Cruise Travel Insurance

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

However, I looked at the terms for the first card on the American Express page (Platinum), and the this is part of item 2 in terms and conditions (following the coverage listing):

Termination

Cover will be terminated if either of the following happen:

• Your American Express Platinum Card is cancelled; or

In that, it's an open and shut case that there is no coverage if the card is cancelled.

I rest my case m’lud...

Thats exactly what AMEX vase vase their position on 

The traveller says it wasn’t spelt out for him when he changed cards - but was it AMEXs responsibility to try to consider every possible repercussion of the cancelation and taking out the new card? 

I also agree that AMEX do not cover supplementary card holders - so that’s why I never rely on it as I need my wife covered too

Sadly I am consigned to the scrap heap of preexisting conditions and subsequent high policy fees - where credit card providers won’t cover me now that Allianz is underwriting a lot of the policies 

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

The article doesn't state which card and insurance policy the couple have, so it's not possible to check.

However, I looked at the terms for the first card on the American Express page (Platinum), and the this is part of item 2 in terms and conditions (following the coverage listing):

Termination

Cover will be terminated if either of the following happen:

• Your American Express Platinum Card is cancelled; or

In that, it's an open and shut case that there is no coverage if the card is cancelled.

Oops. Look's like they are stu....

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

The traveller says it wasn’t spelt out for him when he changed cards - but was it AMEXs responsibility to try to consider every possible repercussion of the cancelation and taking out the new card? 

I also agree that AMEX do not cover supplementary card holders - so that’s why I never rely on it as I need my wife covered too

I agree. It was not up to the AMEX representative to spell out the disadvantages of switching to a new card. It is most likely that the AMEX rep didn't know that the customer was relying on the free travel insurance.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:21 AM, Aus Traveller said:

We have claimed successfully under the 'free' credit card insurance and so has our son. His was for around $7,000 (hospitalization in Germany).

The ANZ bank requires you to spend at least $250 on the card before you are eligible. I did hear of someone being knocked back on their claim because their's was through NAB that required the total amount of the trip to be paid on the card. They had not paid the total amount. We were knocked back last year when we tried to claim the deposit on a land trip. We were knocked back because at the time we had not booked and paid for our return airfare to Australia. The land tour was more than a year ahead so the airfare could not be booked and having a return ticket was one of the conditions. A ticket for a cruise that returned to Australia would qualify as a return ticket.

I can also confirm that the free credit card travel insurance works if you adhere to their rules regarding eligibility. I had a horrible year a few years ago during which I had to cancel both trips I had booked and paid for that year, due to illness - both very expensive trips but within the maximum allowable, also through ANZ.

Before I go I either fill out their on-line form to get confirmation that I am insured, or if I have a specific query (such as, 'does this policy cover evacuation at sea from ship by helicopter' etc) I email them. They are very helpful. I always print out and take the emails or whatever with me as proof.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, SuitesRbest said:

Hi,

Can anyone push me onto a good insurance plan for a 14 day cruise leaving Singapore>Sydney Australia.

No Pre-exsisting medical, just good value covering any problem that may pop up.

Thanks

Insure and Go.  I haven't made a claim with them and they do cover me for my existing medical condition.

12 hours ago, valantine80 said:

You need to be aware of the "no alcohol" condition on their policy

Does the PDF of any travel insurance stipulate "no alcohol"? This issue was discussed a few months ago after a man was injured falling down stairs on a river boat and then denied insurance coverage because he was intoxicated. It was then stated that insurance coverage could be refused if an injury occurred because of intoxication.

Here are the details from the ANZ Platinum Visa insurance PDF.

The exclusions below set out what is not covered. To the extent permitted by law we do not cover you for any loss, damage or expense caused by, arising directly or indirectly from or in any way related to:

4. your intoxication or the effect of or your chronic use of alcohol or drugs 

For an insurance company to refuse claims because the person had had a few drinks, they would have to do a blood alcohol test on every claimant. However, most claims are not made until some time after the event. It is only very serious claims that would be made at the time. If a travel insurance company required its policyholders to not consume any alcohol, they would not be able to sell many policies.

Edited by Aus Traveller

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Does the PDF of any travel insurance stipulate "no alcohol"? This issue was discussed a few months ago after a man was injured falling down stairs on a river boat and then denied insurance coverage because he was intoxicated. It was then stated that insurance coverage could be refused if an injury occurred because of intoxication.

