Carnival Glory - LIVE - Aug 25-Sep 1 - NOLA - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Saint Greg

About 30 years ago that was a different cafe. My dad brought me here for the first time and parked at that meter spot. 

We walked across the street and took a Superdome tour. I was in elementary school and wouldn’t get to my first Saints game until middle school. First time to the Superdome for a kid that loved the Saints. 

Fast forward...We’re on the tour. We sat in the stands for part of it and the Saints were out on the field. They must have been getting ready for a preseason game. It was this time of year. They take us to the press box and suites. The last part of the tour is supposed to be the field and locker room. The players are there so I’m thinking I may get to meet them. Even if we didn’t get to meet them, seeing the locker room and getting on the field would be the highlight of my life at that point. 

We’re getting the tour of the suites and my dad looks at his watch and says something I can’t type here...then he says “The parking meter!” The next thing I know we’re racing through the Superdome trying to find our way out from one of the upper levels.

Getting a ticket of any kind is the worst thing to my dad. He drives 5 miles under the speed limit. But I would pay way more than the cost of a parking ticket to have that memory be a better one.

It certainly wouldn’t be the last time I’d be disappointed in that building...but I wouldn’t be back there with my Dad until I was in my 20’s and a season ticket holder.

If you have kids or grandchildren my advice is to feed the meter or pay the ticket. Or if you want to raise a solo traveler...don’t.

This time I’m doing everything I want. My only limit is time.

• Like 8

New Orleans was awarded an NFL franchise on November 1st 1966—All  Saints Day. The franchise was purchased for $8.5 million with money that was made in the oil business (Black Gold).

After nearly two decades of losing a local car dealership owner, Tom Benson, purchased the team for $64 million to keep it from moving to Jacksonville. The team is now valued at over 2 billion.

This is Tom Benson.

6-DFDC486-FDF4-4-A4-D-B15-D-9-B5489-D465

He would later buy the New Orleans Voodoo AFL team...and sell them a year before then AFL folded. He also purchased the Pelicans (then Hornets), saving them from a potential relocation. He bought the local fox station. He bought Dixie beer.

Tom passed away last year and the teams went to his wife, Gayle. The last couple years of his life he fought a big legal battle to keep his daughter (not Gayle’s daughter) and grandchildren from inheriting the teams. That part of his family is located in San Antonio and he didn’t feel they’d have the best interest of New Orleans in mind. Mrs. Benson is a true New Orleanian and has been a fabulous owner

• Like 1

This is Champion’s Square. It used to be a mall called the New Orleans Centre. The New Orleans Centre never re-opened after Katrina. 

The Saints owner at the time, Tom Benson, bought the New Orleans Centre and Dominion Tower (Now Benson Tower) in 2009. Most of the New Orleans Centre was tore down. 

On a game day this area is filled with food trucks and concessions stands. They have a stage setup for pregame entertainment. 

In on a couple weeks this will be a sea of black and gold.

4-DBDAF3-C-5383-4144-9-B86-37-AC2-F14-A3

2330477-E-3423-49-DC-ACA3-E977-F458-FA66

• Like 1

Steve Gleason blocked the punt that was covered for the Saints first touchdown in the Superdome after Katrina. He  is just a ridiculously good person. He has ALS now. If you are down here and see 37 Gleason shirts or Team Gleason or No White Flags. Its all about ALS. If you’re here on the 28th or September please stop by Champions Square for the annual Gleason Gras.

https://teamgleason.org/

CCF03-E6-D-98-F7-4-ACD-A4-E2-18-DCED51-C

080-CDC5-F-8006-4852-ADF1-9-C3-AE8-FED27

I decided to take the street car to Bourbon street which would take me just a few blocks from the hotel.

The streetcar costs $1.25 per ride and .25 per transfer or $3 per day. I’m going with a $3 pass. 

The first street car takes me to canal and the second takes me to Bourbon Street.

I have videos riding to canal then boarding the one to Bourbon Street.

13-EB21-B0-89-FE-4415-BB3-F-27-DD97-B164

1 minute ago, sid_9169 said:

Wait a minute... So, both the Suprdome and our new stadium in Atlanta are called "Mercedes Benz"?... Hmmmm

One is Mercedes Benz Stadium. The other is Mercedes-Benz Superdome. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a new sponsor when our contract is up.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1