Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

5 hours ago, silkworms said:

Hi Roger b

in Palma off cruise ship Saturday 10 June. In port 10am to 8pm

we wish to meet friends at San Joan Restaurant, Carrer de Sant Joan for tapas lunch.

If we meet them at Cathedral is the restaurant walkable (I have booked it for 1.30] or do you suggest getting a taxi from port direct to restaurant.Many thanks.

5 hours ago, silkworms said:

Hi Roger b

in Palma off cruise ship Saturday 10 June. In port 10am to 8pm

we wish to meet friends at San Joan Restaurant, Carrer de Sant Joan for tapas lunch.

If we meet them at Cathedral is the restaurant walkable (I have booked it for 1.30] or do you suggest getting a taxi from port direct to restaurant.Many thanks.

Hi ,it is a 5 min walk from the cathedral to the restaurant,If you can leave the ship just after 10 am get the ships shuttle in to town it stops near the near the cathedral.

You will have plenty of time to explore before meeting your friends 

Roger b 

On 5/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, roger b said:

Hi Cruisegal,

I am pleased everything worked out for you and you were able to see a large slice of what Mallorca has to offer.

Just one point that you might not have realized is that you still have to queue to pick up your tickets if you book on line.

I did a tour for some friends a week ago and they were able to do everything that you did but did Palma and the cathedral first .

They caught the 12.15 train Soller then the 2.00 pm tram to pt de Soller ,spent a little time in Valdermossa and made it back to the ship by 5.00 pm.

Their ship did not leave until 8.00 pm !! I agree it's down to timing if you do it yourself and how much you want to see personally I feel that one way  train journey is enough and I would have got a taxi back to Palma then one would have more time in Palma following your plan to do it on one's own.

It definitely depends on timing and the ship's schedule.  We had to be back before 5:30 and since it took us about 45 minutes to drive from the port to the train station, we didn't want to chance being late on the way back.  I think, in retrospect, as much as we enjoyed Valldemossa and the ride down, if I were to do it myself, I'd just take the train to Soller and the tram to the port of Soller and spend some relaxing time in both those places before returning to Palma to spend more time there.

1 hour ago, cruisegal415 said:

It definitely depends on timing and the ship's schedule.  We had to be back before 5:30 and since it took us about 45 minutes to drive from the port to the train station, we didn't want to chance being late on the way back.  I think, in retrospect, as much as we enjoyed Valldemossa and the ride down, if I were to do it myself, I'd just take the train to Soller and the tram to the port of Soller and spend some relaxing time in both those places before returning to Palma to spend more time there.

Hi Cruisegal,

45 mins to the train station, you must have had a crooked taxi driver who took you on a trip round the houses, this was unfortunate as it should not take longer than  15/20 mins .

My answer to this is to put the trip on google Maps and show it to the driver when you get in the taxi !!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Train+Sóller,+Carrer+d'Eusebi+Estada,+Palma/Port+de+Palma+de+Mallorca,+07015+Palma,+Illes+Balears/@39.569638,2.586144,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x12979256a071f9a5:0x2746db424c476f4d!2m2!1d2.6537915!2d39.5766648!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297920f07e67919:0x8389b14beed361ea!2m2!1d2.6266877!2d39.5528829!3e0?authuser=0&entry=ttu roger b

Edited by roger b
A bit missing

32 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi Cruisegal,

45 mins to the train station, you must have had a crooked taxi driver who took you on a trip round the houses, this was unfortunate as it should not take longer than  15/20 mins .

My answer to this is to put the trip on google Maps and show it to the driver when you get in the taxi !!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Train+Sóller,+Carrer+d'Eusebi+Estada,+Palma/Port+de+Palma+de+Mallorca,+07015+Palma,+Illes+Balears/@39.569638,2.586144,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x12979256a071f9a5:0x2746db424c476f4d!2m2!1d2.6537915!2d39.5766648!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297920f07e67919:0x8389b14beed361ea!2m2!1d2.6266877!2d39.5528829!3e0?authuser=0&entry=ttu roger b

No it was our private driver and it was bumper to bumper getting out of the port. 

