Saga transfers to and from Dover

Mrs Miggins

17 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Incidental question. 

Whilst we know that basic gratuities are included in our cruise fare, are we expected to tip the taxi/transfer driver?  When using a taxi for a £25 of £50 airport run we tip but Dover is a lot further. 

Hi Cinnamon, we are having a hard time remembering but think we tipped a small amount, probably £5, certainly not the amount one would tip had the journey been arranged independently.

Just a ‘thank you’ really.

Have a great time, the weather for Bergen looks promising according to the BBC 🙂

Looking forward to your blog, I followed your Azamara one.

18 hours ago, Glenndale said:

My S-I-L who is 4 hours away from Dover assuming normal traffic and 5 hours away given heavy traffic has a 1pm pick up time. Around 220 miles away.

This seems incredibly late to me. This is not allowing for a 'comfort stop'.

Any example of pick up times and travel times with examples from folks on here please?

We were collected at 13:45. We had a two hour journey to Dover and the ship sailed at 18:00.

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

Hi Cinnamon, we are having a hard time remembering but think we tipped a small amount, probably £5, certainly not the amount one would tip had the journey been arranged independently.

Just a ‘thank you’ really.

Have a great time, the weather for Bergen looks promising according to the BBC 🙂

Looking forward to your blog, I followed your Azamara one.

Thank you, good to know.

I’ll start the blog later today, with the usual background stuff. As Saga is a relatively ‘new’ thread on Cruise Critic I don’t think anyone has done one before but they are fairly common on the mainstream lines.  

Edited by cinnamon

I’d suggest your S-I-L holds fire on worrying until the letter arrives - our letter with the actual timing arrived and we’re being collected at 15.05. MySaga is now showing 15.05 instead of 13.00 and there’s now a note saying that any timing is provisional until the final documents are sent. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, Glenndale said:

I think if you are taking 4 cases plus hand luggage it would be best to let Saga know in advance.

We were informed by Saga one suitcase and one piece of hand luggage per person is maximum allowed for our SOD cruise next month.

2 hours ago, brimary said:

We were informed by Saga one suitcase and one piece of hand luggage per person is maximum allowed for our SOD cruise next month.

We took 3 large cases plus hand luggage on our 15 night Northern Lights cruise.

I will certainly need more than 1 case for our Caribbean trip.

We rang Saga and told them beforehand how many cases we were taking. It wasn't a problem.

21 hours ago, Glenndale said:

We took 3 large cases plus hand luggage on our 15 night Northern Lights cruise.

I will certainly need more than 1 case for our Caribbean trip.

We rang Saga and told them beforehand how many cases we were taking. It wasn't a problem.

Thanks for the info more than enough for us.

• 3 months later...

We are looking at a Spirit of Discovery cruise that goes from Southampton but returns to Dover.  Can anyone tell me what happens as far as picking  up to go to one port but returning us from another?  Incidentally we only live about 20 mins from Southampton.  We are looking at one of the mid-ship suites.  Most of our cruising has been with P&O but we prefer the smaller ships and we don't like the direction that P&O seem to be moving towards.  I'd be grateful for any help.

The transfers work perfectly - the only difference for you personally would be that you would be  likely to have a car to yourselves on the outward journey  and if you live  more than 75 miles from Dover  would probably have to share with another couple on the way back.