Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

Sorry for above quote post - it was a mistake & I don’t see where to delete it. Anyway….. @roger b - We are a party of 6 arriving in Palma on 26 Jan 2024 - in port from 1000 - 2000. We are thinking of renting a car & I saw you mentioned there is one near the port or will deliver a car to the port (arash) - could you please provide more details on how far the walk is & if it’s an actual company site there or if a car is just left to pick up?  Also, being that it is Jan, do you think Soller & Valldemossa are good options for that time of year or if things will be shut down?  Or do you have suggestions for a better itinerary for this time of year?  Thank you so much for any help you can provide. We were in Palma many, many years ago & saw the highlights of the city, so we are looking forward to seeing a different part of the island this time. Happy New Year!

Just now, yldwest said:

Sorry for above quote post - it was a mistake & I don’t see where to delete it. Anyway….. @roger b - We are a party of 6 arriving in Palma on 26 Jan 2024 - in port from 1000 - 2000. We are thinking of renting a car & I saw you mentioned there is one near the port or will deliver a car to the port (arash) - could you please provide more details on how far the walk is & if it’s an actual company site there or if a car is just left to pick up?  Also, being that it is Jan, do you think Soller & Valldemossa are good options for that time of year or if things will be shut down?  Or do you have suggestions for a better itinerary for this time of year?  Thank you so much for any help you can provide. We were in Palma many, many years ago & saw the highlights of the city, so we are looking forward to seeing a different part of the island this time. Happy New Year!

More info: we like scenic drives & walks as well as historical sites & architecture. We are ages 22 - 76 but all can walk a few miles or wait while others go further. Thanks again!

49 minutes ago, yldwest said:

Hi , perfect time no crowds,  you can rent a car form Arash. 

https://arashrentacar.com/

They will leave car at the port and you return  it there it is painless everything done on line before hand .

Soller and Valldemossa  will be quiet  with a few places closed .

I have given a day out further back driving to port de  Andreix and then along the coast road to the two villages  you want to see 

Roger b 

Lots of pages to go through so thought I would just ask to save me lots of reading time. 

A large family trip is planned for this summer including 7 children ages 3 - 12.   Do you think there is enough to see, do and eat 🙂 by just wandering town near the port and having lunch?  

I suspect beaches will be packed in August.  

Thank you  

2 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Lots of pages to go through so thought I would just ask to save me lots of reading time. 

A large family trip is planned for this summer including 7 children ages 3 - 12.   Do you think there is enough to see, do and eat 🙂 by just wandering town near the port and having lunch?  

I suspect beaches will be packed in August.  

Thank you  

Hi.

Yes, the beaches will be pretty crowded so will the the city of Palma.

My advise would be with young children would be explore the city in the morning ,have lunch if you wish and high tail it back to the ship for the afternoon.

Palma in August can be unbearable and no fun for young children.

If you have never been it is a wonderful place to explore,but not in August!!!!

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Hi.

Yes, the beaches will be pretty crowded so will the the city of Palma.

My advise would be with young children would be explore the city in the morning ,have lunch if you wish and high tail it back to the ship for the afternoon.

Palma in August can be unbearable and no fun for young children.

If you have never been it is a wonderful place to explore,but not in August!!!!

As expected.   With our group of both school children and teachers, our time of year options for the trip were very limited.   Thanks for the advice.   

We will be arriving in September on the Oasis from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  This will be our first time in Europe.  We are looking to see the most we can in the time we have.  We are from New Jersey (shore area), so wouldn't mind hitting the beach in the morning, lunch, and then seeing some sight seeing.  We really don't know where to start. If we don't have beach time, that's fine as well.  We are in our early 50's.  We are always go, go, go when we cruise.  We don't plan on returning to the ship until sail away time as we want to make the most of our visit.

Any suggestions, this is so overwhelming!

