Vancouver Train station to Canada Place, sort of

tutuwahineLV

Hello all, 

For those who've taken Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver,  how easy is it to get from the train station to downtown hotels??  We are planning for next year, and want to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver, but will be arriving a couple of days early, so won't be looking to go directly to the cruise terminal.   I'm assuming that there are taxis available when the train arrives, but would like some info from someone who's tackled this before. 

Thank you in advance for your expertise, and for sharing it.

Tutu

Not too much to share.  Taxis will be available outside the train station. It's a short cab ride to all downtown hotels as well as Canada Place (which is also downtown). The Vancouver downtown core is relatively compact, so cab fares should be in the under $20 CAD range, depending on location of hotel and traffic. Probably closer to $15. We are supposed to be getting Uber, so it might be even cheaper by next year. 

Edited by ell52
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

I also see that the 'sky train' Expo line has stations close to the train station and Canada Place.  Is it easy to use that with luggage?? 

Main Street station (Expo Line) is a short walk, but the Expo Line trains are not luggage friendly, especially during busy times. Probably best to go with a taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

I also see that the 'sky train' Expo line has stations close to the train station and Canada Place.  Is it easy to use that with luggage?? 

very easy.  All the stations are fully accessible with elevators.  As the trains arrive at 11:30a and 11:30p; you're outside of rush hour, so the trains wont be particularly crowded.  Tickets can be purchased with debit/credit card or cash, or if your credit card has tap, you can just use that directly.

10 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

It's certainly doable. The Main Street station is very close to Pacific Central (the Amtrak station),  but how easy the transfer, really depends on how much luggage you have, etc.  Something to consider is where the closest station to your destination hotel is and how far you'd have to walk from station to hotel. 

• Thanks 1

We took a taxi last year from the train station to our hotel as well as a taxi from the hotel  back to the station post cruise.  Taxis right outside station— cost was about $16 including a tip.  Very easy.  We decided not to use public transportation mainly because once we got to Vancouver, I wanted to be in Vancouver and not navigate the path.

• Like 1

We did this exact thing about 2 years ago.  Took a taxi and paid around $15.  Be advised that the taxi line can be long at times (we waited about 20-30 minutes) when the trains arrive.

As to the "sky" trains/subways - the line that services the train station does not have room for luggage nor does it allow it (per the website), so we avoided it even though it would have been quicker and cheaper.

• Thanks 1

To update my above post - the Skytrain line from the train stattion to downtown is the Expo Line.  Its cars are narrower than the line that runs to the airport and thus does not really have room for luggage.  According to some research I just did, if your bag cannot fit under your seat you MAY be asked to exit the line (you cannot put the luggage on a seat or block the aisle).  If you refuse, you are subject to a $150 fine.

This is why I just took a taxi.  

• Thanks 1

^Nailed it Dave - though the fine does bump up every so often with inflation, last time I checked it stood at CAD$186. Minimal risk with luggage on Expo line at the time Amtrak rolls in, driverless trains mean only a random SkyTrain employee/transit cop presence to enforce the rules is possible, but with the minimal extra cost for a cab if you have 2+ people in it and the convenience of door-to-door service rather than schlepping from the very few other stations, I'd only ever recommend SkyTrain from Amtrak with a carry-on size bag or backpack myself, and even then only for solos or couples at most.

SkyTrain is excellent for commuters and can be great for sightseeing, but ONLY the Canada Line is designed for people with luggage at the start/end of your trip.

• Thanks 1

So I am getting confused, but that's really not anyone's fault but my own.  We arrive after midnight in Vancouver so we are staying at a hotel by the airport.  Cruise next day.  Looking at the mass transit options, I thought we could take  Canada Line from LANSDOWNE CENTRE, 5300 NO 3 RD, RICHMOND to Waterfront Station, with luggage.  Should I drop this idea & take a cab? 

2 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

So I am getting confused, but that's really not anyone's fault but my own.  We arrive after midnight in Vancouver so we are staying at a hotel by the airport.  Cruise next day.  Looking at the mass transit options, I thought we could take  Canada Line from LANSDOWNE CENTRE, 5300 NO 3 RD, RICHMOND to Waterfront Station, with luggage.  Should I drop this idea & take a cab? 

No, you are fine.  The OP was asking about the Expo Line that runs close to the train station. Those trains are not built to handle travellers with luggage.

