Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 40

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 30 and Sunday, October 6.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

On 10/3/2019 at 3:38 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

As summer winds down, our apple tree produced a ton of apples.  Sadly the birds and squirrels have poked holes in them so we can't eat them.

I would suggest covering the tree in aviary netting...or getting a blowgun. Both are about $30 on Amazon.

🙂

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, pierces said:

I would suggest covering the tree in aviary netting...or getting a blowgun. Both are about $30 on Amazon.

🙂

Dave

We did that 40+ years ago when the tree was small.  Now it is over 20 feet tall and hangs mostly in the neighbor's yard.  They love our tree and keep hoping to get some decent apples.  Won't happen.  We are way too old to deal with nets, etc.

Not the best week for photography. Sprinklers needed fixing and measurements and design for the next project took up the free time left over from the  life vacuum that is Borderlands 3. I think the giddy newness is over now and responsible time management will be the rule of the day. What I am left with this week is an honest-to-goodness crappy snapshot of the grandkids’ carved Ninjago and Malificent pumpkins. No worries about melting into a puddle of rotten gourd before Halloween. They are 100% non-organic plastic foam. I imagine they could be recycled but since they would probably just make straws out of the plastic, we’ll just toss them when the holiday is over.

Plastic Fantastic

p3639998524-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Looks like we're in a new week. 

I've been following a couple threads about hand washing and disinfecting. Almost makes me want to pack my own meals to take onboard! 

In the spirit of hygienic food, and since we were in Chinatown again, I thought I'd snap a photo of our favorite curry spot.

curry-spot.jpg

Edited by Curt1591

Finally got around to loading my weekend wetlands shots to my computer, so here's my Saturday selection:

Ruby-throated hummingbird:

original.jpg

Red-eyed vireo:

original.jpg

Blue-winged teal:

original.jpg

Colorful blue dasher dragonfly:

original.jpg

Red-bellied woodpecker:

original.jpg

Ruby-throated hummingbird sitting still for a change:

original.jpg

• Like 3

Assuming you are asking about the wetlands photos, I live in South Florida, and these were shot at a local wetlands reserve called Green Cay Wetlands, in Boynton Beach, FL.  There are two wetlands within a mile of each other which are my two 'local' spots, being about 10 miles from my house.  The other one is called Wakodahatchee Wetlands...I often hit both spots in the same afternoon since they are so close.

23 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

Assuming you are asking about the wetlands photos, I live in South Florida, and these were shot at a local wetlands reserve called Green Cay Wetlands, in Boynton Beach, FL.  There are two wetlands within a mile of each other which are my two 'local' spots, being about 10 miles from my house.  The other one is called Wakodahatchee Wetlands...I often hit both spots in the same afternoon since they are so close.

Thanks , were the hummingbirds there as well ? We live in The Acreage about 45 minutes from there and our son and DIL live in Boca .

Yes - all of the birds and animals were in that spot.  The hummingbirds are typically near the entrance of the wetlands - from the parking lot, you walk through about 150 feet of pine forest to get to the main building, then there's a boardwalk that circles about 1 1/2 miles around the water and islands.  It's that first 150 feet where the hummingbirds are most likely to be found.  There's no hummingbird feeders or anything - just those plants there that they seem to like.  You often hear them chattering before you actually see them.

Migration has been kicking in there pretty good the past few weeks...lots of species in the trees - vireos, warblers, redstarts, painted buntings, etc.  The wetlands birds are a little slower to arrive so far as it's been so hot, but already the blue-winged teal ducks are there, and snowy egrets, wood storks, and various herons and egrets have started to gather a little more.

One warning though:  They are closing Green Cay sometime in the first few weeks of November, for a project to replace the Nature Center's roof and the boardwalks - it is expected to be down for a few months at least.  So either go before early November, or you'll have to wait until probably late January or early February.

4 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

One warning though:  They are closing Green Cay sometime in the first few weeks of November, for a project to replace the Nature Center's roof and the boardwalks - it is expected to be down for a few months at least.  So either go before early November, or you'll have to wait until probably late January or early February.

Thanks , we'll probably wait for the cooler weather and the reopening .

On 10/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, zackiedawg said:

Thanks for the update Justin.  Of course I already booked a non-refundable hotel for my December trip.  Oh, well, I guess I'll have to come back in February.

I'll go to Wakodahotchee.  Where else is a good spot in the area?  I'll be staying on Singer Island for two days after being around Sanibel for a little over two days.