We will be arriving via cruise ship on Sunday 10/1.  I see some things are closed that day.  We decided to rent a 300cc vespa to get around and see the sites.  We are docked from 9 - 7 pm and have the scooter from 9:30 till as late as 5:30  if we want.  What would be a good itinerary trying to see Rafa Nadal Museum Experience, Cala Petita, Drach Caves, Sanctuary Sante Salvadore.  Anything else you recommend.  Is this too much in the time period we are there?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, pgswan said:

We will be arriving via cruise ship on Sunday 10/1.  I see some things are closed that day.  We decided to rent a 300cc vespa to get around and see the sites.  We are docked from 9 - 7 pm and have the scooter from 9:30 till as late as 5:30  if we want.  What would be a good itinerary trying to see Rafa Nadal Museum Experience, Cala Petita, Drach Caves, Sanctuary Sante Salvadore.  Anything else you recommend.  Is this too much in the time period we are there?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hi you should have no problem with time , look at google maps to plan your route .

Looks an interesting itinerary,you might get Porto Colom in on the way back .

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/sanctuary-sant-salvador-felanitx/

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/porto-colom/

Roger b

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for all the information. We are traveling to Mallorca in July on Symphony. We decided on booking Beach Club Gran Folies for the day. Do you have any recommendations on best way to get there from port? How much time we should give ourselves? Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, tho44280 said:

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for all the information. We are traveling to Mallorca in July on Symphony. We decided on booking Beach Club Gran Folies for the day. Do you have any recommendations on best way to get there from port? How much time we should give ourselves? Thanks in advance!

Hi 

This is a good choice even if a little difficult to get to you have three options Taxi ,Uber (hit and miss ) or hire a car.

A taxi is the easiest .

Or look again at your choice of beach club and pick one nearer to the port .

Nikki beach in Magaluf or Puro beach in Illetas both excellent and expensive 

Will be in Palma on an August Monday, hoping to go to Illetas beach.  I appreciate all the info on this thread!  I see that I can reserve a lounger online (https://balnearioilletas.com/reservas) at $40 apiece.  Is this typical pricing?  Will it be even more if purchased day of?

Also - the restaurant looks beautiful but we have a couple food allergies/picky eaters in our group.  Are there other restaurants in the area should their menu not work?

1 minute ago, biz1323 said:

Will be in Palma on an August Monday, hoping to go to Illetas beach.  I appreciate all the info on this thread!  I see that I can reserve a lounger online (https://balnearioilletas.com/reservas) at $40 apiece.  Is this typical pricing?  Will it be even more if purchased day of?

Also - the restaurant looks beautiful but we have a couple food allergies/picky eaters in our group.  Are there other restaurants in the area should their menu not work?

Hi There are 3 beaches in illetas with some costing 15 eu for a lounger  there are also restaurants on each beach .

The balinerio Illetas is the best the others are also good .

You will find all food options on All of them .

https://balnearioilletas.com/en/menus/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-b-kBhB-EiwA4fvKrPpsdlZrigRX-iKWaVz5aizHC7CfAIGx_wogfIFv6MdhOm0E8_gQxhoCvEcQAvD_BwE

Roger b

Hi-  I am going to be in Palma on my first solo cruise February 9th from 8 am to 6 pm and would like to visit Sóller and Palma.  How quiet will Sóller be at that time of year?  I have a mobility issue in my right leg so I thought Valldemossa might be a bit too hilly for me.  I want to leave plenty of time for Palma as I’m an architecture buff too.   

33 minutes ago, katmu said:

Hi-  I am going to be in Palma on my first solo cruise February 9th from 8 am to 6 pm and would like to visit Sóller and Palma.  How quiet will Sóller be at that time of year?  I have a mobility issue in my right leg so I thought Valldemossa might be a bit too hilly for me.  I want to leave plenty of time for Palma as I’m an architecture buff too.   

Hi ,it should be very quiet very few tourists at this time of the year .

How do you plan to make the trip between Palma and Soller? Valdermossa is not hilly and I would say more interesting than Soller.

Either  place is only a short visit !!

