Noisy Cabin - Final Night

Brisbane41

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Exactly. Strike 1 is easy to forget but strike 2 and then its a complaint for everything.

I would have also! Not because of what he did but because he did not want to come fix the problem the guest had! I have heard that banging in the middle of the night no way to sleep. Called guest services they sent a gentleman that locked that door! Besides the fact that you had that cabin until 8:00 AM!

Edited by Reader0108598

On 10/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, Brisbane41 said:

Just putting it up here but after a brilliant cruise on the Majestic Princess just this week in a forward facing mini-suite on a cruise that I could not fault at all.

Along comes the last night...

After packing my bags I neatly place all the coat-hangers on the floor of the cupboard (note that in the mini suites all cupboards have doors so are closed and you cant see in), I then leave the cabin for the final evening. (The coat-hangers were placed on the floor to avoid the repetitive banging noise through the night on a moving ship. I always do this and replace them in the morning).

After a good night out I return to my cabin to find that the steward has decided to invade my privacy by opening the cupboard doors and upon finding the coat-hangers neatly on the ground he then replaces them on the racks and hence making the cabin noisy on a moving ship with the rattling and banging as they swing and move with the movement. It would take an incredible lack of common sense not to know the reason they were placed on the floor. I normally inform the stewards to leave them on the floor and I will replace them myself in the morning. Unfortunately I forgot to do this but even still the lack of common sense and invasion of privacy is concerning.

To compound the stewards thoughtlessness he then decided to reset most of the cabin for the future occupants. This involved opening the balcony divider as the mini-suite was to be connected to the next suite as it was a family or group needing both that requested the balcony divider be open. What concerned me was this daft steward decided to open the partition while I was at dinner and leave it open. This particular night the ship was heading into heavy winds. The ferries in Sydney were cancelled that morning due to high winds. What happened was that the hook could not hold the partition door and the winds got hold of it and when I returned to the room it was swinging violently bashing and banging on the mini-suite wall making an intense drumming sound.

By then I had pretty much lost my temper as I could not sleep with that kind of noise. I knew from the entire cruise that the balcony partition was closed. I then went down to reception and told them what had happened and asked that the balcony secured immediately as I needed to sleep. The reception agreed and telephoned the steward waking him up and asked him to go up and lock it closed. He did not want to do it and said that he opened it in preparation for the new guests in the morning and to save time. To cut the long story short he was then ordered to go to my cabin instantly and rectify the situation and told to go onto the balcony and close and lock the partition.

Finally problem solved. I did then write up a formal complaint about him as I was pretty annoyed that late at night. It is incredibly bold to try and reset a cabin on the last night of the cruise to such an extent that it feels like you are being pushed out of the cabin. The coat-hangers I probably could have overlooked but that balcony partition really set me off as I had to get re-dressed and go back down to reception to deal with so I put complaints in for both.

It is a shame it had to happen as overall the entire experience was awesome apart from this one small incident on the last night which all comes down to a lack of common sense.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:09 AM, Brisbane41 said:

Just putting it up here but after a brilliant cruise on the Majestic Princess just this week in a forward facing mini-suite on a cruise that I could not fault at all.

Along comes the last night...

After packing my bags I neatly place all the coat-hangers on the floor of the cupboard (note that in the mini suites all cupboards have doors so are closed and you cant see in), I then leave the cabin for the final evening. (The coat-hangers were placed on the floor to avoid the repetitive banging noise through the night on a moving ship. I always do this and replace them in the morning).

After a good night out I return to my cabin to find that the steward has decided to invade my privacy by opening the cupboard doors and upon finding the coat-hangers neatly on the ground he then replaces them on the racks and hence making the cabin noisy on a moving ship with the rattling and banging as they swing and move with the movement. It would take an incredible lack of common sense not to know the reason they were placed on the floor. I normally inform the stewards to leave them on the floor and I will replace them myself in the morning. Unfortunately I forgot to do this but even still the lack of common sense and invasion of privacy is concerning.

To compound the stewards thoughtlessness he then decided to reset most of the cabin for the future occupants. This involved opening the balcony divider as the mini-suite was to be connected to the next suite as it was a family or group needing both that requested the balcony divider be open. What concerned me was this daft steward decided to open the partition while I was at dinner and leave it open. This particular night the ship was heading into heavy winds. The ferries in Sydney were cancelled that morning due to high winds. What happened was that the hook could not hold the partition door and the winds got hold of it and when I returned to the room it was swinging violently bashing and banging on the mini-suite wall making an intense drumming sound.

