Best value on the free offerings

nuthut

2 hours ago, HOSKI said:

Those aren't listed online for me to book.  We would use it on that if we could.  Do you book it once you get off the ship and still use the credit?

I wonder if this would be considered an excursion.  I'm guessing it won't, especially since it's not on the excursion list online.  Since you would have to call the shore excursions folks anyway to book (to avoid being charged beforehand), you can ask them if renting clamshells are considered excursions.  Now I'm curious because I would also do this if allowed.

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I wonder if this would be considered an excursion.  I'm guessing it won't, especially since it's not on the excursion list online.  Since you would have to call the shore excursions folks anyway to book (to avoid being charged beforehand), you can ask them if renting clamshells are considered excursions.  Now I'm curious because I would also do this if allowed.

Renting a paddle board or a kayak is considered an excursion.  Other cruise lines consider them an excursion so I wonder..... At worst I will find out in November.

5 hours ago, HOSKI said:

Renting a paddle board or a kayak is considered an excursion.  Other cruise lines consider them an excursion so I wonder..... At worst I will find out in November.

Yes, but we're talking about the clamshells.  

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Yes, but we're talking about the clamshells.  

Just last week I used the $50 credit for a clamshell and floating mat. (I think I went about dollar over). I wouldn't go out of my way for the $50 credit, but if it's being offered and truly free it's nice to have. 

48 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Just last week I used the $50 credit for a clamshell and floating mat. (I think I went about dollar over). I wouldn't go out of my way for the $50 credit, but if it's being offered and truly free it's nice to have. 

Great.  I'll keep this in mind.  Did you book it thru the shore excursions desk?

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Great.  I'll keep this in mind.  Did you book it thru the shore excursions desk?

The clam shell yes (but also could have just done it on the beach), and the mat we just did while we were on the beach.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:12 AM, HOSKI said:

The one we are having a really hard time using is the shore excursions.  We found NCL excursions way too expensive.  We have booked our own instead of using the credit and saved money.

I am not sure what the credit comment means, but with the shoreX you're not immediately charged. You are charged upon boarding,  but can call and pay early for all or some of your excursions. 

I book excursions with NCL so this is the best one for me. It gives me $200-300 of money I would actually spend, a true discount.  It can be used for a post cruise tour and transfer too making the cost for a ride to the airport negligible. 

Specialty dining would be my 2nd choice. It is a small fee for some dining treats. We are going to Cirque dinner show, Lacucina and Lebistro with our first Specialty package next month. However, we are content with MDR options so would never "buy" the package. 

I use my phone in port for $10/day. I don't need wifi onboard.

Edited by Nola26

I've booked several cruises on NCL and found the cost of the free at sea promos to not be worth it in my case. I've booked the cheapest "sail away" rate every time.

For example, upgrading from a "sail away" inside cabin (no free at sea promo)       to a regular inside cabin (can choose one free at sea promo)  typically costs $100 per person ($200 per cabin) on a 7-day cruise. So you are paying $200 to pick one free at sea promo.

Here's how I look at the costs for each perk:

1) I don't drink alcohol so the unlimited open bar isn't worth it for me, but can be worth it for those who drink a lot, even with the extra cost of gratuities

2) The 250 minute Wifi package is sold by NCL for $105. Picking this perk means you actually pay $200 for a $105 wifi package. Am I missing something here? https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

3) The 3-meal dining package is sold by NCL for $99 per person or $198 for two people.  Why would I pay $200 to pick a free at sea dining package worth $198? am I missing something here? https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

4) The shore excursions are naturally overpriced, so the $50 credit per cabin (or $25 per person per port) provides very little savings for a cabin of 2 people. I prefer to book excursions independently, which saves me more than $25 per person. This perk might be worth it for those who like the convenience of booking shore excursions with NCL and don't want to worry about the ship leaving without them.

In most cases, the cheapest "sail away" cabin provides the most value for me since I don't drink alcohol and I'm usually trying to get the cheapest cabin possible. Granted that NCL's promotions fluctuate all the time and it could end up being a good deal for me to pay for the upgrade to pick some of these "free" offers. I just hate how this promo just makes it hard to compare the cost of a cruise, just like how airlines hide costs in all those extra fees they charge.

3 hours ago, shirtboy said:

I've booked several cruises on NCL and found the cost of the free at sea promos to not be worth it in my case. I've booked the cheapest "sail away" rate every time.

For example, upgrading from a "sail away" inside cabin (no free at sea promo)       to a regular inside cabin (can choose one free at sea promo)  typically costs $100 per person ($200 per cabin) on a 7-day cruise. So you are paying $200 to pick one free at sea promo.

Here's how I look at the costs for each perk:

1) I don't drink alcohol so the unlimited open bar isn't worth it for me, but can be worth it for those who drink a lot, even with the extra cost of gratuities

2) The 250 minute Wifi package is sold by NCL for $105. Picking this perk means you actually pay $200 for a $105 wifi package. Am I missing something here? https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

3) The 3-meal dining package is sold by NCL for $99 per person or $198 for two people.  Why would I pay $200 to pick a free at sea dining package worth $198? am I missing something here? https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

4) The shore excursions are naturally overpriced, so the $50 credit per cabin (or $25 per person per port) provides very little savings for a cabin of 2 people. I prefer to book excursions independently, which saves me more than $25 per person. This perk might be worth it for those who like the convenience of booking shore excursions with NCL and don't want to worry about the ship leaving without them.

In most cases, the cheapest "sail away" cabin provides the most value for me since I don't drink alcohol and I'm usually trying to get the cheapest cabin possible. Granted that NCL's promotions fluctuate all the time and it could end up being a good deal for me to pay for the upgrade to pick some of these "free" offers. I just hate how this promo just makes it hard to compare the cost of a cruise, just like how airlines hide costs in all those extra fees they charge.

If you don't care where your cabin is located and you neither drink or use the specialty dining rooms, plus want to get the best price I think you are doing it the right way. That is why there are the two options. What works for some does not always work for someone else.