Academia Gallery

Cruiseaholic07

I'm not sure what you're referring to, as far as I know there is only one way to purchase a ticket in advance.

The official web site for ticket purchase is here:  https://webshop.b-ticket.com/webshop/webticket/eventlist

I would absolutely get tickets in advance, on a port day when you're going to be spending 90 minutes to two hours just getting there from the port and back, you don't have time to waste waiting on lines.

"skip the line" and reserved ticket is the same thing.  Order online directly from the Academia.  

If you just want to see the David, if you want to do it free, just go to the Piazza in front of the Palazzo della Signoria. A to-scale copy of David is there, and it is where the original was for centuries.   

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

"skip the line" and reserved ticket is the same thing.  Order online directly from the Academia.  

If you just want to see the David, if you want to do it free, just go to the Piazza in front of the Palazzo della Signoria. A to-scale copy of David is there, and it is where the original was for centuries.   

....but be warned that it in no way compares to the original. Similarly, the bronze equestrian sculpture of Marcus Aurelius in the Capitoline Museum so far outshines the copy on the Campidoglio that I can't even think of a scale for comparison.

However, if the OP is just going in for a selfie.... 

• Like 2

Thank you, I think i was confused about the reserved part. I do want to see the original. I hate having such little time in Florence, but it’s better than none at all. My wife wanted to do Ufitizi, so we are doing a tour tour of that, I guess my main concern is time. how isn’t Florence in late November early December for crowds?  As of now we are doing Tuscany bus which gives us from 1115ish to like 445pm, just not enough time. Am I better off just doing the one gallery and the replica? I greatly appreciate all of your help

1 hour ago, jcu1210 said:

Thank you, I think i was confused about the reserved part. I do want to see the original. I hate having such little time in Florence, but it’s better than none at all. My wife wanted to do Ufitizi, so we are doing a tour tour of that, I guess my main concern is time. how isn’t Florence in late November early December for crowds?  As of now we are doing Tuscany bus which gives us from 1115ish to like 445pm, just not enough time. Am I better off just doing the one gallery and the replica? I greatly appreciate all of your help

I think your itinerary is doable.

We also used Tuscany Bus last month from Livorno to Florence and the arrival/departure time is quite similar to yours.  The bus arrived at the parking lot next to the Florence train station.  We pre-booked tickets for the Academia at 12N and at the Uffizi for 2PM.  We walked fast, spent about 1 hour at each museums.  We had time for a walkby the Duomo (not inside) and Ponte Vecchio.

1 hour ago, jcu1210 said:

Ah, you are lucky to be going in the off-off-season!

I was in Florence during the week of Thanksgiving two years ago and the crowds were VERY minimal. We took the precaution of purchasing the Firenze pass (which does give you "walk in" privileges at most sites; even with pre-reserving tickets you may have to wait in line in high season).  However, I would not worry about it in November at all.  You can do it. 

Have you looked at the train schedule from Livorno to see if that would net you more overall time in Florence? 

Looking at the Trenitalia schedule, there is a train that departs Florence at 5:00 pm exactly and arrives in Livorno at 6:11 pm. However this only gives you about 15 more minutes than the bus.

There's another train at 5:28 pm arriving Livorno at 6:46.  That could be your backup if you decide to skip the bus and miss the first train. But it would be the last available option. 

Taking a taxi from the station is what I'd recommend. Both times I've come back via train there have been taxis at the station but there are not an unlimited number of them. I'd try to be fast off the train and to the station entrance. If no taxis, ask someone to call one for you (probably would have the best luck trying at the small store in the station that sells tickets and a few sundries).

It is not a long trip, maybe 10-15 minutes, so even if you had to wait a few minutes for a taxi you should still be on time. However, there is SOME risk... Generally it's always best to aim for the next-to-last train that could conceivably get you back in time. That way there is still a back-up.

Any way you look at it, a cruise day is generally a short day if you're headed to Florence. :classic_wacko: But being there in low season will be to your benefit. Just pray to the weather gods that it's not bucketing rain...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Taking a taxi from the station is what I'd recommend. Both times I've come back via train there have been taxis at the station but there are not an unlimited number of them. I'd try to be fast off the train and to the station entrance. If no taxis, ask someone to call one for you (probably would have the best luck trying at the small store in the station that sells tickets and a few sundries).

It is not a long trip, maybe 10-15 minutes, so even if you had to wait a few minutes for a taxi you should still be on time. However, there is SOME risk... Generally it's always best to aim for the next-to-last train that could conceivably get you back in time. That way there is still a back-up.

Any way you look at it, a cruise day is generally a short day if you're headed to Florence. :classic_wacko: But being there in low season will be to your benefit. Just pray to the weather gods that it's not bucketing rain...

But it is a flat fee of 25 Euros from the train station to the port in Livorno. So there will probably be others at that train station, group up and split the cost of the taxi.

Also if you pre book your return train from florence, I would recommend selecting the earlier time. The ticket will be good for 4 hours from the time of the train you selected. So if you are done early and want to return early you can but can always catch that later train without any hassles.

I was in Florence about 20 years ago. I was tired of Renaissance art and wanted to say I saw David. There were no lines when I went. I went in, found David, took a picture and then left.

I got home, got the film developed (yep, back in the old days) and my picture was blurry! Oh well. I saw David. :)

Edited by Coral