Christmas and New Year - anything special?

geospyder

We have been on a VO cruise for NY twice.  NYE was apparently quite festive with drinks, music, and a balloon drop in the atrium area ... I say “apparently “ as I was sound asleep both times. They had a lovely ... and quite elaborate ... buffet style brunch on New Year’s Day.  THAT I was awake for!  

Don’t know about Christmas ... but will be on the Star on the 24th and 25th this year.  Both will be sea days so wonder if there will be some festivities 🥳 

Edited by molymoo
  • Like 2

We were on the Viking Sea for Easter and that, too, included large Easter displays of chocolate, special brunch, and a beautiful non-denominational service in the theater. The cruise director conducted the service and a cruise passenger who was a pastor gave a message. It was all quite beautiful. 

We will be in Sydney on Christmas, boarding Orion on Dec. 27, so will experience NYE. I expect we, too, will have special events. I’ll try and stay awake and experience a little of the celebration that night and certainly the next day. It’s our anniversary on Jan. 1, so worth a celebration 🎉

DA13FEB8-6FC2-404A-96BB-3BFE86692F4E.jpeg

We were on the Orion for NYE from Auckland to Sydney at the beginning of this year.  The NYE party on the pool desk was great.  The band was really good and lively and many people were dancing.  They had ice statues of 2 0 1 8.  At midnight, they threw the 8 in the pool and replaced it with an ice 9.  It was a lot of fun and went to 1:00 am from what I recall.  We had so much fun we are doing NYE this year on the Sky round trip Miami!

We were not on for Christmas, but the Christmas decorations were still up.  They were standard and nice, but nothing extravagant or over the top.

Edited by imcpa

3 hours ago, imcpa said:

We were on the Orion for NYE from Auckland to Sydney at the beginning of this year.  The NYE party on the pool desk was great.  The band was really good and lively and many people were dancing.  They had ice statues of 2 0 1 8.  At midnight, they threw the 8 in the pool and replaced it with an ice 9.  It was a lot of fun and went to 1:00 am from what I recall.  We had so much fun we are doing NYE this year on the Sky round trip Miami!

We were not on for Christmas, but the Christmas decorations were still up.  They were standard and nice, but nothing extravagant or over the top.

The party was only till 1am?!!!

How about Tarshavn? 

On 10/18/2019 at 6:39 AM, molymoo said:

We have been on a VO cruise for NY twice.  NYE was apparently quite festive with drinks, music, and a balloon drop in the atrium area ... I say “apparently “ as I was sound asleep both times. They had a lovely ... and quite elaborate ... buffet style brunch on New Year’s Day.  THAT I was awake for!  

Meanwhile, we were up partying!

We have now down three NYE with Viking. The first two, there was one big party in the Atrium. Champagne at midnight for everyone. Dancing, etc. However, last year, they doubled down and added a separate party at the Pool/Wintergarden with a video link to the Atrium at the pool--much more room for dancing! PLUS, they added a sumptuous buffet brunch at the pool for New Year's Day --especially good since Naples slept until about noon that day. Sorry I am going to miss it this year because I swear that the Chef and his crew worked all night cooking and preparing.

We were in the Mediterranean on the Sky last Christmas. The Christmas dinner served in the dining room was the worst food of the entire cruise. First time we have ever not been at home at Christmas. Really disappointing. None of the traditional accompaniments we would have in the UK. Needless to say we’ll be cooking our own Christmas dinner this year. Cruise was great otherwise with various special Christmas touches. 

On 10/22/2019 at 2:29 AM, Geoffa30 said:

We were in the Mediterranean on the Sky last Christmas. The Christmas dinner served in the dining room was the worst food of the entire cruise. First time we have ever not been at home at Christmas. Really disappointing. None of the traditional accompaniments we would have in the UK. Needless to say we’ll be cooking our own Christmas dinner this year. Cruise was great otherwise with various special Christmas touches. 

Can you possibly recall the Sky's Christmas menu?