Newbie Question -lanyards?

Beverleel

2 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, we've stayed in tons of hotels, starting in Europe and now more in the US, that do this.  But none of them controlled the AC and I can't find anything confirming that on any reputable site.  Now there are places where if the slider is left open that will turn off the AC.  We had the housekeeper do that (just a minute amount) in Dubrovnik and it was screaming hot in there.

Here ya go - https://illumra.com/application/application-notes/sample-applications/hotel-room-hvac-controls/ 

or - https://www.evolvecontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Evolve-Controls-Occupancy-Sensors1.pdf

Some systems adjust thermostat and others are simply on/off switches. Hotels or ships can get the same performance by using motion sensors rather than a keycard switch. 

3 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Here ya go - https://illumra.com/application/application-notes/sample-applications/hotel-room-hvac-controls/ 

or - https://www.evolvecontrols.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Evolve-Controls-Occupancy-Sensors1.pdf

Some systems adjust thermostat and others are simply on/off switches. Hotels or ships can get the same performance by using motion sensors rather than a keycard switch. 

Thanks.  So as I had found/thought, removing the key card doesn't turn off the AC.

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Not terribly keen on the motion sensor thing.  I don’t want it to turn off the ventilation/air conditioning while we’re sleeping!  And I’ve been in bathrooms where the light goes out if you stay still too long, and I’ve had to do an idiotic dance routine to get the lights to come back on.  Not to mention that it give a whole new meaning to the expression “he can’t find his a*** with both hands”   😁

Edited by lisiamc

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Actually, some of the sensors turn the HVAC off (the second link). It all depends on whether the thermostat has a setback capability or simply an on/off function at a preset temperature.

But have you actually experienced the AC being turned off?  I haven't in hotel rooms,

On 6/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, clo said:

Oh, we've stayed in tons of hotels, starting in Europe and now more in the US, that do this.  But none of them controlled the AC and I can't find anything confirming that on any reputable site.  Now there are places where if the slider is left open that will turn off the AC.  We had the housekeeper do that (just a minute amount) in Dubrovnik and it was screaming hot in there.

EVERY hotel I have stayed in, that had a power slot for a card, turned off the AC when there was not a card in the slot.  This is on 6 continents.

A few might not turn off an outlet at the desk for a charger or laptop.  And a few would allow one or two lights to turn on, but others turn off all the lights.

13 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Don’t know but visited some toilets once that flushed via a motion sensor.

Maybe it's a Left Coast thing but I'm guessing half the toilets I've used do that.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Well, I guess I'm just lucky and you're not 😞 

I want to apologize to all.  I was telling my husband about this thread and he said that in fact the AC does or would go off.  It's just that we haven't been anywhere where it was so warm that it caused a problem.  We tend to travel non-summer.  Mea maxima culpa.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, clo said:

I want to apologize to all.  I was telling my husband about this thread and he said that in fact the AC does or would go off.  It's just that we haven't been anywhere where it was so warm that it caused a problem.  We tend to travel non-summer.  Mea maxima culpa.

Thanks.

I was wondering.  I had have traveled to a lot of places, and spend well over a hundred nights per year in hotels, and have never seen one where the AC stayed on if it had a card slot, without a card in it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!   Back from the cruise to Alaska and  Following up to my original question about lanyards. Here is what went into the gift bags for each of the couples we cruised with:

1. lanyards with attached Clear pockets for  holding the cruise card.  

2.  A deck of playing cards 

3.  A highlighter to indicate itinerary and activity preferences 

4.  A magnet  for the wall to hold notes and announcements 

5.  A small notebook 

6.  A clear magnetic picture frame for the cabin door that included a photo of each couple’s pet 

The pet photo was the most popular and seem to be the most appreciated. 😊