Final word from RCCL on Jeans-in-Dining-Room policy

PAGA

Yes you would. Where else can you go and get this kind of entertainment for free? :D
Do you mean FREE? Or is it INCLUDED in the cost of your internet connection? We DO have to make sure we get those terms right!

As we ALL continue to "agree to disagree" for at least a couple more pages!

Some people just enjoy being under-dressed, because they can get away with it. They would be turned away at a "land" restaurant with the same expected dress code as RCI. And wow, would they be embarrassed and pi$$ed.

The difference is that RCI lacks the will to enforce their stated "expectations". So, no amount of argument here will ever solve this issue...when this thread dies, another one will be started...

Personally I wish RCI would enforce the code on cruises of seven days or longer. Let the 3-4 day party cruisers have their jeans, shorts, tank-tops, etc. at dinner. Who cares anyway...

LL

I'm sure it's subject to change Bob, but you said it was dead and gone. Obviously, each ship/cruise has different criteria.

If people will just read their compass, they will see what is expected/suggested/required/requested(whatever word you choose) attire for any given night.

Smart Casual is nothing more than maybe a sequin/dressy top and slacks/skirt, pantsuit, or cocktail dress for women, and DRESS slacks for men, with a tie, dress shirt, and jacket if they like. Nothing complicated about it.

The problem is that people try to dissect what it means. It is what it is. I don't consider jeans, as slacks, therefore, I do not try to squeeze them into the smart casual nights. I haven't even worn them on casual night, but, they are allowed on casual night.

Most people do follow the suggested dress, but there will be a small percentage who do not, for whatever reason.

As I said earlier, I don't care what people wear anymore, but to say that something is "gone" when it is not, will draw a response from me, for the purpose of correcting inaccurate information.:)

I agree with you, I personally believe in a dress code for cruising. RCI does not seem willing to enforce their dress code (unless something really outrageous, which I haven't witnessed). The darndest thing is the AIs I've been to DO enforce their dress code for their a la carte restaurants. The requirement isn't much-the equivalent of casual on the ship. The last time I saw this happen was at the Paradisus in Punta Cana...a man showed up with a small group of people, he was dressed in a nice shirt and a nice pair of shorts...no entry. As the others had the appropriate attire, he had no choice but to go change. To put it mildly, he was fuming but the staff stuck to their guns.

I agree with you, I personally believe in a dress code for cruising. RCI does not seem willing to enforce their dress code (unless something really outrageous, which I haven't witnessed). The darndest thing is the AIs I've been to DO enforce their dress code for their a la carte restaurants. The requirement isn't much-the equivalent of casual on the ship. The last time I saw this happen was at the Paradisus in Punta Cana...a man showed up with a small group of people, he was dressed in a nice shirt and a nice pair of shorts...no entry. As the others had the appropriate attire, he had no choice but to go change. To put it mildly, he was fuming but the staff stuck to their guns.

I agree with you that is is a problem because RCI does not enforce it. I also, and I hesitate to say this, but I think this board contributes to the issue. People come here to ask about it, and so many people reply with "wear what you want"...blah, blah, blah.....

If the same person never found this board, and they read it right off the website, or in their cruise doc's, then my thoughts are that they would wear the suggested dress.

Perhaps some of those people who do not wear the suggested dress are the ones who have found this site, and have taken the advice of the people saying wear what you want.

Just a thought.....

These jean threads appear and go on ad nauseum. They're like a train wreck. You just can't look away!

For what it's worth, IMHO, jeans do not belong in the dining room at night. Therefore, neither my husband nor I will be wearing them. What the rest of you do is of no concern to me. I've had tablemates, nice people, show up in shorts and ballcaps on non-formal nights.

Do I wish everyone would follow the (insert word) guidelines? YES! I think it is respectful to do so and adds to the ambiance of the evening. Will everyone do so? NO! I'm not going to get my panties in a wad about things and people over which I have absolutely no control.

These jean threads appear and go on ad nauseum. They're like a train wreck. You just can't look away!

For what it's worth, IMHO, jeans do not belong in the dining room at night. Therefore, neither my husband nor I will be wearing them. What the rest of you do is of no concern to me. I've had tablemates, nice people, show up in shorts and ballcaps on non-formal nights.