Here are the details from the ANZ Platinum Visa insurance PDF.

The exclusions below set out what is not covered. To the extent permitted by law we do not cover you for any loss, damage or expense caused by, arising directly or indirectly from or in any way related to:

4. your intoxication or the effect of or your chronic use of alcohol or drugs 

For an insurance company to refuse claims because the person had had a few drinks, they would have to do a blood alcohol test on every claimant. However, most claims are not made until some time after the event. It is only very serious claims that would be made at the time. If a travel insurance company required its policyholders to not consume any alcohol, they would not be able to sell many policies.

I looked at Insure and Go's PDS and this is what I found about alcohol in it if I have read it correctly.  It does not stipulate you cannot consume alcohol, but rather if alcohol is a direct cause to your claim, you will not be covered.

General Conditions - You must agree to have a blood alcohol and/or breath analysis where local laws permit, where it is necessary for us to assess your claim

What you are not covered for - 

Any claim: a) due to driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;

Any claim arising directly from you, your partner, relative or your travelling companion consuming alcohol.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I looked at Insure and Go's PDS and this is what I found about alcohol in it if I have read it correctly.  It does not stipulate you cannot consume alcohol, but rather if alcohol is a direct cause to your claim, you will not be covered.

General Conditions - You must agree to have a blood alcohol and/or breath analysis where local laws permit, where it is necessary for us to assess your claim

What you are not covered for - 

Any claim: a) due to driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;

Any claim arising directly from you, your partner, relative or your travelling companion consuming alcohol.

Leigh

It is reasonable that injuries resulting directly from the consumption of alcohol would not be covered by insurance. Of course, the insurance company would have to have a reason to make that judgement. The consumption of a few drinks would not be sufficient reason. The medical centre on the ship is not going to test every patient for their blood alcohol level.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, valantine80 said:

You need to be aware of the "no alcohol" condition on their policy

Source to support this statement?

Most are aware of the publicised case a little while back, but I don't recall any details being released, other than someone in his family stating something about the guy having a couple of beers.

The Insure and Go Cruise Insurance PDS states page 16/17  What you are not covered for:

8  Any claim arising directly from you, your partner, relative or travelling companion consuming alcohol.

Post #27 in this tread confirms that Insure and Go said "No alcohol or you're not covered"

It would be up to the insurance company how far they wanted to investigate whether you had consumed alcohol. Could maybe check your account which could be over the top but not beyond the realms of possibilities.

21 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

The Insure and Go Cruise Insurance PDS states page 16/17  What you are not covered for:

8  Any claim arising directly from you, your partner, relative or travelling companion consuming alcohol.

Post #27 in this tread confirms that Insure and Go said "No alcohol or you're not covered"

It would be up to the insurance company how far they wanted to investigate whether you had consumed alcohol. Could maybe check your account which could be over the top but not beyond the realms of possibilities.

Insurers are required to cover you according to their coverage i.e. what's in the PDS. Not what some third hand posted on a forum.

Just because you drank alcohol does not mean it directly caused the accident. They can't disallow a claim for spurious reasons; the direct relationship has to be apparent. They take their accountability seriously and if there was improper application it can be disputed by the ombudsman which just costs more time and money and doesn't achieve anything for the company (and if they have a track record of it would lead to more issues).

In short, they're not going to be denying a valid claim just because there was unrelated alcohol consumption (unless that was a blanket exclusion in the PDS, which I've never seen, nor has anyone ever given any example of such existing).

• Like 1

I phoned Insure and Go a few minutes ago and asked about alcohol consumption in regards to claiming. After a discussion I was told that a claim would only be not covered if it directly related to you consuming alcohol. For example you overindulged and fell over injuring yourself. If you had a drink or two at dinner and tripped or fell over later in the evening, it could not be claimed it was directly related to you consuming alcohol. I think the PDS covers it quite well. 

Leigh

The Big M - Yes, it is obvious that the only situation under which alcohol consumption would cause a claim to be rejected would be if it caused the injury of damage. It would not be logical for there to be a blanket ban on alcohol consumption.

To Possum52 - Thanks for clarifying that with Insure and Go.