You will be travelling on Canada Line with trains that are purpose-built to handle passengers with luggage.  

• Like 2

@QueSeraSera  Just be aware that if you are travelling during a weekday morning rush hour, there will be a lot of regular commuters on the train as well. So if you can avoid the early morning rush and leave closer to late-morning or mid-day you'll be more comfortable. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

...we are staying at a hotel by the airport.  Cruise next day.  Looking at the mass transit options, I thought we could take  Canada Line from LANSDOWNE CENTRE, 5300 NO 3 RD, RICHMOND to Waterfront Station, with luggage.  Should I drop this idea & take a cab? 

If you're staying in the 4 Points or La Quinta, Lansdowne Station makes sense. Any hotel further south, go to Brighouse instead (not just closer, but as it's the end of the line it is your least-busy option heading into town) or if it's one of the hotels further north odds are that Aberdeen or Bridgeport stations will be closer. As Ell says, avoid rush hour - optimal time to arrive at the pier is close to 10:30am so you can drop luggage right away, which means boarding the train pretty much bang on 10am works well.

Personally I'd drop the bags then go sightseeing until 2pm, eating lunch on land, to maximize your Vancouver time but if you are the kind of folks who must be on board ASAP, heading straight to check-in after bag drop at 10:30am should mean you are among the earliest batch of pax and will definitely miss the really long queues (though you'll still sit around for probably 30-60 mins before you get to start going through Security [and US preclearance if you're heading to Alaska or down the coast]).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I already feel this visit will be too brief.

It probably will be.  I was there in May and spent a full day there after my cruise (not much of a choice, flights were either too early or red-eye), I did a tour of places going up the Whistler highway but I really wish I could have gotten out to Stanley Park and/or walked along the sea wall, or gone out to Granville Island.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, DaveOKC said:

To update my above post - the Skytrain line from the train stattion to downtown is the Expo Line.  Its cars are narrower than the line that runs to the airport and thus does not really have room for luggage.  According to some research I just did, if your bag cannot fit under your seat you MAY be asked to exit the line (you cannot put the luggage on a seat or block the aisle).  If you refuse, you are subject to a $150 fine.

This is why I just took a taxi.  

I've taken cruise luggage on Expo line many times, and it's never been an issue.  I wouldn't want to try it at 8a or 5p, but the timing for the mid-day trains from the US is such you're not going to run into issues.

As for 'not allowed', I've witnessed many thousands of cruise passengers get on at Waterfront, and have zero issues. (I used to use that line daily, and directed likely hundreds of people to the station).  Even during rush hour (when I wouldn't recommend it), unless you try and tie up seats with luggage or block exits, it's not a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

I've taken cruise luggage on Expo line many times, and it's never been an issue.  I wouldn't want to try it at 8a or 5p, but the timing for the mid-day trains from the US is such you're not going to run into issues.

As for 'not allowed', I've witnessed many thousands of cruise passengers get on at Waterfront, and have zero issues. (I used to use that line daily, and directed likely hundreds of people to the station).  Even during rush hour (when I wouldn't recommend it), unless you try and tie up seats with luggage or block exits, it's not a problem.

...and thousands of people speed in vehicles or park too long in a spot without getting a ticket - but doesn't mean that the rules change, that they are never enforced, or that the next time you try it you won't roll snake-eyes. I've seen many people refused boarding on buses due to having big bags, and there are also staff at Main Street Station (and probably all the others with bike lockers) specifically to ensure that nobody tries to bring a bike on SkyTrain in rush hour, so staff do enforce the rules - they're just generally few and far between on SkyTrain is all.

I know you're a frequent transit user Scott so you're speaking from plenty of observational data, but personally I'll never recommend people break the rules, especially when there's so little to gain compared to a cab on that short ride.

• Like 1

We really appreciate the advice from all of you, as @tutuwahineLV also expressed.  Wife and I have enjoyed touring Ontario and Quebec on land trips, but I feel British Columbia will be a fantastic province, and worth a return trip with more time.

I am quite certain DW and I are going to overpack for this first cruise, currently it looks like 2 carry ons, a new 26" check in suitcase, and a garment bag full of winter coats, etc, to shield us from the cold, while we enjoy visiting.  Our hotel is Hilton Vancouver Airport.   I don't mean to push my luck here @martincath but given this hotel information, which station should we go for?