Do I wish everyone would follow the (insert word) guidelines? YES! I think it is respectful to do so and adds to the ambiance of the evening. Will everyone do so? NO! I'm not going to get my panties in a wad about things and people over which I have absolutely no control.

Nice post Deb....

Ok, here's something from a slightly different perspective. On my last cruise, the airline lost my luggage. DH and I had no formal clothing and were not about to spend several hundred $$ each to buy something for formal night in Nassau. We mentioned to our tablemates the night before that we probably wouldn't come since we did not have appropriate clothing. Being very nice people, they said don't worry about it, come anyway. I spoke to our headwaiter before we left that evening and he said the same thing, come anyway. So we did, even though we felt a bit out of place in our casual attire and we did get a few looks. I suppose if our host made an exception for us because of our circumstance, they couldn't very well turn another person away dressed the same way just because they didn't care to dress in the "suggested" attire. Just some food for thought as there were more than a few other folks in the same position as us on that cruise and we were told at the pursers desk that this happens to some people every cruise.

Now, can we all just try to get along? :D

The problem is that people try to dissect what it means. It is what it is. I don't consider jeans, as slacks, therefore, I do not try to squeeze them into the smart casual nights. I haven't even worn them on casual night, but, they are allowed on casual night.

Anyone else here realize that we could easily be talking about the bible? :)

Ok, here's something from a slightly different perspective. On my last cruise, the airline lost my luggage. DH and I had no formal clothing and were not about to spend several hundred $$ each to buy something for formal night in Nassau. We mentioned to our tablemates the night before that we probably wouldn't come since we did not have appropriate clothing. Being very nice people, they said don't worry about it, come anyway. I spoke to our headwaiter before we left that evening and he said the same thing, come anyway. So we did, even though we felt a bit out of place in our casual attire and we did get a few looks. I suppose if our host made an exception for us because of our circumstance, they couldn't very well turn another person away dressed the same way just because they didn't care to dress in the "suggested" attire. Just some food for thought as there were more than a few other folks in the same position as us on that cruise and we were told at the pursers desk that this happens to some people every cruise.

Now, can we all just try to get along? :D

A person with manners would assume that another person in the dining room in blue jeans had a good reason - such as missing luggage. Likewise a person with manners would not wear blue jeans in the dining room unless they had a good reason - such as missing luggage.

Personally I feel if a person has so little manners as to try and dissect the dress code instead of understanding its plain intent and dressing appropriately, that's between them and their host (RCI). If the host is gracious enough to allow it, good manners also dictate that I don't interfere.

Well it took 4 days for RCI to respond to my email but they responded with the exact same email as they did to PAGA. It was even from the same customer service rep. My question was posed as follows.

There is a long standing debate on the cruise forums whether jeans are acceptable clothing during casual nights in the dining room. Does RCCL have an official statement or policy regarding jeans in the main dining room during casual evenings? I realize people aren't turned away but a comment on whether jeans are acceptable would be appreciated.

Dear Mr. Xxxxxxx,

Demin jeans are allowed in the dining room during casual attire evenings.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Pedro Curbelo

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-1VBOU3]

Why did i bother to post this? Because it appears this question may be routed to a specific individual. Can any of the other's who asked for a response tell me if the same individual responded to you as well?

A person with manners would assume that another person in the dining room in blue jeans had a good reason - such as missing luggage. Likewise a person with manners would not wear blue jeans in the dining room unless they had a good reason - such as missing luggage.

On my very first cruise I had one bag that didn't make it to the ship and it happened to be the one that I had a suit packed in. I was going to skip formal night but my cabin steward convinced me it would be OK to just go in a pair of slacks, white shirt and tie (no jacket). I'm glad I did and now wouldn't feel at all bad about doing the same (or even less dressy) if need be in the future.

jmo

-Monte

I can't believe this debate is still going on. I now feel that its time to take a different stand. In all fairness to the different ideas of overdressing or underdressing I've decided to follow RCI's motto to get out there and wear my tux, but skip wearing underwear. :D

Aubie

I can't believe this debate is still going on. I now feel that its time to take a different stand. In all fairness to the different ideas of overdressing or underdressing I've decided to follow RCI's motto to get out there and wear my tux, but skip wearing underwear. :D

Aubie

Exactly.:D That really cuts down on the packing.;)...As well as the worries about laundry. ;)

One is what "is allowed."

