Final word from RCCL on Jeans-in-Dining-Room policy

PAGA

No, not me, no backpeddling. Jeans are still inappropriate in the dining room at dinner regardless of which night.

Then consider me inappropriate..lol

I wear jeans every night that isn't formal. I still wear a collared shirt, but I wear jeans with it. On formal nights I just wear slacks, a shirt, and tie.

I know you guys hate people like me, but its my vacation and my money. I see no reason why I can't wear what I want. On 5 cruises no one has ever said anything about it. I think RC plays both sides. They tell you guys what you want to hear, then they let us wear what we want anyway.

I wear jeans every night that isn't formal. I still wear a collared shirt, but I wear jeans with it. On formal nights I just wear slacks, a shirt, and tie.

I know you guys hate people like me, but its my vacation and my money. I see no reason why I can't wear what I want. On 5 cruises no one has ever said anything about it. I think RC plays both sides. They tell you guys what you want to hear, then they let us wear what we want anyway.

So you don't even wear a jacket on formal night?

You know, jeans during casual night is one thing, but not even wearing a jacket is just plain disrespectful to EVERYONE.

And no, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that people who share my views don't hate you just because you don't dress properly.

I understand it is up for interpretation to wear jeans on casual night, I still think it is wrong, but to not wear a jacket on formal night, to me that IS against the stated rules, not the suggested ones.

Your vacation, your money, well, you know I paid my money for a specified number of formal dinners, and you delibertely taking steps to not making formal is cheating me along with all the other passengers.

I have to ask, all the other people on the opposite side of me the last few days, do you at least think it is inappropriate to not wear a jacket on formal night?

I have to ask, all the other people on the opposite side of me the last few days, do you at least think it is inappropriate to not wear a jacket on formal night?

No, I don't think it is inappropriate. He is wearing a shirt and tie, and that is fine. I wouldn't do it, but to each his own. I don't understand how it is disrespectful. Disrespectful is calling you names. Not wearing something that you don't like.

And on a fun note...I bought a really nice Ted Baker suite last night. Can't wait to wear it on the cruise!!!! (yes, jacket and all)

No, I don't think it is inappropriate. He is wearing a shirt and tie, and that is fine. I wouldn't do it, but to each his own. I don't understand how it is disrespectful. Disrespectful is calling you names. Not wearing something that you don't like.

And on a fun note...I bought a really nice Ted Baker suite last night. Can't wait to wear it on the cruise!!!! (yes, jacket and all)

Ok what is a Ted Baker suite?....I know what a Ted Baxter suit is(let's see how many people know what that is)....

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Why is it that this RCI crap is posted constantly? It is meaningless BS. Example-smart casual is dead, gone, buried. This crap pulled from RCI's suggested attire is older than I am and bears little relationship to the Compass and the reality that is happening on ships. I truly wish people would stop pulling this junk from RCI's website and posting it as the be-all and end-all.

Why is it that this RCI crap is posted constantly? It is meaningless BS. Example-smart casual is dead, gone, buried. This crap pulled from RCI's suggested attire is older than I am and bears little relationship to the Compass and the reality that is happening on ships. I truly wish people would stop pulling this junk from RCI's website and posting it as the be-all and end-all.

Smart Casual is not dead, buried, gone. This is day 3 of the Enchantment cruise I took in NOVEMBER. As you can see, they clearly state, "smart casual".

The only people who think it's dead and gone, are those who choose not to follow what they are telling you, in the compass.

55063681-L.jpg

Smart Casual is not dead, buried, gone. This is day 3 of the Enchantment cruise I took in NOVEMBER. As you can see, they clearly state, "smart casual".

The only people who think it's dead and gone, are those who choose not to follow what they are telling you, in the compass.

55063681-L.jpg

On Voyager last March the Compass listed two choices for Smart Casual night- the usually ignored suggestion OR '50s garb, which included blue jeans.

As someone that has argued for jeans in all these threads, IMO jeans are not something that should be worn on formal night. Yes, I know RCI probably won't say anything to you but common sense says "Formal" doesn't mean jeans. Just because the host will allow it doesn't mean you should do it. Casual is just that, and IMO jeans fall into this category and RCI agrees.

On Voyager last March the Compass listed two choices for Smart Casual night- the usually ignored suggestion OR '50s garb, which included blue jeans.

I'm sure it's subject to change Bob, but you said it was dead and gone. Obviously, each ship/cruise has different criteria.

If people will just read their compass, they will see what is expected/suggested/required/requested(whatever word you choose) attire for any given night.

Smart Casual is nothing more than maybe a sequin/dressy top and slacks/skirt, pantsuit, or cocktail dress for women, and DRESS slacks for men, with a tie, dress shirt, and jacket if they like. Nothing complicated about it.

The problem is that people try to dissect what it means. It is what it is. I don't consider jeans, as slacks, therefore, I do not try to squeeze them into the smart casual nights. I haven't even worn them on casual night, but, they are allowed on casual night.

Most people do follow the suggested dress, but there will be a small percentage who do not, for whatever reason.

As I said earlier, I don't care what people wear anymore, but to say that something is "gone" when it is not, will draw a response from me, for the purpose of correcting inaccurate information.:)

Now.. THAT'S funny.

Yes, it is!!!

I have been lurking on this thread and the past thread from the beginning. It really amazes me how some people think they can change everyone else into agreeing with them! ad nauseum!!!!!!!!!

I teach in a middle school and see this kind of behavior out of those students. We are adults.

If I were a newbie to this board, I tell you, I would NOT come back!

Come on folks! Enough is enough. Agree to disagree! Let this thread die! (If it were back a couple of pages, I wouldn't have posted this.)

Have a great cruise.

Be kind.

Archived