19 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I am quite certain DW and I are going to overpack for this first cruise, currently it looks like 2 carry ons, a new 26" check in suitcase, and a garment bag full of winter coats, etc, to shield us from the cold, while we enjoy visiting.  Our hotel is Hilton Vancouver Airport.   I don't mean to push my luck here @martincath but given this hotel information, which station should we go for?

Very little distance saving compared to Lansdowne, and the hotel airport shuttle should be able to drop you at SkyTrain so the walk itself isn't very relevant, but Richmond-Brighouse would be my choice so that you get 'first dibs' on seating as it's the start of the line going your way. 1 big case, 2 carryons, and a garment bag should fit under seats/around leg area - we sometimes travel with a 28" case each and a carryon each and manage to stay within our own seating area - but you really would be best advised to look into Layering your clothes rather than bringing thick coats.

It's not just more efficient in terms of packing (middle 'warmth' layers, since they are not against your skin, can be reworn many times each so you basically just need a daily base layer, a couple of middles like a thin fleece or sweater, and your one wind/waterproof shell) but it's also superior in flexibility - SE Alaska is extremely changeable, so during the day you can add and remove layers to reflect the temperature, whereas a thick, warm coat can only be worn comfortably when it's cold (and is a real hassle to put away if you take it off while out & about, whereas each layer being thin means they easily get stashed in your day pack).

If you're really cauld tatties (folks who feel the cold easily) then maybe a puffer coat, which are light and compressible, could be useful - and thin gloves, scarf, and toque of fleecy fabric (all of which roll up really small) can be extremely handy on glacier viewing days especially, enabling you to stay out on deck for longer to maximize your photo ops. I see you're cruising early September, so while statistically it's going to be colder and wetter than July/August odds are good that you'll have at least a few relatively balmy days and you will definitely find the temps vary a lot mornings/evenings vs afternoons, so layering really is a big help in being comfortable whether it's cold or hot, wet or dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, martincath said:

...and thousands of people speed in vehicles or park too long in a spot without getting a ticket - but doesn't mean that the rules change, that they are never enforced, or that the next time you try it you won't roll snake-eyes. I've seen many people refused boarding on buses due to having big bags, and there are also staff at Main Street Station (and probably all the others with bike lockers) specifically to ensure that nobody tries to bring a bike on SkyTrain in rush hour, so staff do enforce the rules - they're just generally few and far between on SkyTrain is all.

I know you're a frequent transit user Scott so you're speaking from plenty of observational data, but personally I'll never recommend people break the rules, especially when there's so little to gain compared to a cab on that short ride.

I can find no such prohibition on luggage on the official Translink website.  It does mention to not block seats or exits, but that's it.  Hence, the comparison doesn't really apply.  Translink even mention that the next Expo/Millennium line trains will have more room for luggage.

Certainly there's a ban on bicycles during rush hour, but that's all I can find.

21 minutes ago, scottbee said:

I can find no such prohibition on luggage on the official Translink website.  It does mention to not block seats or exits, but that's it.  Hence, the comparison doesn't really apply.  Translink even mention that the next Expo/Millennium line trains will have more room for luggage.

Certainly there's a ban on bicycles during rush hour, but that's all I can find.

Then you're not looking in the right place Scott. Per the most recent iteration of the document the most relevant section is in the Refusal of Transportation section, specifically 4. (a) (iv), which allows for any Translink employee to refuse to transport any person with "...anything (including baggage) that, in the sole opinion of a Transit Employee, might cause inconvenience to others, soil or damage transit property, or represent a safety hazard;"

Given that the rule specifically states that it's completely up to the employee, plus that it's merely their opinion on the matter with no requirement to actually prove there's a safety risk that allows them to refuse - indeed that even a potential inconvenience is sufficient - then this is plenty to give them the authority which I've witnessed used on many occasions. Then there are the other requirements which overlap into this topic, e.g. to obey posted signs anywhere on Translink property - the 'no bikes in rush hour thing' for example which you confirm you're aware of is doubled-down on with the signage that gets placed at the station each morning to remind folks.

Since the only places you can put luggage that's too large to go on your lap (on current Expo trains) is in the designated wheelchair or bike spaces (which signs specify are for those purposes only, so breaking the 'obey signage' rule even if it did not cause an inconvenience to folks who want to put their bikes or wheelchairs there), on a seat or blocking the exit which you already acknowledge isn't allowed, or in the aisle which is also forbidden as it's a safety hazard (due to blocking access to the exits - this has been specifically verbalized by every driver I've seen refuse to let folks board buses with big bags).