3 hours ago, geenafeena said:

We will be arriving in September on the Oasis from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.  This will be our first time in Europe.  We are looking to see the most we can in the time we have.  We are from New Jersey (shore area), so wouldn't mind hitting the beach in the morning, lunch, and then seeing some sight seeing.  We really don't know where to start. If we don't have beach time, that's fine as well.  We are in our early 50's.  We are always go, go, go when we cruise.  We don't plan on returning to the ship until sail away time as we want to make the most of our visit.

Any suggestions, this is so overwhelming!

Hi,

As you have a around 7 hours ashore it will be difficult to do both,Palma is a wonderful place to visit.

You can find plenty to see in the city ,most things do not open until 10am .

Start your city walk at the central market ( Mercat Oliver) have a coffee with the locals.

Make your way down to the cathedral and explore around there.

Here some good ideas of what to do:

https://www.seemallorca.com/walks/city

Roger b

Hi Roger B………first, Happy and Healthy New Year and thank you for all of your advice. We port in Palma Monday, May 20 from 8-4. We have been there twice before. Our preference this trip is to take a taxi and arrive early at Mercat de l’Olivar…..there is a cappuccino with our names on it. About what would the taxi cost from the port? Euros or CC?

Our main plan is to stroll, shop, grab some pastries, end up strolling through Placa Major, Pg del Born……would Carrer de Sant Miguel be a good route from Mercato Oliver or do you have other suggestions? Any other streets, plazas we should not omit? 

What would be a good end point around 2pm to grab a taxi back? Placa de la Reina?

Thank you from New York City where we await rain, sleet and snow through Sunday☃️
cannot complain…….NYC has not seen any real snow since February 2022.

Stay safe and thanks for your traveling guidance…….we do appreciate it❤️

9 minutes ago, martyap said:

Hi Roger B………first, Happy and Healthy New Year and thank you for all of your advice. We port in Palma Monday, May 20 from 8-4. We have been there twice before. Our preference this trip is to take a taxi and arrive early at Mercat de l’Olivar…..there is a cappuccino with our names on it. About what would the taxi cost from the port? Euros or CC?

Our main plan is to stroll, shop, grab some pastries, end up strolling through Placa Major, Pg del Born……would Carrer de Sant Miguel be a good route from Mercato Oliver or do you have other suggestions? Any other streets, plazas we should not omit? 

What would be a good end point around 2pm to grab a taxi back? Placa de la Reina?

Thank you from New York City where we await rain, sleet and snow through Sunday☃️
cannot complain…….NYC has not seen any real snow since February 2022.

Stay safe and thanks for your traveling guidance…….we do appreciate it❤️

Hi Marty,

Happy New year  to you as well  

Yes this sounds perfect if you have not seen  the Cathedral  it should not be missed .

The whole area around the Born is great for shopping. 

Look  for Rialto living  it's a design shop in an old mansion  fantastic .

Taxi to Mercat Oliver about 20eu .

No Snow here vveiw from my terrace. 

Best Roger b

IMG_20231221_143205_454.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi Marty,

Happy New year  to you as well  

Yes this sounds perfect if you have not seen  the Cathedral  it should not be missed .

The whole area around the Born is great for shopping. 

Look  for Rialto living  it's a design shop in an old mansion  fantastic .

Taxi to Mercat Oliver about 20eu .

No Snow here vveiw from my terrace. 

Best Roger b

IMG_20231221_143205_454.jpg

Very, very, very jealous☀️

is Carrer Sant Miguel a good route?

thank you

Some really great details in this thread, thanks for all the contributions!

We will be arriving in Mallorca mid-August 2024 on the Oasis - seeing that it may be unbearably hot, but looking at options.  We'll have a group of 12 (6 kids (6-16), 6 adults), and potentially another group of 11 (with similar makeup of kids/adults) Given the likely heat, what is the best way to see the port for the group?  I haven't looked at the tour options yet...

Thanks!

Hi Roger B!

I have read so much in this post over the last few months and appreciate all the tips.  Honestly so much is running together planning this cruise though.  We are in port in February from 0800-1800.  We are renting a car through Arash per your advice.  Now to plan the drive.  I want to try to see as much of the island as possible, my husband and I do not like crowds and love a little off the beaten path and adventure.  The route I have tentatively drawn up is Valldemossa, Deia, Port deSoller/Soller, Sa Calobra.  Does this sound ok?  Anything to add or subtract?  Any special spots to check out? 

