Carnival Glory - LIVE - Aug 25-Sep 1 - NOLA - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Saint Greg

I wish I had known about this Frenchman Street when I cruised the Breakaway out of New Orleans earlier this year... (Sadly, Greg, you were absent during the review... You even missed the part where I urinated on a topless woman's foot in Cozumel...) Looking forward to another evening of food and beverage pictures...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

John McDonough bust in front of Gallier Hall.

He was a real estate tycoon with some questionable business practices. He would buy  a property and turn it into a brothel to drive down home values.

After he bought the surrounding homes at a discount, he would shut down the brothel, and sell all of the properties for a substantial profit.

He was a slave owner. But he educated his slaves, paid them one day per week, and allowed them to buy their freedom. I guess that’s good enough to allow his statue to stay.

He was big on education in this area. There are a slew of schools around here named McDonough with a number after it.

1-E6-D72-E6-BDE9-4-FF1-B1-B0-8-A22-D4162

The Henry Clay Statue in the middle

of Lafayette Square 

I don’t know the significance of the William Henry Clay statue in the middle. I know it was originally smack dab in the middle of canal street and there was a statue of Benjamin Franklin here. They relocated the Clay statue here and the Ben Franklin statue is now at Benjamin Franklin High School.

EC29-E99-E-0-B34-43-CB-ACF6-F746-A777-E2

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I wish I had known about this Frenchman Street when I cruised the Breakaway out of New Orleans earlier this year... (Sadly, Greg, you were absent during the review... You even missed the part where I urinated on a topless woman's foot in Cozumel...) Looking forward to another evening of food and beverage pictures...

That just means you have to come back.

• Like 2

After Katrina there were signs a few blocks back for the future home of Trump International Hotel & Tower. That was going to be the new tallest building in the state at 850 feet. That project was canceled in 2011 and as you can imagine, a lot of people around here held a grudge in 2016.

Le Pavillon. A historic hotel. They say it’s haunted. I believe the bar area has been used in several movies. They have a tradition of a peanut butter and Jelly and hot chocolate buffet at night that was started by a guest a long time ago. 

9751-B97-B-330-F-48-F7-B777-C79-EB37-B6-

Johnny Sanchez

Johnny Sánchez. If you watch Master Chef, this is Aarón Sanchez’s restaurant. 

John Besh was the co-owner but he was a casualty of the “me too movement” and is no longer associated with this or any of his other restaurants.

I was disappointed with that situation because when most celebrity chefs open restaurants all over the country, he focused his in New Orleans. I liked that. Off the top of my head I think he had a steakhouse in Harrah’s. He had Borgne in Hyatt Regency. Luke in the Hilton on St. Charles. Willa Jean on Girod Street....and Johnny Sanchez on Poydras.

A1-A45015-BB0-D-45-AD-8954-5486-A625-D18

This is Walk Ons sports bar. You see those three mirrors to the right? Those are the urinals in the men’s room. One of those you can see out but not in deals.

Walk Ons was started by a couple of former LSU basketball players that were...walk ons. It’s a sports bar but with better food than most sports bars. 

A few years back Drew Brees invested heavily in Walk Ons and said they were going nationwide. So keep an eye out for one near you.

E0-CBA109-1189-4-CAF-B74-E-A273-B101-D35

EE3-EB037-AF5-B-43-E7-B0-B1-0-AA24-DC26-