By then I had pretty much lost my temper as I could not sleep with that kind of noise. I knew from the entire cruise that the balcony partition was closed. I then went down to reception and told them what had happened and asked that the balcony secured immediately as I needed to sleep. The reception agreed and telephoned the steward waking him up and asked him to go up and lock it closed. He did not want to do it and said that he opened it in preparation for the new guests in the morning and to save time. To cut the long story short he was then ordered to go to my cabin instantly and rectify the situation and told to go onto the balcony and close and lock the partition.

Finally problem solved. I did then write up a formal complaint about him as I was pretty annoyed that late at night. It is incredibly bold to try and reset a cabin on the last night of the cruise to such an extent that it feels like you are being pushed out of the cabin. The coat-hangers I probably could have overlooked but that balcony partition really set me off as I had to get re-dressed and go back down to reception to deal with so I put complaints in for both.

It is a shame it had to happen as overall the entire experience was awesome apart from this one small incident on the last night which all comes down to a lack of common sense.

Hi Bris41

I was on your cruise forward starboard corner CC mini L107. Our steward was Noel as in Christmas and he was excellent 

I would suggest that the last night (last Thursday ) there was very little movement detected up front on Majestic (I went to bed late) and puzzled re coat hanger rattles. Although they were empty as were ours. Reckon to just tie them up next time was a good idea

We communicate well with cabin staff and can’t imagine how opening a balcony divider on the last night would save the steward any real time on the following reset day. Are you sure it wasn’t opened by neighbours ?

Just doesn’t seem to be any advantage in time to the steward when they have to check the balcony when you vacate anyway.

Got me ol’mate

It would have been a security issue also if you didn't have the door latched.  Even if you had, the people in the other cabin could have looked into your cabin if the drapes weren't completely closed.  That was not appropriate!  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Hi Bris41

I was on your cruise forward starboard corner CC mini L107. Our steward was Noel as in Christmas and he was excellent 

I would suggest that the last night (last Thursday ) there was very little movement detected up front on Majestic (I went to bed late) and puzzled re coat hanger rattles. Although they were empty as were ours. Reckon to just tie them up next time was a good idea

We communicate well with cabin staff and can’t imagine how opening a balcony divider on the last night would save the steward any real time on the following reset day. Are you sure it wasn’t opened by neighbours ?

Just doesn’t seem to be any advantage in time to the steward when they have to check the balcony when you vacate anyway.

Got me ol’mate

Look I have had 20 years experience at sea and know about noise problems and how to solve them. There was movement and wind that night and just because you deem that conditions may not warrant securing something does not mean that the conditions will change later. For example berthing in the morning could produce vibrations that send out rattling noises, entering the harbour heads or turning against the swell could cause movement and noise. I suppose you missed the news reports of the Manly Ferry being suspended that morning due to high winds.

It all comes down to experience, perception and dealing with noise risks before they arise.

The coat hangers were not on the line for a reason and that was a preventative measure, yes there was enough movement that night for them to be heard and noticed when I returned to the cabin. So even then that movement may not have existed at the time you returned.

Like I said 20 years experience of being at sea.

As for the balcony divider noise then here is a 10 second video of the outside and inside. Perhaps you should try getting to sleep with a noise like that. This sort of thing is a privacy and security issue as well as a ships integrity issue. Movement like this could damage the structure of the balcony divider and cost the cruise line money in maintenance in addition to the previously mentioned security and privacy issues.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Hi Bris41

Got me ol’mate

Re the divider it is a security issue as it requires a special key to unlock the divider. Passengers cannot do this as it would enable them to rob other cabins at sea. Therefore only the stewards and maintenance have the key to open the divider so it definitely was not the other passengers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Re the divider it is a security issue as it requires a special key to unlock the divider. Passengers cannot do this as it would enable them to rob other cabins at sea. Therefore only the stewards and maintenance have the key to open the divider so it definitely was not the other passengers.

