Ship or local time in Bermuda?

brandi0727

Hello,

I am booking reservations for electric vehicles in Bermuda for 11am. After realizing the time change from New York to Bermuda in June, I am not certain what time to book for? The itinerary says we are in port at 9am. Would that be Carnival ship-time, therefore, making it 10am in Bermuda? Or do they switch to local time in this port? I appreciate any clarification to not mess up reservations.

Thank you!:)

10 minutes ago, brandi0727 said:

Hello,

I am booking reservations for electric vehicles in Bermuda for 11am. After realizing the time change from New York to Bermuda in June, I am not certain what time to book for? The itinerary says we are in port at 9am. Would that be Carnival ship-time, therefore, making it 10am in Bermuda? Or do they switch to local time in this port? I appreciate any clarification to not mess up reservations.

It would be ship time. Set your watch to ship time. 

7 hours ago, BigCruze said:

It would be ship time. Set your watch to ship time. 

Hi

Yes. Don't forget that only relates to shipboard activities (like departure).

For instance, if you are looking at operating times for stores, buses, ferries, that would be local time.

have a great cruise

• Thanks 1

Here's what I know about how Carnival handles time changes and a good portion of it comes from a conversation with E/CD that has "defected" to work on RCI. On closed loop cruises Carnival will change the ship's time to local time, if and only if, more than 50% of the total cruise's port of call time is in that other time zone and there needs to be at least 36 hours between when the time change can occur (during an overnight) and arriving at the port of call and continuing to the next port of call (in a different time zone) or returning to homeport to have time for passengers to adjust for it. If all the conditions can not be met they will tend not adjust ship's time to local time.

So in the case of a ship doing a 5, 6, or 7 day cruise with Bermuda being the only port the ship docks at for 36-54 hours, the time change will usually be announced on embarkation night by the Maitre D, the CD at shows, and comedy club host(ess) as well as noted as part of your printed FunTimes. So set your watch or other time piece ahead by an hour. For the return the night that you depart from the Royal Dockyard you will be reminded to turn you clocks and such back and hour in anticipation of docking at the homeport some 36-48 hours later. For the quick getaway 4 day or less cruises it's rare to do the time change, but it could happen depending on sail away and return docking times to the home port.

But in other cases where Bermuda is just a stop for less than 30 hours it will vary as to if they adjust to Atlantic time. It really depends on how many seadays you will have between your ports and what time zones the previous and upcoming ports are on. So say a Journey's cruise leaves from Charleston with stops in San Juan, Amber Cove, and Bermuda: there is a very good chance as all 3 ports are in the Atlantic Time Zone that there will be a time change (just be careful though Amber Cove does not observe daylight savings time so if an adjustment is made during the summer ship's time there will not be local time). Now using the same home port but instead the ship is going to Bermuda first then 2 ports in the Bahamas, it's less likely because the majority of ports are in the Eastern time zone. Again it will depend on the amount of hours between ports so it is always a possibility.

On open jaw type cruises such as a Transatlantic or repositioning cruise time changes for ports of call will really depend on what time zones your departure and arrival ports are in, and where along the voyage that the stop in Bermuda happens.

• Thanks 1

It looks like Carnival Breeze will switch to match local time in Bermuda for my cruise in September. According to the Port schedule, the times in port (in local time) match exactly the times posted on Carnival's booking page.http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/YR 2019 Cruise Ship Schedule pdf.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

However, depending on how long you are in Bermuda, the ship may switch to local time so ship and local will be the same.  Just take note of messages in Fun Times and when leaving the ship.

This does not help the OP, who is booking now, and needs to know now whether s/he should book for an arrival time of 9am or 10am local.

This topic has come up in the Bermuda Ports-of-Call forum and in this forum, where I asked this same question recently:

The consensus is that there is no verified consensus.  Carnival's policy is not stated explicitly, and people's experiences seem to vary.

10 minutes ago, Cousin Eddie said:

It looks like Carnival Breeze will switch to match local time in Bermuda for my cruise in September. According to the Port schedule, the times in port (in local time) match exactly the times posted on Carnival's booking page.http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/YR 2019 Cruise Ship Schedule pdf.pdf

This seems to be the only piece of hard evidence we have that Carnival will switch to local time for the Breeze September sailings, which are in port from 4pm to 4pm.

Maybe someone should ask John Heald?

• Thanks 1

Now here is what I know about the Twizy. Rental is $99/day, mandatory local insurance is $30/day, and must be pick-up and returned to either (offsite delivery has been suspended):

- The Hamilton Princess and Beach Club: 76 Pitt's Bay Road, Pembroke  or

- The Fairmont Southampton: 101 South Shore Road, Turtle Hill, Southampton 

So you need initial transport to either of those resorts to get your rental, if you don't want to wait on the public transport schedules for the ferry to Hamilton or the public bus to the Horseshoe Bay Beach stop ($4 token/ticket for 1 way), a cab will run you $35-40 to get to either location.

There is only a couple of parking spots with charging stations in the Dockyard located near the Frog and Onion Pub. There are only 15 public use charging locations (most with multiple parking spots) on the whole island, there are others but they are located on property of resorts and reserved solely for the use of guests registered there.

• Thanks 1

My suggestion is to download the carnival hub app.  It’s free to use during your cruise.  The app has the ship’s time on it and it’s what I use to adjust my watch when I’m at port. 

