Pondering upsell offer

operakatz

For starters, we are thrilled with the cabin we snagged on the Oosterdam Alaska 7-day (aft-facing deck 4 verandah) and got a rather insane deal on it. Just got upsell offer from TA for Neptune (SA, SB or SC all possible) suite for additional $339pp but of course no ability to choose location. If I'm scanning the deckplan properly, all the SA and SC NS are on Rotterdam deck with SBs the aft-wraps.

Ack. Thoughts? This is only our 2nd cruise so we haven't played the upsell game before.

12 minutes ago, operakatz said:

For starters, we are thrilled with the cabin we snagged on the Oosterdam Alaska 7-day (aft-facing deck 4 verandah) and got a rather insane deal on it. Just got upsell offer from TA for Neptune (SA, SB or SC all possible) suite for additional $339pp but of course no ability to choose location. If I'm scanning the deckplan properly, all the SA and SC NS are on Rotterdam deck with SBs the aft-wraps.

Ack. Thoughts? This is only our 2nd cruise so we haven't played the upsell game before.

No ability to choose a room, really?  I’ve done upsells and always been told what cabins are available and I chose.

If you booked directly from HAL call and ask.

that would be a big part of my decision.  The upsell offer is decent, not dirt cheap but very decent IMO.

I’d follow up fast with a phone call though as they may be gone (and they might not 😉 ).

1 minute ago, kazu said:

No ability to choose a room, really?  I’ve done upsells and always been told what cabins are available and I chose.

If you booked directly from HAL call and ask.

that would be a big part of my decision.  The upsell offer is decent, not dirt cheap but very decent IMO.

I’d follow up fast with a phone call though as they may be gone (and they might not 😉 ).

No, through TA - I assumed no choice but will call. I don't think there are any truly terrible NS locations. Considering what we paid for the VB aft verandah, the total pp would come in around half the current price for the suite.

52 minutes ago, operakatz said:

No, through TA - I assumed no choice but will call. I don't think there are any truly terrible NS locations. Considering what we paid for the VB aft verandah, the total pp would come in around half the current price for the suite.

Definitely call.  If it’s 50% of the original cost, that’s fair ball and a good offer IMO 😉 

My TA always gives me room choices and that is part of the decision.  Not a lot of bad NS’s unless you end up with an HC (and don’t need it 😉 )

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The bad NS’s are forward Spa cabins!!  When you call they will tell you what’s available so have your deck plan ready.

Good to know. I generally don't like far-forward locations as I tend to like to vape out on aft Lido deck so that's a hike LOL

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

Definitely call.  If it’s 50% of the original cost, that’s fair ball and a good offer IMO 😉 

My TA always gives me room choices and that is part of the decision.  Not a lot of bad NS’s unless you end up with an HC (and don’t need it 😉 )

TA office on east coast so I can't call til morning GAH. Of course, that will allow me to have thoughts of SB aft wraps dancing in my head (though the sensible part of my brain says that is highly unlikely LOL) A girl can dream...

20 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The bad NS’s are forward Spa cabins!!  When you call they will tell you what’s available so have your deck plan ready.

I'm looking over Oosterdam deckplans and not seeing any spa NS...the tiers she mentioned were SA, SB, SC for the possible upgrade. Am I missing something in my reading of the deckplans?

I personally think the price is high.  However if you got such a good deal originally it may be worth it.  Like others have said, your TA should be able to advise you what’s available by calling HAL.  I’d ask  your TA to do a conference call with you on the line.  

Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I personally think the price is high.  However if you got such a good deal originally it may be worth it.  Like others have said, your TA should be able to advise you what’s available by calling HAL.  I’d ask  your TA to do a conference call with you on the line.  

Good luck! 

Including tax/fees, our current cabin is costing us $134/night/pp...with that upgrade offer, bumps up to $182/night/pp

33 minutes ago, operakatz said:

I'm looking over Oosterdam deckplans and not seeing any spa NS...the tiers she mentioned were SA, SB, SC for the possible upgrade. Am I missing something in my reading of the deckplans?

Sorry, it was a generalized response!

15 minutes ago, operakatz said:

Including tax/fees, our current cabin is costing us $134/night/pp...with that upgrade offer, bumps up to $182/night/pp

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You get free laundry, get to snack in the Neptune Lounge, get to go to the "fast pass" line during check in and eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. In addition you have a coffee machine in your massive cabin and a humongous covered balcony! All for $182/night/person. 

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You get free laundry, get to snack in the Neptune Lounge, get to go to the "fast pass" line during check in and eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. In addition you have a coffee machine in your massive cabin and a humongous covered balcony! All for $182/night/person. 

And Club Orange and double mariner points!

Since you would be upgrading from a Verandah to a Neptune, $339 is a great price IMO.  Thats about normal for an upsell from a Signature suite to a Neptune!

I almost always get to pick my cabin when doing an upsell, but you do have to ASK.  Have a deck plan handy when you call as the rep will be busy with many offers (likely).  Speaking of which, when you get one of these offers you REALLY need to respond immediately, as they go quickly (at least the good ones do).  I have heard of people who got an offer, waited 15 minutes to call and missed out (of course, this depends on the supply).

As to Neptunes, I like either ones by the Neptune Lounge or on scenic cruises (think AK or the Panama Canal), I like an aft-wrap, especially those two on deck 5 with the HUGE balcony.  We did that on a Panama Canal cruise and absolutely loved the experience.

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Since you would be upgrading from a Verandah to a Neptune, $339 is a great price IMO.  Thats about normal for an upsell from a Signature suite to a Neptune!

I almost always get to pick my cabin when doing an upsell, but you do have to ASK.  Have a deck plan handy when you call as the rep will be busy with many offers (likely).  Speaking of which, when you get one of these offers you REALLY need to respond immediately, as they go quickly (at least the good ones do).  I have heard of people who got an offer, waited 15 minutes to call and missed out (of course, this depends on the supply).

As to Neptunes, I like either ones by the Neptune Lounge or on scenic cruises (think AK or the Panama Canal), I like an aft-wrap, especially those two on deck 5 with the HUGE balcony.  We did that on a Panama Canal cruise and absolutely loved the experience.

Timing is tricky because I'm on west coast time so the time when the desk she needs to call opens is 11am EST which is when I'm commuting to work. She sent me the offer just as her office was closing yesterday, so it may already be gone but we're going to try. What we decided to do was eliminate the NOs, prioritize most desirable and gave room number range of what I'd take so she's going to go by that.

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

I’m a little confused.  Your TA is on the east coast?

Yes. We used an online booking source and their reps are on east coast. For me, generally best of both worlds - the ability to do most myself online while still having a specific person for assistance/extra stuff.

1 hour ago, operakatz said:

Yes. We used an online booking source and their reps are on east coast. For me, generally best of both worlds - the ability to do most myself online while still having a specific person for assistance/extra stuff.

Can you direct the specific person to accept an upsell for you?  You could give them the maximum amount you are willing to spend and some general instructions as to the specific cabins you would likr (or to avoid).  One trick I use is to search the HAL website for open Neptunes for my sailing and make a list of the ones I would want (in order).  That way if an offer comes up, I know what to select - makes it easier for everyone.