Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

4 hours ago, bkjewett said:

We will be in Mallorca on April 3rd.  I have teenagers that are determined to swim in the Mediterranean and I think this stop will be our best option.  Are the beach clubs that you mention in this topic open during this time?  Or would it be better to just find a beach closer to town?  If so, any recommendations?  I read a bit about Portixol Beach?  Thanks so much.  This forum has been super informative.

Make sure you have plans to fill your day after the swim.  It will probably be a very short one.  Average sea temperatures in Mallorca in April is 60º F.

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/spain/palma-april.htm

8 hours ago, marazul said:

Make sure you have plans to fill your day after the swim.  It will probably be a very short one.  Average sea temperatures in Mallorca in April is 60º F.

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/spain/palma-april.htm

Hi ,

The sea temperatures are changing due climate change yesterday the sea temperature was 60 degrees and it was 70 in the sun with lots of people swimming,so a day at the beach should be O.K.

Roger b 

6 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi ,

The sea temperatures are changing due climate change yesterday the sea temperature was 60 degrees and it was 70 in the sun with lots of people swimming,so a day at the beach should be O.K.

Roger b 

I bet you that most people swimming in 60 degree water were Scandinavian tourists enjoying the "balmy" Med and getting away from the frigid Baltic.  I don't know where @bkjewett lives, but many people from warmer climates would think that the water in Mallorca right now is the "Polar plunge."

Very many first time visitors to the Mediterranean think it is like the Caribbean with 80-84 degree seas year round.  They should be aware of what to expect at the time they go and decide whether they whether they would want to try it or not. By August the sea temps in Palma should be 80 or higher.  Today, it is 58 degrees. 

https://www.seatemperature.org/ gives current as well as average sea temperatures for locations all over the world for every day of the year.

From Northern Minnesota and my blood is about 75% Scandinavian. Ha!  So yes definitely used to cold weather and fully aware it won’t be Caribbean weather. But I have some determined teenagers so just trying to make it happen for them.  Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

I bet you that most people swimming in 60 degree water were Scandinavian tourists enjoying the "balmy" Med and getting away from the frigid Baltic.  I don't know where @bkjewett lives, but many people from warmer climates would think that the water in Mallorca right now is the "Polar plunge."

Very many first time visitors to the Mediterranean think it is like the Caribbean with 80-84 degree seas year round.  They should be aware of what to expect at the time they go and decide whether they whether they would want to try it or not. By August the sea temps in Palma should be 80 or higher.  Today, it is 58 degrees. 

https://www.seatemperature.org/ gives current as well as average sea temperatures for locations all over the world for every day of the year.

Yes you are right  with your  observations, Personally  I would not  venture  in sea until May ,living on the beach I see kids run in and out of the sea and can't  understand  why they don't  feel the cold ,early  April  we usually  get a week of rain so this might  put a dampener  on a beach day !!

Roger b 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, vising Palma in May. I'm in the manual wheelchair, so our options are quite limited. is hop-on, hop-off buses come anywhere near the port. I know many of them are wheelchair friendly.

Also, are the streets in Palma mostly cobblestone?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, lina b said:

Hi, vising Palma in May. I'm in the manual wheelchair, so our options are quite limited. is hop-on, hop-off buses come anywhere near the port. I know many of them are wheelchair friendly.

Also, are the streets in Palma mostly cobblestone?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, 

If your ship docks at the quay nearest to the. Passio Maritimo the stop is just outside the terminal, the bus is wheelchair friendly.

If the ship docks at the farthest quay you can get a taxi into the city about 10/12 eu.

The streets are not cobble stones and if you pick your route generally flat.

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus-tours.com/tour-city-sightseeing-palma-de-mallorca-hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAibeuBhAAEiwAiXBoJHP84mVruRpK1rxSUmQd6xcTlmCnR1diQtoiFVwp7lrM4g3ZbpLQWxoCbdsQAvD_BwE

Roger b 

• 2 weeks later...

We ( 2 adults) will be in Palma on NCL Escape in May from noon to 8 and want to visit the aquarium and the beach across the street from it.  I assume the quickest and easiest way to get there is a taxi.  When we are ready to head back to the ship will there be taxis around there?  I see there is also a bus. What is the best way to get back?

5 minutes ago, JennKach said:

We ( 2 adults) will be in Palma on NCL Escape in May from noon to 8 and want to visit the aquarium and the beach across the street from it.  I assume the quickest and easiest way to get there is a taxi.  When we are ready to head back to the ship will there be taxis around there?  I see there is also a bus. What is the best way to get back?

Hi ,

You should have no problem a taxi  will take about 30 minutes  from the port,about 35/40 eu

Or you could take the bus (No 1) starts from in front of the main cruise terminal will take around  1 hour  .

