Final word from RCCL on Jeans-in-Dining-Room policy

PAGA

Yes thet rent formal wear for women and the phrase "suggest attire" does NOT appear in the Cruise Vacation Guide send out by RCCL. Further I stand by by use of the word "disgusting".

Congratulations ! ! ! You CAN read.

Now you'll also notice it does not say: Suggested, Recommended, Implied, Advised, Insinuated or Proposed. Do you know why? Because this is what RCI WANTS you to do. Check it out:

When you get your docs mailed to you, you will receive a spiral bound book. In this book you will find “Guest Vacation Documents”

Under CRUISE VACATION GUIDE

WHAT SHOULD I PACK?

Days on board are casual, and you’ll be most comfortable in sports clothes and resort wear. Shoes should be low healed for deck activities. Bring a few swimsuits (so you’ll always have a dry one).

Ashore, you’ll need comfortable walking shoes. For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire.

Casual: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

Formal: Cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men.

See tuxedo rental info on pages 21-23.

If you’re cruising to the Caribbean, Mexico or other warm weather destinations, bring a hat for protection from the sun. If your cruise vacation will take you to Alaska, Canada/New England or Northern Europe, be sure to pack a jacket and several sweaters. We recommend that you hand-carry all travel documents, medications and any personal items that will meet your needs until your luggage is delivered to your stateroom. Luggage delivery aboard may take a few hours.

EVENING ATTIRE

The following will help you plan your evening attire onboard the ship:

3-5 night cruises……….………….. 10-12 night cruises

One formal night……………….……….Two formal nights

All other nights are casual….…….Three smart casual nights

………………………………….…….…………All other nights are casual

6-9 night cruises………..……………13-15 night cruises

Two formal nights………………….……Three formal nights

One smart casual night……………...Four smart casual nights

All other nights are casual.…….….All other nights are casual

Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options each night.

Don't know if anyone else is tired of the debate on these boards and has posed the question to RCCL, but here's the response I received:

"Denim jeans are allowed in the main dining room on casual attire evenings.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Pedro Curbelo

Customer Service Representative"

Got my reply from RCI.....(my original question to RCI is at bottom)

RE: Dress Code

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delay in responding. The dress code for all guests regardless of age is as follows:

Three and Four Night Cruises:

One formal night

Two or three casual nights

Five Night Cruises:

One formal night

One smart casual

Three casual nights

Seven and Eight Night Cruises

Two formal nights

Two smart casual nights

Three or four casual nights

Ten, Eleven, and Twelve Night Cruises

Two formal nights

Three smart casual nights

All other nights are casual

Fourteen and Fifteen Night Cruises

Three formal nights

Four smart casual nights

Seven or eight casual nights

Casual: sun dresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuit for women; jackets for men.

Formal: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties, or tuxedos for men.

Jeans, Shorts, T-shirts, and bathing attire are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe.

Michael Scott

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-1VFH6T]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 1/30/2006 02:58:38 PM

To: <crownandanchor@rccl.com>

Subject: < No Subject >

We are considering going on a cruise. We have been reading some of the web site. Can you tell me if we have to wear formal attire on formal night to the dining room? What is Smart Casual? And on casual night, are jeans considered appropriate in the dining room?

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the delay in responding. The dress code for all guests regardless of age is as follows:

One formal night

Five Night Cruises:

One formal night

One smart casual

Three casual nights

Two formal nights

Two smart casual nights

Two formal nights

Three formal nights

Four smart casual nights

Casual: sun dresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Jeans, Shorts, T-shirts, and bathing attire are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe.

Michael Scott

We are considering going on a cruise. We have been reading some of the web site. Can you tell me if we have to wear formal attire on formal night to the dining room? What is Smart Casual? And on casual night, are jeans considered appropriate in the dining room?

Is Michael Scott 65 years old? Just wondering because the info in his "message" to you is at least 15-20 years old. I am reading my cruise document "Cruise Vacation Guide"...page 2, "What should I pack" 6-9 night cruises-"2 formal nights...1 smart casual...all others are casual". The word "jeans" is not mentioned at all.

I do remember the info you have posted above was pretty much the way it was years and years ago....but that is ancient history.:)

Dear Valued Guest,

One formal night

Five Night Cruises:

One formal night

One smart casual

Three casual nights

Two formal nights

Two smart casual nights

Two formal nights

Three formal nights

Four smart casual nights

Michael Scott

I have decided to try a new tactic:

Oh, my, yes! You are so right!

Is Michael Scott 65 years old? Just wondering because the info in his "message" to you is at least 15-20 years old. I am reading my cruise document "Cruise Vacation Guide"...page 2, "What should I pack" 6-9 night cruises-"2 formal nights...1 smart casual...all others are casual". The word "jeans" is not mentioned at all.

I do remember the info you have posted above was pretty much the way it was years and years ago....but that is ancient history.:)

It doesn't matter how old Michael is, the info was just recieved 02/06.

From Ohunion Cruzers emailed response from RCI:"Formal: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties, or tuxedos for men."

So then this will also put to rest all of the inquires as to whether a fancy women's pantsuit is "ok" for formal night - conctail dresses ONLY (Make mine a martini!:D). And ladies - Sister Margaret Mary will be on-hand to make certain that they are not TOO short!

All of those dress tartans and dress military uniforms are right out as well - they are not "suits and ties or tuxedos." Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get a petition to RCCI - suits must be dark colored (hate those seersucker things on formal night) and maybe get a ruling on lapel width and cumberbund colors?