Well maybe .... It's about a 1/4" or 3/8" square drive - one can open them with the plier jaws of a leatherman - always in the kit.  We also travel with several bungee cords to keep such doors and other gear from crashing about.

I hold that you were totally justified in the way you handled these issues.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with the comments that having the balcony divider door open on the last night was a security and privacy issue. I also wouldn't have been able to sleep with the banging from the door.

Hi there Aus Traveller

Couldnt agree more about sleeping with that racket going on. I think a polite call to the service desk would have resecured the partition regardless of how it came loose.

In the meantime in consideration for affected neighbours it would probably be a good idea to prevent it from banging while waiting. Even use a towel to tie the damn thing up.

I will take a tip from our experienced cruiser and secure empty coat hangers on the last cruise night just in case the racket becomes unbearable. Hate to live on a busy street or a railway line with no one to complain to - sure puts coat hangers to shame. I love the swell roll coming through Sydney heads which is when the coat hangers are at their worst. Use this as the best alarm clock in the world and get up and be inspired by the best harbour in the world at its best with or without the ferries.

Not ever going to apologise for my glass being half full.

The little mishaps are funny stories to share later in my book.

Happy cruising to all

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Hi there Aus Traveller

Couldnt agree more about sleeping with that racket going on. I think a polite call to the service desk would have resecured the partition regardless of how it came loose.

In the meantime in consideration for affected neighbours it would probably be a good idea to prevent it from banging while waiting. Even use a towel to tie the damn thing up.

I will take a tip from our experienced cruiser and secure empty coat hangers on the last cruise night just in case the racket becomes unbearable. Hate to live on a busy street or a railway line with no one to complain to - sure puts coat hangers to shame. I love the swell roll coming through Sydney heads which is when the coat hangers are at their worst. Use this as the best alarm clock in the world and get up and be inspired by the best harbour in the world at its best with or without the ferries.

Not ever going to apologise for my glass being half full.

The little mishaps are funny stories to share later in my book.

Happy cruising to all

Here is the problems you propose.

1. As a mere passenger it is inappropriate to attempt to fix or touch the balcony divider. It is a security issue between two cabins. It would be irresponsible to touch it and leave yourself open to accusations or even do something wrong like using a ships towel that could potentially be damaged or torn resulting in a breach of the carriage conditions as per the booking. Suggesting to secure it with ships property and if that property gets damaged makes you personally liable. A couple has recently been banned for life from Royal Caribbean for standing on the wrong side of a guard rail. If something goes wrong don't by a busy body and try to fix it yourself, report it. You cannot get in trouble for reporting but you can get in trouble if you step over the line of what is expected from a passenger.

2. A polite call would have taken longer on the last night. At least being suite/elite I was able to go to front of the line.

3. As previously stated I was told the steward had opened it in preparation for future guests arriving the next day. 

Ok if you are afraid to use a towel because of massive repercussions for potentially breaching your cruise contract try using your initiative instead.

i gave our steward a glowing report which should easily cancel out your rant and a well earned $50. 

I think I will be pampered in January on my next Majestic voyage

Perhaps I should ask him for his version of events and show him yours.

I too am suite/elite but I am very different to some

Happy cruising

2 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

Ok if you are afraid to use a towel because of massive repercussions for potentially breaching your cruise contract try using your initiative instead.

i gave our steward a glowing report which should easily cancel out your rant and a well earned $50. 

I think I will be pampered in January on my next Majestic voyage

Perhaps I should ask him for his version of events and show him yours.

I too am suite/elite but I am very different to some

Happy cruising

It wouldn't matter what sort of report you gave the steward. If he gets the majority of his reports in the negative then he is no longer offered contracts. What kind of report you or myself gave him is an irrelevancy and will not make a difference in the scheme of things. The cruise line looks at the big numbers not the little ones.

It has nothing to do with initiative. It is common sense. The ship was going into the wind and the balcony door was swinging in the wind, it was dark, combine that with alcohol and it is unwise to even touch the thing on a moving ship. Leave it to the crew to sort out. 

I don't know what kind of person you are but if you had paid attention from the beginning you would have noted that the whole cruise was excellent and could not be faulted bare that last night and the audacity of the steward to overstep the mark and dare to do the things he did in my cabin on the final night. No reasonable human being could sleep with that balcony door banging on the side of the wall. Going to reception was no different to a phone call. It had the desired result. At least going to reception made the action faster than a phone call.

