2020 Navigator Grand Arctic Discovery - Now ONE WAY

mrlevin

Navigator was to leave New York City on 15 June 2020 for a 91 day round trip journey that included North Atlantic, Norway and Russian, Arctic Baltic, British Isles, a little Med, and back to New York City on 14 September.  Even though we couldn't take this trip in 2020, we are extremely interested in this itinerary as we are planning on booking it for 2021 if on schedule when it comes out in a few weeks.

HOWEVER, Regent has now changed this itinerary drastically such that you cannot go NYC round-trip; the cruise is now 74 nights and ends in Barcelona.  There is then a two week gap for dry dock, charter, or combination of the two, and then a transatlantic to Montreal to join up with previously scheduled cruises.

What happened?  This is a major change to a Grand Voyage yet I have not seen any reporting here or elsewhere although I might have missed it.  Now, I am a little hesitant to consider booking this in 2021 if Regent will alter at the drop of a hat (or a chance to charter).

Anyone know the reasons for the changes?

Thanks,

Marc

PS 15 day transatlantic really cheap but more than normal sea days; in addition, the seven hours in Bermuda will probably be cancelled as far out of the way and peak of hurricane season.

Edited by mrlevin

Susan, thanks.  "Opportunity" probably means "we really screwed up" as they are not only cancelling one New York to Montreal cruise they are significantly impacting the Grand Voyage.  Maybe they are going to be refitting for the new owners.

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Marc

• Like 1

>> ???  Is the Navigator being sold? <<

Unlikely . . .  as I understand it, there were some items which did not get done - I have no idea what they are - in the June dry dock and Regent felt it was better to do them sooner rather than later.

I'm disappointed that the ship isn't returning to New York but at least we have plenty of notice.

Peggy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrlevin said:

HOWEVER, Regent has now changed this itinerary drastically such that you cannot go NYC round-trip; the cruise is now 74 nights and ends in Barcelona.  There is then a two week gap for dry dock, charter, or combination of the two, and then a transatlantic to Montreal to join up with previously scheduled cruises.

What happened?  This is a major change to a Grand Voyage yet I have not seen any reporting here or elsewhere although I might have missed it.  Now, I am a little hesitant to consider booking this in 2021 if Regent will alter at the drop of a hat (or a chance to charter).

Anyone know the reasons for the changes?

Thanks,

Marc

PS 15 day transatlantic really cheap but more than normal sea days; in addition, the seven hours in Bermuda will probably be cancelled as far out of the way and peak of hurricane season.

I’m also looking at the Grand Arctic for 2021, assuming it will be offered then.  According to my Regent cruise consultant guy, the rest of the 2021 schedule is due out next month, and he’s aware of my interest in that particular cruise.  I’m doing the 131-day 2020 world cruise and the late 2020 Grand Cape Horn Adventure (68 days), so the Arctic cruise would fit nicely in 2021.

I’ll be talking to my guy at Regent this week, so I may ask about it then.

Lana in Bellingham, WA