but the drawers in the wardrobe and bedside table still have the short shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday they completed extending the knob shafts on the drawers in our cabin.

They've also added a grab bar just inside the shower. My wife's happy, because she doesn't like the step into/out of the bathroom and the bar is helpful when stepping down getting out.