Coranado ferry from cruise terminal

bostonfred

Google maps is a wonderful tool!

Here is one showing the cruise ship pier and the place from which you can get the ferry.

It is about 3minutes walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/uULrf4K574P5WRYs7

You will land at the Ferry Landing in Coronado which is not the beach or the Hotel del Coronado. From the Ferry Landing you can take a bus/taxi/uber/lyft to the Hotel del and/or beach. You can also rent bikes.

It is possible to walk but it is a good ways away. In summer there is a free bus connection but not in October.

Edited by riffatsea

12 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Google maps is a wonderful tool!

Here is one showing the cruise ship pier and the place from which you can get the ferry.

It is about 3minutes walk:

https://goo.gl/maps/uULrf4K574P5WRYs7

You will land at the Ferry Landing in Coronado which is not the beach or the Hotel del Coronado. From the Ferry Landing you can take a bus/taxi/uber/lyft to the Hotel del and/or beach. You can also rent bikes.

It is possible to walk but it is a good ways away. In summer there is a free bus connection but not in October.

Thank you..

To be honest where the ferry drops you off on Coronado is so far removed from the beach and the Hotel Del (which I'm assuming is why you'd want to go over there) that it just makes more sense to jump a quick Uber/Lyft from the pier direct to the Del than it does to take the ferry and then still have to catch a car over there. You'll save a ton of time if thats where you were headed. 

If you were headed to the little shopping village by the ferry landing (which I don't think is very impressive, but thats my opinion) then the ferry would make sense. 

My mom lived on Coronado for several years directly next to where "The Landing" is for the ferry.  I would take the ferry over and walk around the area then UBER or Taxi up to the Del.  Little known secret there is a commuter ferry in the early AM that's about 25% of the "tourist" ferry.   However, we loved to do the Harbor tour on one of the Hornblower boats.  The San Diego bay is very interesting and it would be a shame not to go up by North Island, Submarine base, and the US Navy dolphin training area.   

No SEALs up at that end of the bay only the dolphin pins.  SEALS are usually training on the ocean side south of the Del.  If they want to show off they will practice ship boarding assaults in the bay so everybody can watch.  We were lucky enough a few years ago to watch them practice fast roping onto the deck of a ship and do helicopter basket rescues off of moving boats at high speed, way to cool. 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:37 PM, princeton123211 said:

To be honest where the ferry drops you off on Coronado is so far removed from the beach and the Hotel Del (which I'm assuming is why you'd want to go over there) that it just makes more sense to jump a quick Uber/Lyft from the pier direct to the Del than it does to take the ferry and then still have to catch a car over there. You'll save a ton of time if thats where you were headed. 

If you were headed to the little shopping village by the ferry landing (which I don't think is very impressive, but thats my opinion) then the ferry would make sense. 

On 7/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, milolii said:

I agree, Ride share is a much better option.  Take it to the Hotel Del and enjoy the day.  

I COMPLETELY disagree. The ride across the bay is charming. The Ferry Landing has some interesting shops and Tartines, across the street, is a great place to grab coffee and a croissant or a light lunch, depending on when you go.

Then you can Uber or ride the bus down to the area where the Hotel del Coronado is.

I also like Sean's idea about taking a harbor tour so you can see the US Navy Sub Base Point Loma, North Island Naval Air Station (birthplace of naval aviation), the Anti-Sub Base and the dolphin pens where the US Navy keeps the dolphins they train. I'd use Flagship over Hornblower though, as they are a local company since 1915.

Edited by scottca075

You must do the bay cruise or at least the ferry across.  There is also a small water taxi between The Landing and downtown pier.  Do it at least one way and then UBER the other way if you must.   

Traffic isn't much of an issue and the drive over will take about 15 minutes.  There is a small window when the North Island NAS employees get off work, but that doesn't last long.  

• 1 month later...

Traffic across the bridge can be an issue if there is a big Navy ship (like an aircraft carrier) departing or arriving at North Island that day.  If that is the case, take the passenger ferry instead of a ride-share.

Edited by Splinter