Pride of America Review, Aug 31-Sept 7, 2019

alliecat44

On 9/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, alliecat44 said:

One tip I forgot to mention above: I had found the Kona trolley schedule online and printed it out. The trolley makes two stops at the pier--think of its route like a two-hour figure-eight pattern. We didn't see the beaches because with the walk to/from breakfast, timing didn't work out to see the pretty half of the trolley tour. The trolley costs $2 a ride, however far you want to go. 🙂 

Ok I have looked into the brewery a bit more and have a question.  Our tour will be done at 1:00.  So I would say we maybe have from 1-4 or 4:30 before going back right?  I think taking the trolley to the brewery is out but maybe we could Uber?  It's too far to walk I think--1 mile/20 minutes.  I really want hubby to get to see it--he can get Kona Brewery beers here at home!

5 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Ok I have looked into the brewery a bit more and have a question.  Our tour will be done at 1:00.  So I would say we maybe have from 1-4 or 4:30 before going back right?  I think taking the trolley to the brewery is out but maybe we could Uber?  It's too far to walk I think--1 mile/20 minutes.  I really want hubby to get to see it--he can get Kona Brewery beers here at home!

Good job on convincing the hubby—he will love it, I promise! 

It is not far far from the pier but the walk would be very steep—I would just take an Uber. Two hours there will be plenty of time. 🙂 

9 hours ago, Firepath said:

It sounds like Cadillac Diner was a winner. Do they start serving breakfast at 7am? We were wondering where we could get something to eat besides the buffet early enough to get to our 8am tours on time. Also, did you notice if the buffet had theme nights? There has been talk around here that it's been discontinued on some of the NCL ships. 

Cadillac is open 24 hours I think...?! Can’t remember. Definitely open before 7am. There was enough on the menu to make everyone happy for breakfast but it is limited. 

No idea about buffet theme nights. We were only there at breakfast or mid-afternoon. I think I remember something about Asian night and Latin night. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the review. We are going next summer and already thought about the rental car as a possibility but now it is a definite. 

I am usually not a planner but feel since this is a trip that will take a lot of effort and money to get there for a family of 6, it is taking a little more research and planning. 

We are thinking of flying into a different island for some exploring on our own then taking a short island hop flight (approx. $75 / person) to Honolulu for Pearl Harbor/Diamondhead before setting sail. The flights have been trending cheaper doing a multi-city itinerary than round trip Honolulu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. We leave later this month and can't wait as we're first time cruisers!

We are staying at the Modern too before and after the POA. It's so beautiful! Did you like the scent they pump into the lobby?

Being Australians we're not used to having to tip people and wondered if we have already pre-paid gratuities for the cruise, when is it correct to tip (and whom)?? We obviously don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review!  I"m going on this cruise in January 2020 and can't wait.  I've done many cruises on RCL and Princess and this will be my second on NCL.  My first cruise ever was on the Epic and I know this ship is nothing like that one.  But, as you said, I'm going for Hawaii, not the ship.

I had heard the food on the ship is not very good. I'll probably be in the buffet a lot; good to know about Cadillac Diner serving breakfast.  I didn't know that.

Thanks again for your review!

Thanks for the report! I am booked on the 7/10/21 cruise as part of my 50th in the 50th (will have a couple of days before in Honolulu and 3-4 days after at Disney’s Aulani). Being solo and from NYC (read: I do NOT drive), I’ll be doing a mix of ship and private excursions and am fine with that.

My wife and I booked this cruise out a few years out.  We snagged a few of the perks.  I am wondering if the Hawaiian Beverage Package includes alcoholic drinks?  Ive read the description a few times and it does not specifically say alcoholic drinks are included.  I heard there was a change to the package a year or so ago.  Can anyone confirm if alcoholic drinks are included or not?

• 1 year later...

Booked this cruise last week and just read your review.

Thank you for posting an excellent review with lots of great information.   I think I am going to also surprise my husband and young adult children and book Kauai Sporting Clays.  However, as my husband is not too thrilled with this vacation, I might have to tell him in advance as an incentive to get more excited.

I have one question.  When you booked Ricky's Tours, did that include your trip to Volcanoes National Park or did the tour end before your lunch stop?