Westerdam versus Neuw Amsterdam

Wdavid1019

Would please like advice relative to choosing between Westerdam and Neuw Amsterdam for an Alaskan voyage?  Obviously Neuw is newer but a little more expensive or Westerdam older but can get a better class cabin.  Always tradeoffs,  but although both ships did a retrofit in 2017,  I am guess I am asking is Neuw being slightly nicer overall since it is a newer ship worth going on relative to getting a slightly better cabin by going on Westerdam?  Thanks so much.

Westerdam is one of the Vista class ships, and yes, it's a bit older than the NA, but I don't think you'll feel that "age difference" in the least.  I disagree strongly with your assumption that the NA is "nicer".  As already mentioned, NA has the Tamarind, which I agree is a great restaurant, but overall, for Alaska especially, the Westerdam being slightly smaller I think is an advantage.  If you can afford a better category cabin on Westerdam, it's a no-brainer. I think you will love Westerdam. She is wonderful. 

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Haven’t been on the N A for awhile, not sure if she has the new tv system?  

The Nieuw Amsterdam had the upgraded TV system when I sailed her a few years ago.

• Like 1

They are both nice ships and we enjoyed our cruises on both of them.  The only thing we preferred on the N. Amsterdam was that it has the Tamarind restaurant which we love.  But if you can get a better cabin on the Westerdam for the same price, I would probably do that.  Either way you will have a great cruise.

24 minutes ago, Wdavid1019 said:

thank you all very much!

We've been on both.  We didn't enjoy Tamarind as much as some and don't think it should be the deciding factor.  Our last cruise was on NAM and so is our next cruise.  We would have preferred a Vista class because we love the aft suites on Westerdam deck five.