D8D8C830-FD61-441A-958E-76C38CB15EC7.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

My suggestion is to download the carnival hub app.  It’s free to use during your cruise.  The app has the ship’s time on it and it’s what I use to adjust my watch when I’m at port. 

Yes, that is very useful once on board.  Again I will ask, how does this help the OP, who is making the reservation right now?

• Thanks 1

Based on Carnival's site. I see 2 ships sailing to Bermuda. Sunrise and Radiance.  Both showing 4 day itineraries. In port from 8AM-4PM.

As I understand, it's the ships staying over night that change time.  ProgRock may have better info.

But if the ship is only in port  8 hours, the ship will stay on ship time and OP needs to book reservations with that difference in mind.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, brandi0727 said:

Hello,

I would let the rental location know what ship you are sailing and what your ship itinerary states.  Then ask the rental agency for advice on booking time, since Carnival is inconsistent with adjusting.  

I did this when booking a private excursion since I was assured the vendors at Bermuda know the ship schedules better than the ships do 😉 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maryred said:

Now here is what I know about the Twizy. Rental is $99/day, mandatory local insurance is $30/day, and must be pick-up and returned to either (offsite delivery has been suspended):

- The Hamilton Princess and Beach Club: 76 Pitt's Bay Road, Pembroke  or

- The Fairmont Southampton: 101 South Shore Road, Turtle Hill, Southampton 

So you need initial transport to either of those resorts to get your rental, if you don't want to wait on the public transport schedules for the ferry to Hamilton or the public bus to the Horseshoe Bay Beach stop ($4 token/ticket for 1 way), a cab will run you $35-40 to get to either location.

There is only a couple of parking spots with charging stations in the Dockyard located near the Frog and Onion Pub. There are only 15 public use charging locations (most with multiple parking spots) on the whole island, there are others but they are located on property of resorts and reserved solely for the use of guests registered there.

I was originally thinking of renting the Twizy,  but found that a newer company has a location right at the dock, as well as several locations throughout the island that rents out Tazzari's. They have lots of charging stations and have additionally converted their plugs to work with the Twizy chargers as well. The driver and passenger get to sit side by side, it has electric windows, and AC/heat. So it appealed to me more in case of a rainstorm, adding coverage. We wanted to go all around the island on our own and stop at various places we find. Our cruise is next June,  so we still have another year to hopefully see further reviews of these vehicles. I made reservations for 2 of them, so hopefully it all works out. Thank you for the information,  I really appreciate it. I will inquire more into the company to ensure available charging access throughout the island. Definitely don't want to get stranded..Lol

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Based on Carnival's site. I see 2 ships sailing to Bermuda. Sunrise and Radiance.  Both showing 4 day itineraries. In port from 8AM-4PM.

As I understand, it's the ships staying over night that change time.  ProgRock may have better info.

But if the ship is only in port  8 hours, the ship will stay on ship time and OP needs to book reservations with that difference in mind.

We are on the Carnival Sunrise 9 night out of NY in June, 2020. We will arrive in Bermuda for our first port at 9am and stay overnight through 3pm the following day. Then we head to Grand Turk. I reserved for 11am. Therefore, if we get in at 9am and that is 10am island time I still have an hour to get off the ship and walk 5 min to the rental place for our vehicles at 11am. But if we actually dock 9am local time then we have 2 hours to get off ship,  so we'll just look around the area until it's time for pick up.  I was originally going to book it earlier, but not knowing how the time will be, decided to go with a later time. Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it. 

10 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I would let the rental location know what ship you are sailing and what your ship itinerary states.  Then ask the rental agency for advice on booking time, since Carnival is inconsistent with adjusting.  

I did this when booking a private excursion since I was assured the vendors at Bermuda know the ship schedules better than the ships do 😉 

I sent them an email late last night to verify everything.  Haven't heard back yet so I just booked an hour later just in case. I can always change it if they tell me otherwise. These forums are always so helpful and being that I'm a diligent planner I figured I might gain some insight from all the "professionals" as you all tend to be quite knowledgeable on this stuff.  Thanks for the reply! It's much appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brandi0727 said:

We are on the Carnival Sunrise 9 night out of NY in June, 2020. We will arrive in Bermuda for our first port at 9am and stay overnight through 3pm the following day. Then we head to Grand Turk. I reserved for 11am. Therefore, if we get in at 9am and that is 10am island time I still have an hour to get off the ship and walk 5 min to the rental place for our vehicles at 11am. But if we actually dock 9am local time then we have 2 hours to get off ship,  so we'll just look around the area until it's time for pick up.  I was originally going to book it earlier, but not knowing how the time will be, decided to go with a later time. Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it. 

My bad, I was under the assumption you were sailing soon.  But with an overnight, the ship should switch to local time.  Could be up to the captain.  Either way, looks like you're covered.  Enjoy the cruise.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Sunrise in Bermuda last weekend. It was a four day cruise, only a day in Bermuda.  The ship moved an hour ahead going down so we were on Bermudian time while there. Coming back to NY we gained the hour back. 

• Thanks 1

Time changed on us from Ft.Lauderdale the day before we arrived at Bermuda. We were there two days. However on the return, our time went back a day early. That was great. Giving us a day to settle the time difference before getting off.

• Like 1