Now you'll also notice it does not say: Suggested, Recommended, Implied, Advised, Insinuated or Proposed. Do you know why? Because this is what RCI WANTS you to do. Check it out:

The entire dress code is at best a suggestion, since the dress code, if one exists, is not enforced. Basically, everyone can wear whatever they want. The only real issue is how many of the other passengers will be bothered by what someone else is wearing.

The entire dress code is at best a suggestion, since the dress code, if one exists, is not enforced. Basically, everyone can wear whatever they want. The only real issue is how many of the other passengers will be bothered by what someone else is wearing.

I agree with this. And frankly, I really don't pay attention to what other people are wearing. I am much more concerned with enjoying my time with my family. I feel sorry for anyone who would let other people's attire spoil their vacation.

BTW, it does say, on the RC website, "Dress Suggestion."

I'd post a link or cut and paste, but I think that would be redundant at this point.

Thanks, Sheffie. Love your Twain quote, by the way. :)

I recently bought a dress for a wedding, and I was wondering if you all thought it would be okay to wear on formal night. It's white, off-the-shoulder, full length with a hoop skirt, hand-beaded chantilly lace, with an 18-foot train, and a floor-length lace veil.

Should I wear it?

Since that's not listed one RCI's suggested attire for formal night, I'm sure many posters on here would probably ask the waiters to tell you to leave, since you are not following the suggestions. They don't suggest wedding dresses with veils, so they must be inappropriate. I'm almost sure you might even ruin someone's cruise by wearing it. :D

I recently bought a dress for a wedding, and I was wondering if you all thought it would be okay to wear on formal night. It's white, off-the-shoulder, full length with a hoop skirt, hand-beaded chantilly lace, with an 18-foot train, and a floor-length lace veil.

Should I wear it?

No, that would be way to dressy for formal night. :D

I think one of the first things I posted to this thread was that eventually, someone else would get a different responce to the same question. It appears that RCI has come through on their Really Consitantly Inconsitant policy again. I think they pruposely try to confuse and disorient their guests so that they can do what they want and we'll just hand over our money to them.

Look, when it comes right down to it, I know what I've seen. That is, I've seen blue jeans in the dining room and not one of the ships staff has ever so much as blinked an eye at it. RCI can say or print what they want but their actions speak louder than words.

As for formal night it's not always so formal for some. I've seen (on a 3 night cruise) two men wearing blue jeans and one of those two men had on dirty blue jeans and a dirty T-shirt. On one of our Alaskan cruises there was a gentleman dressed in nice dark business suit wearing a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I've seen people on every cruise we've been on not wearing a tux, suit or dress but, they are in the minority. Even so, they are still seated without question and, it hasn't affected my experience at all. I've also seen countless people who do NOT stay dressed up or get dressed up before dinner. It does feel a little ackward being dressed up in a tux and standing between people dressed in shorts, flip flops or bathing suits (having been at the pool). However, that's the way RCI does it.

Like I said, we can argue this until the cows come home and it will make little difference. RCI prints one thing, says many different things and then throws them all out when you're actually on the ship. It's what RCI does, not what it says, that really matters in all of this and RCI has allowed blue jeans in the dining room on every cruise (all five of them) we've been on. That includes the 3 night sailing right up to the 12 night med. cruise last October.

If it's uncomfortable for anyone to be in the dining room with someone else who is wearing blue jeans, then RCI may be to casual of a cruise line for you.

Should I wear it?

Why Scarlett honey!....you shouldn't be telling the folks here about your new fancy dining room/ballroom formal dress....:D

Should I wear it?

Only if you wore the matching baseball hat and flip flops.

. . . As for formal night it's not always so formal for some. . . .

I've said it elsewhere - if one is going to dress formal, then 80-90 percent of the people in the dining room on formal night are not appropriately dressed - not just the people who are wearing blue jeans. Formal includes appropriate hosiery, shoes, and undergarments. Forma is not just "a dress", it is a particular style of a dress. Just because someome looks 'nice' doesn't mean that they are not violating the "letter" of the dress code.

And purely from a fashion standpoint, I'd rather see someone in clean, pressed dockers that fit properly, than a 80's era tux reeking of mothballs - there is both the letter of the law and the intent of the law (or in this case letter of the dress code and intent of the dress code).

Wear what you feel is appropriate and let others worry about what they are wearing.

Gene’s Jeans

A cruiser named Gene went a –cruising

He thought he’d be eatin’ and schmoozin’

He walked in with his jeans

To a chorus of screams

So much for Gene’s dreams of cruise boozin’!

His tablemates were all mortified.

“To the dress code we all must abide!

No jeans are allowed

Among this high class crowd

After all, we do have our pride!”

“How dare you destroy our dinner

By wearing denim, you sinner?

Such a horrible thing,

And what’s worse, with no bling!

This dining room’s only for winners!”

They said, “Where is your tux, you ninny?”

After giving his jeans some more scrutiny,

The captain was called.

He ran over, appalled

And cried, “What is this, a mutiny?”

“To the brig!” he shouted out loud

To the whistles and cheers of the crowd.

Poor Gene was then jailed

As the cruise liner sailed.

“That’ll teach him!” the crowd vowed.

The story of Gene’s Jeans is still told

To all cruisers, both new and old

While the dress code’s “suggested”

You’d better be dressed…ded

To the nines, or you’ll end up in the hold!

LeeAnne

Archived