Port Canaveral Security Line

Wisjon

November 2018 boarding Oasis at Port Orlando. Took transfer from MCO. Arrived PO at 11 a.m. Security line one-hour long. No special line for Diamond or Diamond Plus. Did have line for Pinnacle. Will be on Harmony November. Any news on security line?

• Clarea changed the title to Port Canaveral Security Line

Went out of Port Canaveral in Jan. on an Oasis cruise and again in May on Mariner. 

Both times were quick through security and check in. Oasis took about 30 mins, with another 30 min waiting for them to start boarding. 

Mariner, we literally walked up to security, went up the escalators... walked to someone holding a tablet.... 'click click'... done. Walked on the ship. 
I would say 15 mins from parking lot to being on board. With 5 mins. of that walking from the parking lot. 

Going on Harmony of the Seas in September. One person in our party has 'Expedited check in' on their set sail pass.... from what I have read is that since he has it... we can all go to that line. Supposedly it is shorter, quicker, and you get to board either with or just behind the VIP/suites/status folks.  

Port Canaveral has one lane for Suites, Pinnacles and Mobility impaired, and one line for everyone else. We will be on Harmony again in two weeks and will look to see whether anything's changed since we were there on Mariner back in July. I remember when they initially made the changes last fall to eliminate the D, D+ lanes, and there was a lot of blowback from the passengers (including us when we sailed on Oasis in January, since it was raining cats & dogs and the single line snaked all the way through the parking garage - it took us ~90 minutes from car to check-in. (that may have been exacerbated by the fact that the government was shut down at the time). We've been through there three times since then, and there is no visual evidence that they will ever bring back the D,D+ lanes.

Edited by orville99

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I remember hearing those stories but have not heard about that being a problem lately

No issue at all last week. Arrived just after noon. This was a Sunday for Harmony 

Headed over soon for Mariner

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

I assume that has no bearing on a D or D+ in terms length of wait in the security line?

I was surprised to see a lack of line outside the terminal and then the check in employees were another surprise.  See I didnt really notice the other lines.  Obviously we were in the Suite/Pinnacle line on the right

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assume that has no bearing on a D or D+ in terms length of wait in the security line?

Whenever we sail out of PC in a suite, check-in is a breeze, as the Suite/Pinnacle/Mobility line is usually empty. On Harmony in May (JS), and the non-suite line snaked back & forth inside of the terminal but didn't quite make it out the terminal doors, so maybe they've got it figured out a bit. The lines didn't seem to be a problem (either one) when we sailed out of PC on Mariner (July) or Enchantment (March).

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I was surprised to see a lack of line outside the terminal and then the check in employees were another surprise.  See I didnt really notice the other lines.  Obviously we were in the Suite/Pinnacle line on the right

John, How'd you like the new customs facial recognition procedure when you got back?

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

John, How'd you like the new customs facial recognition procedure when you got back?

Blew me away. We were off the ship, grabbed luggage, got a taxi and were home in under 30 minutes

• Like 1

I have never run into a long security line that ran out into the parking garage area.  Always walked right in.  Usual arrival time is just after 11 am.  Most times we walk right onto the ship after security and check in.  

Guess I have been lucky, and have sailed out of PC many times.  Not as often as John 😉 ...but frequently anyway. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Only change was the check in prior to security.  

Could you elaborate on what that checkin was? I hear about the tablets and how easy it is for checkin, so is there a line for security first or after the checkin?  Sorry I get confused on the exact procedure and order of things.

23 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

Could you elaborate on what that checkin was? I hear about the tablets and how easy it is for checkin, so is there a line for security first or after the checkin?  Sorry I get confused on the exact procedure and order of things.

Only experienced this in the suites line, but there were several port staff with iPads waiting for us before security as we entered the terminal. They used the iPads to scan our passports, set sail passes, and take our pictures. Took all of two minutes, and then they handed me a laminated card that said "Checked in" and we went through the baggage scanners/metal detectors and up the escalators and were ushered directly to the gangway. We were on board within 10 minutes of entering the terminal.

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Only experienced this in the suites line, but there were several port staff with iPads waiting for us before security as we entered the terminal. They used the iPads to scan our passports, set sail passes, and take our pictures. Took all of two minutes, and then they handed me a laminated card that said "Checked in" and we went through the baggage scanners/metal detectors and up the escalators and were ushered directly to the gangway. We were on board within 10 minutes of entering the terminal.

Yep, that was our experience last week and Laura's today. Laura boarded at 1:00 today. No lines at all. 

I'll try and pay attention to the other lines on Sunday

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'll try and pay attention to the other lines on Sunday

John you posted some good pictures on your last Harmony review of Terminal 1.  I would be extremely interested  if you have time to photo and document each step from dropping off your bags to actually getting on board. Being the anal person that I am, seeing the visual of what I will be going through helps my mind get a grasp of everything.

20190804_095908.thumb.jpg.1a705bf6d1ead3fa4672a7dd59ee47cf.jpg

27 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

John you posted some good pictures on your last Harmony review of Terminal 1.  I would be extremely interested  if you have time to photo and document each step from dropping off your bags to actually getting on board. Being the anal person that I am, seeing the visual of what I will be going through helps my mind get a grasp of everything.

20190804_095908.thumb.jpg.1a705bf6d1ead3fa4672a7dd59ee47cf.jpg

Once you enter building, no cameras until you go upstairs to board.  At that point you are just walking through.

Same with departure 

Sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The camera thing is just so much BS.  There has been a heavy in New Orleans for the past 8 years grabbing cameras from folks just want to record their cruise experience.  What in a hall with a bunch of vacationairs could be a security threat?