Solo in Luminae - your experience or observations?

SempreMare

I'll be cruising solo next year on the Apex in a sky suite, 11200, right behind the aft elevators, starboard side.

What is dining solo in Luminae like?   Is it possible to be seated with other solo cruisers?     Or is that not done in Luminae.

I have only cruised solo in a suite on the S class ships. I doubt that the environment in Luminae has changed on Apex. I have always been treated fabulously by the staff in Luminae. There is one table in Luminae on the S class ships that is not particularly desirable if you are a couple. One seat faces directly into the kitchen/service area. I loved it as I sat on the soft bench and looked at the entire outer dining area. Had I had someone across from me, he/she would have looked into the service area. The hostess and maitre’d loved me for sitting ther.e. Almost always, I was able to speak with guests at nearby tables. To my knowledge, there is no solo table in Luminae. It is rare for solos in suites, but not unheard of.

You will have access to Michael’s Club/Retreat Lounge. If you go there regularly, you will get to know other suite passengers. You may well be invited to dine with them. It has happened to me on a number of occasion.

Regardless, you will be treated very well by the staff in Luminae. They will not ignore you and you will not dine in silence.

• Thanks 1

I dined in Luminae solo on a med cruise. I never asked to be seated with someone else but I was lucky enough to be seated by a few people who would converse with me. The tables were very close together so it almost felt like we were at a table of four. By mid cruise I was joining a different group every night for dinner.

I almost felt like Norm from Cheers when I would walk in. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrismakris said:

I dined in Luminae solo on a med cruise. I never asked to be seated with someone else but I was lucky enough to be seated by a few people who would converse with me. The tables were very close together so it almost felt like we were at a table of four. By mid cruise I was joining a different group every night for dinner.

I almost felt like Norm from Cheers when I would walk in. 

THIS!

• Like 1

I've never cruised solo but have often been seated across from a solo cruiser in many restaurants including Luminae and Muranos.  We usually attempt conversation with those seated next to us, whether solo or a couple.  Up to them to decide to talk to us.  If not, we are not put off.  As others said, not too many cruises sail solo in a suite so you may not have the opportunity to be seated at the same table with some one, but the tables are close together.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

I have not traveled solo in a suite (although I have traveled solo several times), but I have gone to Luminae alone for breakfast when my DH was off on an early excursion. The service was very attentive on those occasions, and I wouldn't hesitate to go alone for other meals.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Thanks 1

I have traveled solo in suites on M class and have eaten solo in Luminae.  The staff goes out of their way to be attentive and other tables are close enough that you can converse with other folks.  My experience was that the waitstaff served you very promptly so that you weren’t lingering too long between courses, which I appreciated.

• Like 1

In our most recent cruise, there were two different people traveling solo, one in a Celebrity suite and another in a Royal suite. We chatted with both of them when they were seated beside us, and I noticed that they engaged in conversation with others throughout the cruise as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I have not traveled solo in a suite (although I have traveled solo several times), but I have gone to Luminae alone for breakfast when my DH was off on an early excursion. The service was very attentive on those occasions, and I wouldn't hesitate to go alone for other meals.

We have dined alone for breakfast or lunch in Luminae as well. We were treated like royalty by the staff and other guests were great about chatting. I have found M Class, S Class and Edge Class Luminae set ups to be amenable to conversing with others, although one can have privacy if preferred (similar in Blu, except more space in Luminae).

• Like 1