New Zealand NZeTA

New Zealand now, as of Sept. 15, 2019, requires a NZeTA , electronic Travel Authority, for citizens from VISA waiver countries.

Please go to the government site to request your NZeTA

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/visit

A friend we are traveling with directed us to a non government site to request our NZeTA.

Although we did get the NZeTA it cost about twice what it should have.

Either way the application is approved and your NZeTA will be emailed to you in 1 to 3 days.

It must be working . It has been reported that since it came into force on Oct  1 , only a few days ago , there have been 85 people refused entry before they left, and who would otherwise have been turned away at the border on arrival .

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It must be working . It has been reported that since it came into force on Oct  1 , only a few days ago , there have been 85 people refused entry before they left, and who would otherwise have been turned away at the border on arrival .

Great that it is working well.

I think I'm one of those that inadvertently used the wrong site...could swear I went to the direct site but when I went to my credit card account expecting to see a charge of $47NZ ($12 for eTA and $35 for the tourism levy) I noticed I was charged $61US!!! That came out to over $90 Cdn.  Times two for both mine and my spouse.  The main page clearly stated eta for Canadian visitors and all  my info entered  re passport and address clearly is Canada but there's the $US charge which is still way more than it should be.  I did enter a complaint on the eta site but who knows what'll happen there.  I've read all the previous advice to make sure you're on the correct site and I was sure I was but there you go!  No problems whatsoever with the Aus application.

Will never affect my trip however just want to let everyone know to make double sure where you're applying!

3 minutes ago, Bpos said:

Do Aussies need to get a 'visa" now,  Am going there on a cruise in Nov, no one has raised this with us?

If you are an Australian citizen, no. If an Australian resident, yes. ie if you hold or are eligible for an Australian passport, you will not need a NZeTA. If you live in Australia and have a passport of another country other than NZ, you will need a NZeTA.

Leigh

If you're an Australian citizen you'd want to travel under that passport, otherwise you'd need an ETA if travelling on another passport. At time of entry you're not a dual citizen, but a citizen of whichever passport is presented.

Who does not need an NZeTA

You do not need an NZeTA if you:

• are a New Zealand citizen travelling on:
    • a New Zealand passport, or
    • a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement
  • are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
  • hold a valid visa for New Zealand — including a Permanent Resident Visa.

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

If you are an Australian citizen, no. If an Australian resident, yes. ie if you hold or are eligible for an Australian passport, you will not need a NZeTA. If you live in Australia and have a passport of another country other than NZ, you will need a NZeTA.

Leigh

Thanks

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it is very unscrupulous by these operators who mimic the official sites, will I think it is ethically wrong, it is not actually illegal as they are offering a service (conveyance) for a fee, albeit by deception.  

The university had a contracted TA company for all our bookings. 

The He dean and I were going to a conference in Chicago. I already had an electronic visa, sweet.

The dean told me the contracted TA had organised hers for some price, nice. Except she and her husband had been to the US to visit family about 6 months prior. She still had a valid electronic visa from that trip.

Could not get a refund from the TA, who no longer has the contract.

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Who does not need an NZeTA

You do not need an NZeTA if you:

• are a New Zealand citizen travelling on:
    • a New Zealand passport, or
    • a foreign passport that has a New Zealand citizen endorsement
  • are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
  • hold a valid visa for New Zealand — including a Permanent Resident Visa.

Exactly, hence why you'd want to travel on the Australian passport if you hold one.