,but it will require  a change to (No 31).

You should have no problem  getting  a taxi back to the port. 

It is only a short walk  to the beach. 

https://tickets.palmaaquarium.com/es/schedule/

Roger b 

1 hour ago, lina b said:

Hello,

is HOHO busses come to the cruise terminal? We have a long stop, and want to use them as transportation.

Thank you

Hi, 

Yes Ho Ho bus does stop as the main cruise terminal, but if your ships  quay is at the far western dock you will be better off picking it up in town as it is a long walk to the pick up point

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/25/palma-de-mallorca?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=city&utm_content=Plm_Mllrc_gmb&utm_campaign=QR-CS_Mllrca&utm_term=csaffiliation

See routes 

Roger b 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we will be in Palma on Sunday, July 21.  Our ship docks at noon.  We are looking at maybe doing a beach day.  Are there any beaches that we could reserve chairs & umbrellas at that time?    

1 minute ago, FlashF15 said:

Hi, we will be in Palma on Sunday, July 21.  Our ship docks at noon.  We are looking at maybe doing a beach day.  Are there any beaches that we could reserve chairs & umbrellas at that time?    

Hi, 

Yes you can book on line at his beach.

https://balnearioilletas.com/?ved=2ahUKEwiAx-aJ8YiFAxXbU6QEHUX2CcYQgU96BAgrEAQ

This quite close to the port , if you look back at my posts on this thread you will find my suggestions on beaches on the  bigger beaches you should find beds without booking

Roger b.

8 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

Just looked, all the beds are taken on that day. 🙁  Maybe we will have more luck at the larger beaches.  But, the ship doesn't arrive until noon.

I live next store to this beach , if you want to go I can probably get you a bed ,send exact times and name to my email at shoeuk at hotmail .com .

Roger b 

Hi We will be a large group in Mallorca on 10/15/24. We may all do different things but it's a pretty active group. After preliminary searches, I'm thinking biking may be the way to see the sites. I saw a previous post by Roger (man you are a great source of info!) or swim and beach club if it's warm enough. I'd love to hear suggestions. We have from 8-6 in Mallorca, which looks stunning!!

4 hours ago, TBruc said:

Hi We will be a large group in Mallorca on 10/15/24. We may all do different things but it's a pretty active group. After preliminary searches, I'm thinking biking may be the way to see the sites. I saw a previous post by Roger (man you are a great source of info!) or swim and beach club if it's warm enough. I'd love to hear suggestions. We have from 8-6 in Mallorca, which looks stunning!!

Hi, October is a lovey month to visit Mallorca ,if you are up to an energetic bike ride this would be a good way to see the sites .

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/mallorca-cycling-routes/

An easier day would be to just cover Palma .

https://www.palma.co.uk/cycling.php

Roger b 

Hi Roger,
We will be in Palma middle of August from cruise ship and want to spend day at beach. Do you suggest booking ahead at the Balneario Illetas or going to Palma Nova beach this time of year? We are looking to taxi both ways and rent chairs and umbrella. I Appreciate your help or any other suggestions for this beach day. 

1 hour ago, tauntoncheer said:

Hi Roger,
We will be in Palma middle of August from cruise ship and want to spend day at beach. Do you suggest booking ahead at the Balneario Illetas or going to Palma Nova beach this time of year? We are looking to taxi both ways and rent chairs and umbrella. I Appreciate your help or any other suggestions for this beach day. 

Hi, 

Both beaches will be very crowded in August,you will find a bed on the Palma Nova beach you can't book one ,Illetas is much smaller and has a limited number of beds.

Personally I would still go to Illetas as it is far prettier , there 3 beaches there with a mix of sand and rocky shoreline.

If you are there around 10am you will definitely find a bed .if you book the restaurant for lunch it is excellent.

It will be Hot !!

Roger b 

Roger sorry to bother you with one more question! We have decided on Son Matias or Palma Nova Beach and plan to take cab from Port there in morning. Are cabs easy to get back to ship from the beach area in the afternoon? Thank you again. 

8 hours ago, tauntoncheer said:

Roger sorry to bother you with one more question! We have decided on Son Matias or Palma Nova Beach and plan to take cab from Port there in morning. Are cabs easy to get back to ship from the beach area in the afternoon? Thank you again. 

Hi ,

You should have no problem getting a taxi back to the port, there are 2 taxi ranks in Palma Nova which you will see as you come into the town, and one in the center.

You will have bigger choices of restaurants and facilities also.

Roger b

My understanding is that RCCL usually docks ay Estacio Maritima. Are there different parts? Dique de Oeste? Muelle de Poniente? Are they near each other? 
thank you