New to Cunard

oskidunker

Have sailed exclusively on Princess. Thinking of Sept 11 2020. 14 day New York Canadian  cruise  on QM 2 and wondering what your impression is of sheltered balconies. I see the non sheltered are about $1000 more per person. Is it worth it?  From what I see, outside rooms appear to-only have a port  hole. Does it open?

Any  other advice would be appreciated. Will this likely book up early? Not wanting to book until late Dec or Jan.  I did a dummy booking and it looks like allot of balconies are already taken. 

Basically tired of Princess dumbing down the experience with no enforcement of the dress code and limited seating in rooms below mini suite. Plus maybe a change would be nice. How does the planetarium work? Do they have shows? Are the dance shows hard to get in to? Reservations?

Edited by oskidunker

18 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Have sailed exclusively on Princess. Thinking of Sept 11 2020. 14 day New York Canadian  cruise  on QM 2 and wondering what your impression is of sheltered balconies. I see the non sheltered are about $1000 more per person. Is it worth it?  From what I see, outside rooms appear to-only have a port  hole. Does it open?

Port Hole does not open.

My only complaint about Sheltered Balcony cabins is the inability to view the Sea when sitting on your Balcony .

Check out the Deck 8 Obstructed views for a cabin that has some view between the lifeboats and equipment to save on a Balcony.

Any  other advice would be appreciated. Will this likely book up early? Not wanting to book until late Dec or Jan.  I did a dummy booking and it looks like allot of balconies are already taken. 

This season, 2019,there are currently great close in rates on select categories but without the perks of  earlier Sales , so you could wait  on 2020

Basically tired of Princess dumbing down the experience with no enforcement of the dress code and limited seating in rooms below mini suite. Plus maybe a change would be nice. How does the planetarium work? Do they have shows? Are the dance shows hard to get in to? Reservations?

Dance shows (I guess you mean Production shows ? ) No reservations . Get there 15 minutes before for nice seats.

Tickets for Planetarium  shows are available morning of each show. 

Evening dress codes are enforced but I get away with a  dark suit on Formal nights and a sport coat without tie  on the others , just fine.

Edited by MCC retired

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

On your voyage you will have a number of port days, so a sheltered balcony, and the lower cost might just fit the bill. You can see the ocean or the port when you are standing up with no problem. You will have more light than in an outside (no the porthole doesn't open).

The only things that require reservations are the planetarium with easy to get free tickets, and the extra charge dining venues. While Cunard does provide additional services to Club and Grills passengers, there is almost nothing you cannot do or any where you cannot go, the exceptions being the Grills Lounge, Grills Concierge and the Grills deck (11 Aft).

It will seem a lot more 'grown up' on Cunard and you are not likely to see men in 'sleeveless shirts, running around in flip-flops, like I saw on my last, and I do mean last Princess voyage.

The first time you pull up to the pier with QM2 looming behind it, it just might take your breath away. She is a grand Ocean Liner, not a cruise ship. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Here are couple of pictures from our sheltered balcony. While we prefer an unobstructed glass balcony, we were very happy with our sheltered balcony cabin. Of course it depends on the individual to evaluate the price difference between the two but we sort of look at it backwards. Rather than asking if the unobstructed glass balcony is worth the additional cost, we see the sheltered balcony as a great value. One other point. While it is true that you can't see the water when sitting on a sheltered balcony, we tend to stand at the rail regardless of the of the balcony type. If we are going to sit, we go to the promenade deck for a proper deck chair.

Sorry, I know these are not the best of quality.

Jack

IMG_2028.thumb.JPG.0c4f9a9cf1b48107f072632d68153caa.JPGIMG_2041.thumb.JPG.c8eff0e8a12549cb08d60244aa710dde.JPG

IMG_2224.thumb.JPG.eeb983456f909a511480379fef0d80be.JPG

• Thanks 1

Any  other advice would be appreciated. Will this likely book up early? Not wanting to book until late Dec or Jan

That would be 9 months out. I think you'd be OK. We often do the December crossings, and book in October. The fares within the 90-day deposit deadline often drop, once Cunard knows how many cabins to fill. Of course, you don't get  your choice of cabins, and you do risk that a trip might sell out. Although it hasn't hapened to us yet.

You will have more light than in an outside (no the porthole doesn't open). 

As Mike pointed out, the portholes don't open. However I'll take issue with his claim that there's more light with a sheltered balcony. We had an ocean view in July (our first since QE2 days). We had a friend on that trip, on the same side of the ship. Our cabin had **much** more sunlight than hers. So much so that we had to close the drapes when we wanted to take photos.

How does the planetarium work? Do they have shows?

The planetarium involves a dome that descends within Illuminations (the movie theater). Be advised that the planetarium shows may get cancelled during heavy weather... the dome can jam in an up or down position! The shows are usually recorded ones, from well known planetariums (I've forgotten specific names, but the Hayden may be one). A treat one time was when there was an astronomer aboard, and he did a live planetarium show.

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

My travel agent says this cruise is also being sold as a crossing from Quebec City to Southampton. Maybe this is why there don't seem to be allot of cabins available. 

Not only that. Your voyage is being sold in all of these various combinations. I've highlighted the voyage you are considering in red.

M028A: Sep 4-Sep 18, 14 nights, Southampton-New York-Quebec

M028B: Sep 4-Sep 25, 21 nights, Southampton-New York- Quebec-New York

M028C: Sep 4-Oct 2, 28 nights, Southampton-New York-Quebec-New York-Southampton

M029: Sep 11-Sep 18, 7-nights, New York-Quebec

M029A: Sep 11-Sep 25, 14 nights, New York-Quebec-New York

M029B: Sep 11-Oct 2, 21 nights, New York-Quebec-New York-Southampton

M030: Sep 18-Sep 25, 7 nights, Quebec-New York

M030A: Sep 18-Oct 2, 14 nights, Quebec-New York-Southampton

This all has a bearing on what is being shown for cabin availability on your particular voyage. As I understand the process, inventory is allocated per voyage and then adjusted as needed based on sales. For example, I see several balcony cabins that are currently showing as available on both of the individual 7-night segments of your voyage (between New York and Quebec), but those cabins do not show as available on your full 14-night voyage (round trip from New York).

Edited by bluemarble