Did The Upgrade Fairy Totally Die Since RoyalUp?

Royal Caribbean continues to copy NCL

specialty Dining

Hometown Cruising

automatic tipping

My Time Dining

Now Royalup

these programs were started by NCL and after much success were copied (to some degree) by Royal Caribbean 

9 minutes ago, steviek49 said:

Royal Caribbean continues to copy NCL

specialty Dining

Hometown Cruising

automatic tipping

My Time Dining

Now Royalup

these programs were started by NCL and after much success were copied (to some degree) by Royal Caribbean 

Yep, and didn't NCL recently raise the beverage gratuity to 20%?

• Like 1

I always thought the upgrade fairy was a myth/conman.  Why?  I never depended on the upgrade fairy to upgrade me.  If i had, I wouldn't have gotten the more or less free upgrades I've received in the past.  Once on Anthem, I noticed the balcony rooms dropped to the point where the price difference from an interior was $46.00.  But by upgrading, I was given an additional $100 OBC, which made my net gain of upgrading by them giving me $54 bucks!.

My current Allure cruise, i found a sale made the central park Balcony $100.00 less than my interior.  I only lost $25.00 OBC, which gave me a net positive result again.

Neither time, did some mythical upgrade fairy contacted me on these upgrades.  If one does call, great, but you're depending on both the luck of prices dropping, and the fact that YOU will be the one called regarding those availability.

6 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I always thought the upgrade fairy was a myth/conman.  Why?  I never depended on the upgrade fairy to upgrade me.  If i had, I wouldn't have gotten the more or less free upgrades I've received in the past.  Once on Anthem, I noticed the balcony rooms dropped to the point where the price difference from an interior was $46.00.  But by upgrading, I was given an additional $100 OBC, which made my net gain of upgrading by them giving me $54 bucks!.

My current Allure cruise, i found a sale made the central park Balcony $100.00 less than my interior.  I only lost $25.00 OBC, which gave me a net positive result again.

Neither time, did some mythical upgrade fairy contacted me on these upgrades.  If one does call, great, but you're depending on both the luck of prices dropping, and the fact that YOU will be the one called regarding those availability.

Not uncommon.  I have upgraded myself for little to no cost on several occasions...which always makes checking the higher cat cabin pricing after final payment very interesting!  😉

However, though I am like you and never count on a visit from the upgrade fairy...I did get a surprise free upgrade going from balcony to JS on an 11 night Serenade out of FLL once.  That was not common for sure!  First and only...and long gone now with Upbid program.  😞 

Hometown cruising is having numerous ships departing from numerous ports such as NYC, Baltimore, Boston etc instead of just major ports that you need to first fly to in Florida such as Miami and Fort Lauderdale to begin your cruise. 

People from these cities can save time and $$$ from no need to purchase airfare

Got it...thanks..I googled and searched the NCL board before asking and nothing was coming up.  Until bayonne port opened up around 2005 or so I had only sailed once (2002 to Alaska).   Now I am at cruise #23 between my Royal/celebrity cruises...so yes...what they call hometown cruising is at least 50% of that number.  And I still do land trips but avoiding the airport with a local cruise  to go on vacation is so much more relaxing.

18 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Is everyone eligible for the Royal Up program?  I also cruise a lot on Celebrity and I was never eligible for their bid-up program.  After a while I found out that my big box TA doesn't participate in the bid program.  I was wondering if Royal had similar restrictions.

Same on Royal.  A couple of the big box TA’s opted out of the program