Roger b 

3 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi ,it should be very quiet very few tourists at this time of the year .

How do you plan to make the trip between Palma and Soller? Valdermossa is not hilly and I would say more interesting than Soller.

Either  place is only a short visit !!

Roger b 

I was thinking of probably a taxi unless there’s an easier option.  I would like to see Valdermossa if it’s not hilly.  

15 minutes ago, katmu said:

I was thinking of probably a taxi unless there’s an easier option.  I would like to see Valdermossa if it’s not hilly.  

15 minutes ago, katmu said:

Remember nothing opens until 10am ,and a taxi would be best  .

When you you have planned your day let me know and I can help you make the best of it .

Look back through my posts on this  blog and you will find my plan for others .

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am seeing posts of long lines to get taxis at the port. Is there a beach close to the port that we could walk to? Or, could we catch a ferry from the port to go to a beach?

People are reporting waiting up to 45 minutes for a taxi.

Thanks,

Stephanie

5 hours ago, seba1 said:

Hi everyone! I am seeing posts of long lines to get taxis at the port. Is there a beach close to the port that we could walk to? Or, could we catch a ferry from the port to go to a beach?

People are reporting waiting up to 45 minutes for a taxi.

Thanks,

Stephanie

I don't know where you have seen these reports ,but it definitely not Palma !! I pass the cruise terminal everyday day and there are no problems getting a taxi .

Probably Barcelona ??

9 hours ago, roger b said:

I don't know where you have seen these reports ,but it definitely not Palma !! I pass the cruise terminal everyday day and there are no problems getting a taxi .

Probably Barcelona ??

Roger -

That's good to hear. It was on a group for Symphony of the Seas where the feedback was shared. Maybe we will wait an hour to get off the boat just in case. Do you recommend a beach? We don't want to pay for the beach club, but many want to swim in the Mediterranean. 

Thx!

19 minutes ago, seba1 said:

Roger -

That's good to hear. It was on a group for Symphony of the Seas where the feedback was shared. Maybe we will wait an hour to get off the boat just in case. Do you recommend a beach? We don't want to pay for the beach club, but many want to swim in the Mediterranean. 

Thx!

Hi this should be a quiet and simple beach to go to, 15 mins in a taxi or catch No 4 bus ,no high prices sun loungers and safe swimming.

https://www.mallorca-beaches.com/en/cala-xinxell/

Roger b

• Like 1

Hello!

We (Dh, 17 and 15 yo boys and myself) will dock in Palma on July 14 (celebrity edge, 8h-18h). This is our first time in Mallorca.  We would love to see some of the nature, scenery and beautiful coastal views. I was thinking of renting. Car for the day and drive to the mirador es Colomer and Alcudia. 

Is this feasible? Should we be worried about traffic jams? Any other suggestions?

TIA! 

1 hour ago, adamrayan said:

Hello!

We (Dh, 17 and 15 yo boys and myself) will dock in Palma on July 14 (celebrity edge, 8h-18h). This is our first time in Mallorca.  We would love to see some of the nature, scenery and beautiful coastal views. I was thinking of renting. Car for the day and drive to the mirador es Colomer and Alcudia. 

Is this feasible? Should we be worried about traffic jams? Any other suggestions?

TIA! 

Hi,

No problem with hiring a car or traffic jams go back to my posts to see how to do it .

Hire a car from Arash car hire he will leave it at the port and you return it there.

Personally I think I would drive around the S.W of the island it's far prettier.

https://www.seemallorca.com/news/serra-de-tramuntana-best-natural-destination-island-698523

22 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi,

No problem with hiring a car or traffic jams go back to my posts to see how to do it .

Hire a car from Arash car hire he will leave it at the port and you return it there.

Personally I think I would drive around the S.W of the island it's far prettier.

https://www.seemallorca.com/news/serra-de-tramuntana-best-natural-destination-island-698523

Hello Roger and thanks for your answer. I emailed arash and hope they have availability! If not, I booked a (refundable) car through Europcar, looks like a 20ish minutes walk from port (perhaps we can take a taxi?)

I am having a hard time finding the post you are referring too, any chance you can point it out to me? Thanks!