sail away rates who gets upgrated by ncl

waterjock

How does ncl decide who gets upgraded when it oversells a cabin choice. I would think they look at past cruise history and latitudes level.Do you think they look at package added  on to the sail away rate.or price paid as rates lower as you get close to sail date. Any one no why they where upgraded.

Edited by waterjock

It is very rare for an oversell and free upgrade to happen these days.

They perform sophisticated yield management on each category now and use the upgrade bidding to move people up into unsold inventory with extra revenue.  For example: They anticipate 50 balconies unsold, and send bidding offers to insides and oceanviews, meanwhile, they can oversell those categories by a combined 50 knowing they will be freed up by bidding.

I have sailed over 150 days on NCL(I will be platinum plus after my next cruise of 30+ days) and always booked sail away.  Never have I got upgraded, not once.  I don't care because I am happy with what I book, but just wanted to give my input.  It seems status has nothing to do with it, and like others said, it is all a bid process now it seems.

But in NCL's defense.....I am elite on Princess and have never got upgraded either! haha, just not in the cards for us.

I was asking about inside sail away rates. They always lower the inside cabin rates first to get more bookings. They do not care if they overbook  because they can upgrade someone from an inside cabin. Has anyone been upgraded from an inside sail away without bidding for one.

Above poster had 150 hours booked sail away each time and never upgraded.  What happens now with upgrade advantage normally is say person 1 is in a inside cabin with cabin already assigned sail away or not it’s been assigned, but they bid for upgrade, you don’t bid, not even the minimum, so it’s then in ncls best interest to upgrade the person bidding, then giving you that inside cabin assignment, before upgrade advantage maybe free upgrades but now very doubtful, after all they are in business to make money

38 minutes ago, waterjock said:

I was asking about inside sail away rates. They always lower the inside cabin rates first to get more bookings. They do not care if they overbook  because they can upgrade someone from an inside cabin. Has anyone been upgraded from an inside sail away without bidding for one.

All my sail away rates were for an inside cabin.  As stated above, after 150+ days,  I have never gotten an upgrade.  I did bid once, but didn't even get that! haha