Can I change airline seat assignment?

2tnts

I am cruising mid-October with NCL arranges flight, about 85 days to sailing.  I was able to identify the airline carrier and flight number by contacting the AA.  There is a seat assignment - The VERY last row on the plane and middle seats.

NCL has not yet purchased the airfare, I guess just reserved the flight.  

Once ticketed, will I be able to change the seat assignment????

Gee thanks a lot NCL for the splendid seat selection - - -

Middle Seat last (back) row does not recline perhaps near the

blue rest room - overhead bin filled with emergency gear no

room for carry on Oh and two 400 pound Sumo wrestlers in the

aisle and window seats !

Boy last row middle seat - talk about penalty box seating !

One quick question are you traveling solo or with a partner ?

Seats assigned together or somewhere in another galaxy -

Yes you can change your seat in the same category cabin location.

Login to the airline website and register if necessary -

enter the Record Locator code and your reservation should pop-up

browse around for a menu or seat chart - your seat as assigned should

display or be highlighted - look around for an aisle or window that has

not been selected and find and follow the prompts to change the seat(s)

If you try to select a seat not in your category normally your request will

be not be allowed or ignored i.e. Economy seat selecting a Business Class.

Having a difficult time call the airline give them the Record Locator and

ask for a seating change - anything but what you are assigned and if with

a partner get that one moved also unless you want that person to be in

misery ! The sooner you do this the better the seating options.

If you have affinity relations with that airline you maybe able to upgrade

to better seating for cash miles or round-to-its whatever is negotiable. 

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Gee thanks a lot NCL for the splendid seat selection - - -

Middle Seat last (back) row does not recline perhaps near the

blue rest room - overhead bin filled with emergency gear no

room for carry on Oh and two 400 pound Sumo wrestlers in the

aisle and window seats !

Boy last row middle seat - talk about penalty box seating !

One quick question are you traveling solo or with a partner ?

Seats assigned together or somewhere in another galaxy -

Yes you can change your seat in the same category cabin location.

Login to the airline website and register if necessary -

enter the Record Locator code and your reservation should pop-up

browse around for a menu or seat chart - your seat as assigned should

display or be highlighted - look around for an aisle or window that has

not been selected and find and follow the prompts to change the seat(s)

If you try to select a seat not in your category normally your request will

be not be allowed or ignored i.e. Economy seat selecting a Business Class.

Having a difficult time call the airline give them the Record Locator and

ask for a seating change - anything but what you are assigned and if with

a partner get that one moved also unless you want that person to be in

misery ! The sooner you do this the better the seating options.

If you have affinity relations with that airline you maybe able to upgrade

to better seating for cash miles or round-to-its whatever is negotiable. 

What would you expect the airline to do, let you fly business or 1st class on for a budget price? I would expect the seat selection to be pretty poor. We feel lucky, we too are cruising in mid Oct and we have seats for 3 of us altogether but we had expected to be seated apart and yes last rows or middle seats. When we are saving almost a thousand bucks we know we have to give up something,

We were able to choose our seats on American Airlines once NCL sent us the actual flight and the airline’s record locator and/or confirmation number.  We got that info 53 days from our cruise date.  We were limited to seat choices toward the back of the plane and are in row 22 which is 5 rows from the back.  Our flights coming from and going to Miami are non-stop so I’m very happy with the $99 per person airfare.

10 hours ago, 2tnts said:

I am cruising mid-October with NCL arranges flight, about 85 days to sailing.  I was able to identify the airline carrier and flight number by contacting the AA.  There is a seat assignment - The VERY last row on the plane and middle seats.

NCL has not yet purchased the airfare, I guess just reserved the flight.  

Once ticketed, will I be able to change the seat assignment????

Maybe and maybe not. It depends on what fare class NCL buys. If you change seats there will likely be a charge that is paid directly to the airline. There is nothing that you can do until you are actually ticketed. NCL may even put you on different flights.

Edited by zqvol

If you have your record locator, go ahead and login and pick your seat.  The same happened to me (middle seat in the back), but I was able to change my seat even though the tickets hadn't been bought yet.  Just keep an eye on your edocs to see if the flight info changes

1 hour ago, Jasonmom said:

Why don't people like to be in back of plane?

Have you ever flown back there? That is the roughest ride. If there is the least bit of turbulence you feel it the most back there, plus there are usually restrooms back there that smell, and on a lot of planes the engines sare back there and it isreally noisy.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:32 AM, Oakman58 said:

We were able to choose our seats on American Airlines once NCL sent us the actual flight and the airline’s record locator and/or confirmation number.  We got that info 53 days from our cruise date.  We were limited to seat choices toward the back of the plane and are in row 22 which is 5 rows from the back.  Our flights coming from and going to Miami are non-stop so I’m very happy with the $99 per person airfare.

We just booked a February cruise and got the  $99 per person airfare also. (Deal maker for us)  So you received your flight information 53 days ahead of the cruise. Did you receive the information via email or by checking your booking on the web site.  Once you were able to log into the airlines web site, did you find that the seat assignments they selected had you sitting together.  Would their selections have worked out for you? Then when you did change your seat locations, was there many choices ? Thank you. And others that have been through this can chime in too.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, newmexicoNita said:

What would you expect the airline to do, let you fly business or 1st class on for a budget price? I would expect the seat selection to be pretty poor. We feel lucky, we too are cruising in mid Oct and we have seats for 3 of us altogether but we had expected to be seated apart and yes last rows or middle seats. When we are saving almost a thousand bucks we know we have to give up something,

Really, because the only seat on the plane that is not business or 1st class is the last row middle seat? Glad you feel lucky, the OP, not so much. If I get that seat, I'd be looking to change it too, and no, I wouldn't expect business or 1st class. Any other economy seat would be better.

