Luggage

QueSeraSera

2 hours ago, clo said:

For a second I thought you were saying that you carry those on an airplane but now see it's for roadtrips.  Good 🙂

But that's what we use for cruises.  So far the longest was three weeks, but we will have 27 days coming up next year.  EM

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, crystalspin said:

One thing I find room for (in the bottom of my daypack) is a roll-up toiletry bag like this: 

Image result for roll up toiletry bag

But not for toiletries, it is first aid and "dry" health necessities. I did put it all in a gallon ziplock when weighing every little thing for that first Norwegian Air flight, but I vastly prefer being able to hang in on the back of the door, and knowing where everything is.

Do you know there is a tablet form of cough suppressant? Mucinex or generic dextromethorphan! Doesn't have to go in 3-1-1 bag if flying and costs much less than cough syrup if you have to buy in on the ship. I also take Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benedryl -- I bought dollar-store containers and filled them to the max from home supplies. That provides enough for middle-of-the-night needs, and often enough to get to a shore-side store.

Speaking of 3-1-1 bag: you can get A LOT of stuff in there if you don't treat 3oz as a requirement. I have 1.25oz GoToob containers for my shampoo and gel -- I do have v.short hair -- but 2oz container may be all you need even with long or demanding hair. That's for 2-3 weeks. I haven't gone as far as bar-shampoo, but some people do! 

That's one of the nicer toiletry bags I've seen 🙂 Dextromethorphan is a suppressant (good to know it comes in tablet), but Mucinex is guaifenesin which is a thinner/expectorant.  It makes coughs more productive, but doesn't suppress.

OP - we've been happy with Lucas brand lightweight luggage from Boscov's.  We got it Black Friday several years ago, but it is likely on sale all the time.  4 wheel spinner with several color options and sizes are sold separately. We are trying to get down to carry-on only, but with snorkel equipment (among other stuff) we will likely always want at least one larger (26-28") bag.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

But that's what we use for cruises.  So far the longest was three weeks, but we will have 27 days coming up next year.  EM

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I thought you were carrying that much onto an airplane.

I find that we don't need much more for a month of travel (regardless of mode) than we do for a week.  We just returned from a road trip including about ten days in Seattle and a week on the road.  One good-sized suitcase and this

LUCAS Wheeled Underseat Cabin Bag 16"

11 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Dextromethorphan is a suppressant (good to know it comes in tablet), but Mucinex is guaifenesin which is a thinner/expectorant.  It makes coughs more productive, but doesn't suppress.

I appreciate your defining this for folks.  It's not giving medical advice, which I don't do, but it's good info.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I thought you were carrying that much onto an airplane.

I'm pretty sure that what @chipmaster meant by rollerboard is a carryon suitcase, and by good backpack he meant a daypack as personal item that goes under the seat in front. I do not know what they meant by roadtrip, but I wouldn't assume it meant a car trip. After all if you could travel that way in a car, why not a plane?

And I know that @Essiesmom travels (including by plane) with a rollaboard and a personal item. Not a "good sized suitcase" plus a wheeled bag. As do we whenever possible -- Finnair and Norwegian Air just make it impossible.

So you were clear. Just mistaken.

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I'm pretty sure that what @chipmaster meant by rollerboard is a carryon suitcase, and by good backpack he meant a daypack as personal item that goes under the seat in front. I do not know what they meant by roadtrip, but I wouldn't assume it meant a car trip. After all if you could travel that way in a car, why not a plane?

And I know that @Essiesmom travels (including by plane) with a rollaboard and a personal item. Not a "good sized suitcase" plus a wheeled bag. As do we whenever possible -- Finnair and Norwegian Air just make it impossible.

So you were clear. Just mistaken.

I also didn't mention that what I described is for the two of us.  One suitcase that we check and that one carryon that will fit under the seat.

BTW, we flew Norwegian for the first time in March.  To Bergen.  But we did Premium.  So worth and crazier less than any business.

• Like 1

Hi,

we travel with one midsize suitcase for the 2 of us. I always bring along an empty bag in my suitcase. This for when I buy too much and my luggage doesn't fit anymore....This works for us. But everybody packs differently, so you just need to find out what works for you. Just remember there are laundry rooms and laundry service onboard. (I also always bring a little laundry soap for a hand wash just in case)

• Thanks 1