Is breakfast served daily in the Main Dining Room?

rl787

I have been searching through previous posts whether breakfast is still served in the MDR daily. Some say it is and some say it isn't! It is 4 years since we sailed and on our previous voyages we have always found the MDR open for Breakfast, however reading recent posts the situation seems debatable!

Can anyone tell me the definitive answer as Mrs RL loves a quiet breakfast in the MDR.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, rl787 said:

Some say it is and some say it isn't!

I think that is the correct answer. Our experience is it varies and there doesn’t seem to be any way to predict it, and imo it seems to vary depending on the cruising region, how many are on the ship etc. 

We just had this thread last week. There is no definitive answer, it depends on the cruise, the ship, the itinerary, how full it is and the whims of the hotel director. Comments suggest that the MDR has been open for breakfast on many recent cruises, although only for a single hour. And lunch .. that's anyone's guess, possible to likely on a sea day, maybe maybe-not on a port day. 

We write comments about MDR breakfast on every post-cruise survey, on our recent cruises praising them for continuing to offer it. We fear one day that there'll be few enough passengers who care that we'll all be sent to the scrum upstairs. 

Hi Rols, thanks for your reply, you mentioned "We just had this thread last week" I did a search for "MDR Breakfast" and nothing came up. If you get chance can you post the link. I do try to look up the answer myself as it is not right to ask people the same questions over and over again especially within a week!.

rols, I think you and I see things the same way when it comes to our cruising preferences.  I do love going to the MDR for breakfast---and always worry that there are so few passengers dining there at breakfast.  On days when we are leaving the ship early at a port, we do tend to order room service. 

2 hours ago, rl787 said:

Hi Rols, thanks for your reply, you mentioned "We just had this thread last week" I did a search for "MDR Breakfast" and nothing came up. If you get chance can you post the link. I do try to look up the answer myself as it is not right to ask people the same questions over and over again especially within a week!.

Sorry it was meant to be "We just had this thread last week" + smiley. The thread was called 'Lunch' which is why even a reasonable search didn't find it. 

I agree with Isklaar, the sunnier/warmer the destination the less likely the mdr is open for lunch. Imho, it makes sense as people are encouraged or more inclined to want to dine al fresco, or at least that is what i have been told. Of course there are always those who do not agree!

Just to confirm re breakfast in the MDR on Odyssey at the moment, breakfast is served in the MDR for one hour every day 8am-9am.

It is closed for lunch. We have eaten ashore at lunch every day so I am not aware of problems.

This I think is the usual practice for port intensive Med cruises.

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Just to confirm re breakfast in the MDR on Odyssey at the moment, breakfast is served in the MDR for one hour every day 8am-9am.

It is closed for lunch. We have eaten ashore at lunch every day so I am not aware of problems.

This I think is the usual practice for port intensive Med cruises.

It would be preferable if SB would offer a consistent policy on MDR opening times. Obviously there may have to be occasional exceptions for operational reasons. 

When this topic comes up on CC it's extremely difficult for any of us to give an accurate response, unless we happen to be on a Seabourn ship at the time we reply. Which may or may not be correct by the time the person asking for information is sailing.

Thanks for updating the situation on the current Odyssey cruise Julie. 

Slightly off point, but last year on the Athens to Athens Greek Odyssey cruise we went down to the MDR one morning for breakfast at 8.30am.  Surprised it was open as it hadn’t been on a Venice to Athens Cruise the year before. Terrible experience. We weren’t served our hot (by then cold and rubbery) food until 9.20am. This was despite being the only people in the MDR apart from one other couple and chasing waiters - plating up for lunch - repeatedly.  Never again!  By contrast Europa 2 Weltemeere and Crystal Serenity Waterside are well used by passengers and terrific for breakfast with fast and efficient service. Seabourn needs to get off the fence on MDR use. If it’s always available and properly staffed, people will use it. An MDR is a very nice civilised alternative from breakfast buffet hell if the cruise line takes passenger choice seriously and provides sensible hours. 

• Thanks 1

Ovener,  We had a similar experience to you with ONE waiter at breakfast in the MDR.  He did not have many tables to serve and was totally incompetent.  For that reason, we requested to be seated on the other side of the MDR at breakfast after that and the service was quite good.