4 hours ago, smhagen said:

Hi Roger B!

I have read so much in this post over the last few months and appreciate all the tips.  Honestly so much is running together planning this cruise though.  We are in port in February from 0800-1800.  We are renting a car through Arash per your advice.  Now to plan the drive.  I want to try to see as much of the island as possible, my husband and I do not like crowds and love a little off the beaten path and adventure.  The route I have tentatively drawn up is Valldemossa, Deia, Port deSoller/Soller, Sa Calobra.  Does this sound ok?  Anything to add or subtract?  Any special spots to check out? 

Hi ,

Yes a good  plan as you have also much time you could get more in .

I would take the motorway from the port to port de Andreix then take the spectacular Coast road round to Valldermossa.

See the village of Banyalbufar on the way.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/banyalbufar/

Continue with the rest of your plan.

After Sa Colobra go the Monastery at Lluc and see the black Madonna.

Then back to the port ,roads will be empty and a lot of shops and restaurants closed so try to pick out where you will stop for lunch.

Roger b

5 hours ago, speedster said:

We will be arriving in Mallorca mid-August 2024 on the Oasis - seeing that it may be unbearably hot, but looking at options.  We'll have a group of 12 (6 kids (6-16), 6 adults), and potentially another group of 11 (with similar makeup of kids/adults) Given the likely heat, what is the best way to see the port for the group?  I haven't looked at the tour options yet...

Thanks!

Hi,

I think I have answered  the same question about 6 posts back  in post 533.

17 hours ago, speedster said:

Thanks!

We are on the Oasis starting August 8th.  Same?  

Hello,

First time to Europe, but veteran cruisers of many beach ports in the Caribbean, so I think we’re going to skip the beach in Mallorca and spend a nice leisurely day exploring and wandering around the city of Palma. We are 57 yrs. old and 15 yrs. old.

Like so many, we’ll be arriving on the Oasis of the Seas on Monday, June 17, 2024 and be in port from 8 am - 4 pm.

From what I’ve gathered in other posts, many shops & stores in Palma don’t open until 10:00 am?

Our idea would be to take a taxi from the cruise port around 9:00 am to Mercat Oliver (Central Market) and begin our day of exploring from there and return to the cruise port by 3:00 pm or so.

Questions:

Is a taxi the best or most convenient way?

Are taxis readily available outside the port?

Approximate cost & travel time to Mercat Oliver?

Do taxis take credit cards or is cash (Euros) preferred?

Do most shops, restaurants take credit cards?

Are taxis readily available in Palma for a return to the port?

Are pickpockets common in Palma?

Thanks for your responses and recommendations.

4 hours ago, Racer70 said:

Hello,

First time to Europe, but veteran cruisers of many beach ports in the Caribbean, so I think we’re going to skip the beach in Mallorca and spend a nice leisurely day exploring and wandering around the city of Palma. We are 57 yrs. old and 15 yrs. old.

Like so many, we’ll be arriving on the Oasis of the Seas on Monday, June 17, 2024 and be in port from 8 am - 4 pm.

From what I’ve gathered in other posts, many shops & stores in Palma don’t open until 10:00 am?

Our idea would be to take a taxi from the cruise port around 9:00 am to Mercat Oliver (Central Market) and begin our day of exploring from there and return to the cruise port by 3:00 pm or so.

Questions:

Hi, 

4 hours ago, Racer70 said:

Hello,

Questions:

Hi,

It is possible  to get the bus from outside  the port gates  2eu into town .

Taxi  for 4 around 15 eu to the market, no credit cards 15 /20min ride.

Best  way to go!!

All shops  and restaurants take credit cards. 

You should  find  no difficulty in finding  a taxi for your return to the port. 

Palma is generally  safe , but with every large  city you have to be aware ,leave  the gold Rolex in the safe !!

Roger b 

• Thanks 1