Rotterdam Tender service not functional?

MouseBerry

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Please don’t jump to assumptions or categorize people as loyalists when you don’t know if they are or not.

I will certainly object when things aren’t right but to expect compensation when the itinerary changes is not going to happen nor should be expected.

Oceania cancelled our overnight in Bermuda and we were stuck in Nassau.  I was VERY disappointed and din’t like it but I didn’t expect the ship to reimburse me for it.  

How long has it been since you sailed HAL now?  6 years?  

Please note I have said nothing about reimbursements.  Never asked for one and never received one.  And upthread I posted I’ve missed multiple ports on multiple cruise lines,  all eight or nine lines we’ve sailed.  

2 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

As a lay person I draw the conclusion the welding was faulty.  But i defer to your nautical expertise. 

Ever read about the welding on thrill rides  breaking down after passing all government inspections?   

And those are not "faulty" welds, but "fatigued" welds, and I dare say that class society inspectors tend to require far more rigorous inspections than thrill rides.  Heck, they will x-ray welds that don't even flex much like between hull plates after a certain age of ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And those are not "faulty" welds, but "fatigued" welds, and I dare say that class society inspectors tend to require far more rigorous inspections than thrill rides.  Heck, they will x-ray welds that don't even flex much like between hull plates after a certain age of ship.

I defer to your knowledge.  

Class society inspections-  is that a reference to insurance companies?   

10 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

I defer to your knowledge.  

Class society inspections-  is that a reference to insurance companies?   

All ships, in order to receive their "certificate of registry" (think title) from the flag state, must receive a "certificate of class" from a classification society that sets rules for shipbuilding for strength, safety, etc.  These rules, at a minimum, must meet all the requirements set out by the international conventions like SOLAS, MARPOL, etc.  Without this certificate of class, countries can deny a ship entry into their waters, and the various insurance sources will not issue the various types of insurance the ship needs to sail (and lack of this insurance can also deny a ship from entering ports).  The class society will review a ship's plans during design, inspect all aspects of its construction, and make annual, biennial, and 5 year surveys of vessel condition throughout the life of the ship.  Any defects found during surveys must be remedied or the certificate of class is in jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, syesmar said:

I saw on the Reviews page where 3 (or 4?) Ports were cancelled on the Transatlantic sailing in April.  Was that a weather issue or mechanical?

As I understand from the Rotterdam Transatlantic reviews, the cancellations were weather related.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

All ships, in order to receive their "certificate of registry" (think title) from the flag state, must receive a "certificate of class" from a classification society that sets rules for shipbuilding for strength, safety, etc.  These rules, at a minimum, must meet all the requirements set out by the international conventions like SOLAS, MARPOL, etc.  Without this certificate of class, countries can deny a ship entry into their waters, and the various insurance sources will not issue the various types of insurance the ship needs to sail (and lack of this insurance can also deny a ship from entering ports).  The class society will review a ship's plans during design, inspect all aspects of its construction, and make annual, biennial, and 5 year surveys of vessel condition throughout the life of the ship.  Any defects found during surveys must be remedied or the certificate of class is in jeopardy.

Cheng, are we talking Lloyd's Register?

Edited by Copper10-8

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Cheng, are we talking Lloyd's Register?

I believe all HAL ships use LR, but other class societies are American Bureau of Ships (ABS), Det Norske Vertias (DNV), Bureau Veritas (BV), and Nippon Kaiji Kyokai (NK).  These are the big ones, there are others that are unique to the flag state they represent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding travel insurance plans, I like the insurance plans for cruisers with Nationwide.  They cover extras like itinerary changes and missed excursions.

On another somewhat related note, we were recently aboard the Nieuw Statendam and had to tender twice, though not on the itinerary.  I had read here on CC in advance that we would be tendering at Trondheim so I was prepared, but the ship’s staff seemed surprised that we were tendering there.  The other, Honningsvag, was our coldest and windiest port.  This was announced the day prior, I believe, and our ship’s staff clearly were not happy about the change by the port.  Having to pad our time to ensure we wouldn’t miss an independent excursion meant being outside in the cold earlier than expected, as most things other than the TI and souvenir shop weren’t yet open when we arrived.  We still had a great time.

17 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

Richard Q, thanks for posting the written letter.  I never doubted your story but I notice some loyalists have gone radio silent.    

Not a "loyalist," but if you are referring to me, our area has had major internet outages over the last 48 hours and we have been warned the outage will be intermittent over the next two days as repairs are made, 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:04 AM, *Miss G* said:

I’m no expert but, given that the lifeboats are for life-saving, I would think that functional tenders are mandatory.  Safety is the priority so if tendering is cancelled it would be attributable to unsafe conditions; not broken equipment.  Not every tender is used and I cannot imagine a scenario where every single tender is broken.

Slightly off topic...(Though it could be a cruise if you take a one way cruise to or from Seward or Anchorage and visited Katmai.)

Anyway, I had to make a note of your signature QUOTE "Veni Vidi Velcro I came; I saw; I stuck around"UNQUOTE

I miss seeing him....Velcro. I hope he's OK and maybe, just maybe we'll see him again. I cannot forget him at the first time his mother 273 brought him to the Falls. He was so scared and attached himself to his mom just like velcro, hence his nickname.

Joanie

WOW as I added the BF Island below, I came to the realization he's been around for 4 years now...Definitely a big boy now:)

Velcro_Sept_6_2017_Photo_By_MelissainOR.jpg

273_Velcro_LRVS_2016-10-09_7-51-19.jpg

Sow-w-1-cub_17-July-2015_2.jpg

Edited by IRL_Joanie
added a pic
  • Like 2