The other is what is appropriate.

I bring this up, because despite what RCCL may say is allowed, recommended, suggested, etc., very little is enforced with regard to dress code. I have read this thread with amusement, because on our last cruise on Explorer we consistently saw men and women in shorts in the dining room at dinner time.

I insisted that my young men wear khaki slacks and buttonup-up shirts on the casual nights, and we dressed up on formal night - suits for the men, formal dress for me.

So, when folks ask what will be allowed, the answer seems to be just about anything. When they ask (or care) what is appropriate, the guidelines that are on the RCCL website (and cut and pasted here regularly) seem clear enough.

Two very different questions.

The long arguments seem to arise when those who ask what is appropriate are told what is allowed, and when those who ask what is allowed are told

what is appropriate.

On the RCCL ships that we have been on, these have been two very different things.

One is what "is allowed."

The other is what is appropriate.

I bring this up, because despite what RCCL may say is allowed, recommended, suggested, etc., very little is enforced with regard to dress code. I have read this thread with amusement, because on our last cruise on Explorer we consistently saw men and women in shorts in the dining room at dinner time.

I insisted that my young men wear khaki slacks and buttonup-up shirts on the casual nights, and we dressed up on formal night - suits for the men, formal dress for me.

So, when folks ask what will be allowed, the answer seems to be just about anything. When they ask (or care) what is appropriate, the guidelines that are on the RCCL website (and cut and pasted here regularly) seem clear enough.

Two very different questions.

The long arguments seem to arise when those who ask what is appropriate are told what is allowed, and when those who ask what is allowed are told

what is appropriate.

On the RCCL ships that we have been on, these have been two very different things.

Great post!

Why is it that this RCI crap is posted constantly? It is meaningless BS. Example-smart casual is dead, gone, buried. This crap pulled from RCI's suggested attire is older than I am and bears little relationship to the Compass and the reality that is happening on ships. I truly wish people would stop pulling this junk from RCI's website and posting it as the be-all and end-all.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

AND

When you get your docs mailed to you, you will receive a spiral bound book. In this book you will find “Guest Vacation Documents”

Under CRUISE VACATION GUIDE

WHAT SHOULD I PACK?

Days on board are casual, and you’ll be most comfortable in sports clothes and resort wear. Shoes should be low healed for deck activities. Bring a few swimsuits (so you’ll always have a dry one).

Ashore, you’ll need comfortable walking shoes. For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire.

Casual: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

Formal: Cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men.

See tuxedo rental info on pages 21-23.

If you’re cruising to the Caribbean, Mexico or other warm weather destinations, bring a hat for protection from the sun. If your cruise vacation will take you to Alaska, Canada/New England or Northern Europe, be sure to pack a jacket and several sweaters. We recommend that you hand-carry all travel documents, medications and any personal items that will meet your needs until your luggage is delivered to your stateroom. Luggage delivery aboard may take a few hours.

EVENING ATTIRE

The following will help you plan your evening attire onboard the ship:

3-5 night cruises……….………….. 10-12 night cruises

One formal night……………….……….Two formal nights

All other nights are casual….…….Three smart casual nights

………………………………….…….…………All other nights are casual

6-9 night cruises………..……………13-15 night cruises

Two formal nights………………….……Three formal nights

One smart casual night……………...Four smart casual nights

All other nights are casual.…….….All other nights are casual

Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options each night.

Let's talk about what's really important and annoying...CHAIR HOGS!! :-)
Or Chair hogs...wearing jeans, while smoking, and not watching thier kids that ride the elevators, pushing every button, and bring illegal beverages to their stateroom... wrappd in their jeans in their carry-on

Lost luggage is indeed a problem. But the encouragement for you to ignore the dress code for formal night by the head waiter, room attendant or any other RCCL employee is disgusting. In fact, it is the root of the problem. RCCL needs to enforce the dress code not sabatoge it.

If the code was enforced this debate would go away. Lost luggage does not mean you have to go to bed without dinner. You can rent formal wear on the ship, eat in the Windjammer or order room service.

Archived