I do not know where you are getting the $50 from. I make a point when I make a formal complaint to put a disclaimer that I am not seeking financial compensation in any way shape of form and am only seeking the situation be rectified.

• Haha 1

If you were a little worse for wear  that night then perhaps you imagined the whole thing

Maybe next time you take your hangers down just before you go to bed after the steward has checked the laundry bag off his list of things to do. Then there is no chance they will be audaciously rehung and this will never happen again

He needs access to your wardrobe and just because the Minis have a door on them is irrelevant and in no way a privacy issue. 

Although you state you were told the partion was opened in readiness for the next day I can’t believe that was necessary  or remotely likely that it was or that they would tell you that either. It would be on the morning instructions.

i reckon the catch worked loose over time

Now I really know that a polite phone call to the desk to have it relatched was equally unlikely as a personal confrontation is so much more effective and so satisfying 

The $50 was the tip I gave to our steward.

It seems that if you always put in a disclaimer before making a formal complaint then you are probably listed as a serial complainant

Finally should our audacious steward take care of us as well in January I will give him another glowing report (that’s two good ones to your bad one) - it’s the big picture in action

May his career be long and prosperous 

Well it’s been a lot of fun keeping this thread alive and thank you for such a fertile entertaining post to begin with but enough is enough.

Hope to have a beer with you one day so we can take up where we left off !

cheers 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterpatter said:

If you were a little worse for wear  that night then perhaps you imagined the whole thing

Maybe next time you take your hangers down just before you go to bed after the steward has checked the laundry bag off his list of things to do. Then there is no chance they will be audaciously rehung and this will never happen again

He needs access to your wardrobe and just because the Minis have a door on them is irrelevant and in no way a privacy issue. 

Although you state you were told the partion was opened in readiness for the next day I can’t believe that was necessary  or remotely likely that it was or that they would tell you that either. It would be on the morning instructions.

i reckon the catch worked loose over time

Now I really know that a polite phone call to the desk to have it relatched was equally unlikely as a personal confrontation is so much more effective and so satisfying 

The $50 was the tip I gave to our steward.

It seems that if you always put in a disclaimer before making a formal complaint then you are probably listed as a serial complainant

Finally should our audacious steward take care of us as well in January I will give him another glowing report (that’s two good ones to your bad one) - it’s the big picture in action

May his career be long and prosperous 

Well it’s been a lot of fun keeping this thread alive and thank you for such a fertile entertaining post to begin with but enough is enough.

Hope to have a beer with you one day so we can take up where we left off !

cheers 

You seem hell bent on defending this steward don't you.

You forget the facts here.

1. I own and paid for use of that cabin until I disembark. The steward has absolutely no right to access the cupboards, drawers, shelves or even touch anything where a passenger is likely to have their items until they disembark. (returning laundry is an exception).

2. I told them at reception the partition was open and wanted it closed. When reception paged the steward they asked him why it was open and he told them why he opened it. He did not want to go up to close it and was ordered to do so immediately.

3. Your glowing report won't do any good. He is already off the ship. I booked my cruise through a Princess holiday planner and contacted them directly and cancelled a January cruise. His performance was already below par and they agreed it was a privacy issue and was out of line to do the things he did. He is either going next turn-around port or is already gone if that has happened.

I know what your logic is. You think it is the same cabin steward. I have not mentioned what deck I was on with the two forward facing decks above the bridge. You are trying to defend this man in any way shape or form and justify the fact that he did things he should not be doing.

I hope that on your next cruise perhaps it would be totally awesome if on the last night the steward decided to separate (or join) your beds (whatever is the opposite of your preference) in anticipation for the future guests, make up the beds and tell you to sleep on the floor just so he can have the cabin ready for the future guests. Also I hope he refreshes the bathroom and locks the door so you cannot access it so that it is all nice and clean for the future guests. That way the steward can have a good lay down on turn-around day at your expense.

• Haha 1

On last sea day prior to disembarking day, I have room steward service room in am. We normally do only once a day at dinner if at all( mini suites and wife has some medical problems). Then put up the Do Not Disturb sign and with the relationship we've established with Steward have never had a problem. Regardless of tipping arguments, little Aloha goes along way.

• Like 1