Plain common sense also makes it patently obvious that a bag in the aisle is not just an inconvenience but also a safety risk (a tripping hazard for all, but especially folks with restricted vision or mobility) even if it's a quieter time of day so your bag is not actually stealing space from a passenger. Sounds like you've used the trains a lot over the years - you seriously haven't ever been inconvenienced by some inconsiderate person leaving a bag in the way when you're trying to move to or from a seat? I certainly have - and not just bags, I've seen widescreen TVs laid across multiple seats, shopping trolleys completely blocking the aisle, and more a**holes putting their backpack or even purse onto the seat next to them when there are folks standing without a seat than I can count.

If new Expo trains do add luggage space, great, they'll be just like the Canada Line is now - no change to the rules, but space provided which enables bags to go somewhere that isn't in breach of them. But unless they replace all the old trains I'll still be telling folks to take a cab from Amtrak, as there's no guarantee which type of train they might get.

And even if there were no rule against it, "Don't put Stuff where People are meant to go" is a pretty fundamental concept of transit etiquette that applies on urban commuter transit in just about every country I've ever visited.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Then you're not looking in the right place Scott. Per the most recent iteration of the document the most relevant section is in the Refusal of Transportation section, specifically 4. (a) (iv), which allows for any Translink employee to refuse to transport any person with "...anything (including baggage) that, in the sole opinion of a Transit Employee, might cause inconvenience to others, soil or damage transit property, or represent a safety hazard;"

Given that the rule specifically states that it's completely up to the employee, plus that it's merely their opinion on the matter with no requirement to actually prove there's a safety risk that allows them to refuse - indeed that even a potential inconvenience is sufficient - then this is plenty to give them the authority which I've witnessed used on many occasions. Then there are the other requirements which overlap into this topic, e.g. to obey posted signs anywhere on Translink property - the 'no bikes in rush hour thing' for example which you confirm you're aware of is doubled-down on with the signage that gets placed at the station each morning to remind folks.

Yes, and the rule applies to everything, including the line from the airport.  It's a blanket statement that allows them - If you're being a pain in ass by moving your whole house - to ask you to leave. 

There isn't a single transit employee that will give you a hard time about traveling with luggage on any of the Skytrain lines (or buses).  While I wouldn't recommend it during rush hour, outside of 7-9a and 4-6p you'll be just fine.

11 minutes ago, scottbee said:

Yes, and the rule applies to everything, including the line from the airport.  It's a blanket statement that allows them - If you're being a pain in ass by moving your whole house - to ask you to leave. 

There isn't a single transit employee that will give you a hard time about traveling with luggage on any of the Skytrain lines (or buses).  While I wouldn't recommend it during rush hour, outside of 7-9a and 4-6p you'll be just fine.

I have never denied that the rules apply on the Canada Line - in fact if you read my last post more carefully you'll see I referenced precisely that fact when responding to your mention of new Expo line trains with luggage space.

As to your incorrect claim that no enforcement ever occurs, almost all of the occasions I've witnessed people being denied boarding were outside Yaletown-Roundhouse station c. 1pm, which is when I ride the bus up to St Pauls for my Diabetes clinic appointments. Most of those folks still had the airline tags on their one large suitcase or backpack, so the logical deduction is they'd just ridden the Canada Line in from YVR and wanted to head home or to temp accommodation further up into the West End - none of those folks were moving house!

If you think any organization the size of Translink does not have a fair number of jobsworths and general low grade 'I have a tiny bit of power and it has gone to my head' types then I have a bridge to sell you 😉  Given that the wording of the rule allows them to bump you for the mere perception of perhaps causing inconvenience I have no doubt that it does get applied unfairly as well as legitimately, but it does get applied.

Since buses have drivers while SkyTrain does not, I absolutely agree that the risk of enforcement is very low on the short Main-Waterfront hop; I'll even agree that at noonish someone with a big bag is probably not going to annoy other pax much at all so even if there was a Translink minion around they would quite possibly let it slide. But unless you're willing to cough up the costs incurred by anyone taking your advice who then does meet a Translink person willing to enforce the rules, you might want to rein in the hyperbole some - I'm sure there are many things that happen in the world you are perfectly willing to believe in though you've never experienced them personally, so why go whole-hog on the 'this never happens' stance when it definitely does?