Friends of Dorothy

mlewing

Last November there were things in the daily paper, but they were not well attended. There was a reason, there was a pied piper group on board with about 700 LBGT guests, so it was a FOD every minute of every day!  I do no tbelieve they called them FOD, I think they were a GLBT Gathering in the daily. 

I also know that the John Heath GLBT group cruises will be on the Equinox the week after thanksgiving and there will be a lot of GLBT on that sailing as well. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:59 PM, mlewing said:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any FOD gatherings on the Celebrity Equinox?

Thanks

I don't think FOD is used any more by ANY line! The Eclipse used to have a LGBT meeting on the activity board near guest services. It was NEVER in the daily news sheet. The meetings were always poorly attended. I mean Cunard was loud & proud & posted it daily in the paper. You'd think Celebrity, which kind of "brags" how Gay supportive they are, could do better. We did 2 cruises on Oceania & they are pretty awful about posting it as well. We still saw plenty of family on board, however.

We have previously attended GLBT get togethers on X which used to be listed in the daily planners. The problem is that they are often held at The martini bar at 7.00 or 7.30pm when the martini bar is really busy so it is difficult to know who is there for the get together and who isn’t.  

Princess handle this much better as it is usually held in the Wheelhouse Bar at 5.00pm which is a quiet venue and time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes, the do have GLBT get togethers.  The first one is usually listed in the daily and then just posted on the board by Guest Services for the rest of the days.  The issue for is is that they always have the meetings at about 7:00- 7:30 during the time we are having dinner.  Also, as stated bove, they are usually at the Martini Bar, and sometimes our gaydar is not working correctly 🙂

On 10/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, keithm said:

I don't think FOD is used any more by ANY line! The Eclipse used to have a LGBT meeting on the activity board near guest services. It was NEVER in the daily news sheet. The meetings were always poorly attended. I mean Cunard was loud & proud & posted it daily in the paper. You'd think Celebrity, which kind of "brags" how Gay supportive they are, could do better. We did 2 cruises on Oceania & they are pretty awful about posting it as well. We still saw plenty of family on board, however.

We were on a cruise on the Summit October 2018 and if I remember correctly, the LGBT get together was published in the daily schedule. (It may have been in theschedule only on the first or second night but it was so well attended that the Martini Bar became the gay bar every night).

There also was a LGBT brunch in the dining room on one oh the sea days.

Edited by Boytjie

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, Boytjie said:

We were on a cruise on the Summit October 2018 and if I remember correctly, the LGBT get together was published in the daily schedule. (It may have been in theschedule only on the first or second night but it was so well attended that the Martini Bar became the gay bar every night).

There also was a LGBT brunch in the dining room on one oh the sea days.

Do people tend to mingle at an LGBT brunch?  I imagine lots of tables with people sitting and eating eggs benedict.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 3:43 PM, zitsky said:

Do people tend to mingle at an LGBT brunch?  I imagine lots of tables with people sitting and eating eggs benedict.

On our cruise it was very social.

The Martini Bar was the gay bar every night so there was a big group that got to know each other by the time the brunch took place but there were also many other people that were not frequenting the Martini Bar every night.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'll be travelling with a friend who is gay on a Carnival Cruise in Dec 2022.  I typically travel with friends or my kids, but this is his first cruise I want to ensure he has a good time and has the opportunity to meet members of his community.  Are there daily LGBTQ meetings on Carnival?  Any advice would be appreciated 🙂