OP, I hope you are able to change it, please let us know.

Lois

2 hours ago, 2+2 said:

We just booked a February cruise and got the  $99 per person airfare also. (Deal maker for us)  So you received your flight information 53 days ahead of the cruise. Did you receive the information via email or by checking your booking on the web site.  Once you were able to log into the airlines web site, did you find that the seat assignments they selected had you sitting together.  Would their selections have worked out for you? Then when you did change your seat locations, was there many choices ? Thank you. And others that have been through this can chime in too.

I did the online check-in 60 days out and at that time the edocs didn't show any flight info.  At 53 days we got an email to do our online check-in so when I checked the edocs the flight info was there.  The next day I got and email from NCL with the air confirmation reservation.

When I logged into the airline (AA) we didn't have seat assignments but there was a box to click on to "choose your seat."  We did have a decent choice of seats to pick but they were all in the economy section toward the back of the plane.

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

I did the online check-in 60 days out and at that time the edocs didn't show any flight info.  At 53 days we got an email to do our online check-in so when I checked the edocs the flight info was there.  The next day I got and email from NCL with the air confirmation reservation.

When I logged into the airline (AA) we didn't have seat assignments but there was a box to click on to "choose your seat."  We did have a decent choice of seats to pick but they were all in the economy section toward the back of the plane.

One of the big factors in the seating game is getting seatstogether instead of s-e-a-t-s-a-p-a-r-t !

Often you look at the seating matrix and all that are left is center (middle) seats.

Don't waste any time in making a selection - flights traveling today are booked almost at 95 % capacity with standbys  ***

at the gate filling the cabin full. Looking at that upgrade something forward in the cabin that too is nothing to wait and see.

*** standbys - I worked for a major airline and my free travel benefits are now pretty much back of the bus seating.

When booking a cruise I also book reserved airline space to avoid not getting on a flight and arriving at the pier too late

for the cruise.

Seating is first come first serve in selection - be there timely to get the best arrangement !  

3 hours ago, electro said:

Really, because the only seat on the plane that is not business or 1st class is the last row middle seat? Glad you feel lucky, the OP, not so much. If I get that seat, I'd be looking to change it too, and no, I wouldn't expect business or 1st class. Any other economy seat would be better.

OP, I hope you are able to change it, please let us know.

Lois

My view comes from reality. For years we flew on passes. Both our daughters were air line employees. We would sometimes fly free but often with some charge. This meant taking whatever seats were available. Now, today's seating on many lines is based on the cost of the fight. If I am flying 1/2 way across the country for $99 I would be ok with any seat I was assigned. Would I be happy? of course not, but I would just be happy to fly for almost nothing. Yes, we were lucky, we did get seats together. At first we were not together. We were  not even on the same plane; all is good, that got corrected. 

I forgot to mention that when we chose our seat we did have the option to upgrade to better seating.  The cost ranged from $19 to $49 per seat.  Since we were satisfied with our seats we didn't bother.

Factoring in the option to upgrade there were plenty of seats to choose from, probably because it's a 5:44 AM flight.

Edited by Oakman58

33 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

My view comes from reality. 

This line did not come from reality:

What would you expect the airline to do, let you fly business or 1st class on for a budget price? 

the OP said nothing about wanting first class!  Requesting to change from one economy seat (worst one on the plane) to another is not an unreasonable request.

Anyone (except you?) would try to change that.

Since my flight was free, I would not have been upset at all if I had to fly in the middle seat.  Even if I had paid, I'm fine if that's all that is left.  I was just pointing out that you should check as soon as you get your record locator because they will put you in terrible seats even when there are plenty of great seats available.  Any yes, at least on American airlines, you can also pay for upgraded seats

Wondering if anyone has been able to upgrade on United to Economy Plus?  We figured out our airline and contacted them for the locator number.  We are in Economy and would love to upgrade to Economy Plus since it's a 5 hour flight to HNL and that extra legroom would be wonderful !!  Can't do anything until NCL pays for our ticket...even though OUR final payment was 120 days out!!

following

and my never ending joke about the last row is that I really wanted to book the bathroom seat but they would not accommodate me

goes along with the boarding process and the platinum blah blah blah members, you all go first then the rest of us losers

13 hours ago, electro said:

the OP said nothing about wanting first class!  Requesting to change from one economy seat (worst one on the plane) to another is not an unreasonable request.

Anyone (except you?) would try to change that.

oh for heavens sake: drop it!!! I was saying what I did tongue in cheek and I think most understood that. Of course she was not asking for first class. I was also referring to a poster not the OP. I don't blame her for trying to get a better seat, I was simply saying we should all expect not to get anything except the less desirable seats. I would think anyone would understand exactly what I was getting out. Now, I have said my last word on the topic. No sense beating a dead horse. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I forgot to mention that when we chose our seat we did have the option to upgrade to better seating.  The cost ranged from $19 to $49 per seat.  Since we were satisfied with our seats we didn't bother.

Factoring in the option to upgrade there were plenty of seats to choose from, probably because it's a 5:44 AM flight.

Thank you.  Very helpful. Looks like I need to be on top of it around 60 days out. And nice to know you can upgrade.