Azamara Newbies

Qtypie617

Hello all,

My husband and I just booked our first Azamara cruise on the Pursuit for Dec 9th, 2020 from Singapore for his birthday on the 12th and our 20th anniversary on the 18th.  We splurged fot the Club Continent suite with shower.  We have sailed Celebrity several times recently and Royal a few in the past.  We love the itinerary as I get to go back to Bali to see “family” and finally get to see Australia.  I find that information is hard to locate because such small ships and passenger count.  We plan on upgrading to ultimate beverage package, me for Patron and better wine and him for Scotch and better wine.  For a complete Azamara newbie like me, but not new to Celebrity, what do I need to know?  We plan on picking out specialty restaurants and making reservations as soon as we embark.  Is the main dining room worth a few visits?  Does that menu change nightly?  Can’t find much on The Patio for dinner, is it a nice setting?  We aren’t into shows and such but do like to find like minded people to share good conversation and have a great time.  Looking to hear thoughts.

Thanks all!

Just now, laurieb said:

Be sure to read the thread above, Azamara for newbies; tons of helpful information 

Thak you.  I have managed to read all that.  Just introducing and if anyone was ever as new as we were that had advice.  We are excited yet unsure of the unknown.  Always have departed from the states, never international.  We are not international travel newbies though!

Discoveries restaurant (main dining room) is excellent. The menu does indeed change daily, although it also has some ‘standard’ items that are on every day (e.g. Escargots, Prawns with Marie Rose sauce, French Onion Soup, Caesar salad, New York Strip Steak, Chicken etc). In addition to the printed menu there are also two additional main courses one of which relates to the destination and one of which is a chef’s special.

You can choose to ask for a table for two, or ask to join a shared table. It’s anytime dining and there’s a very nice bar there too which is handy.

The Patio works differently by day and at night. By day it serves a range of served dishes such as burgers (the Greek burger is wonderful), brochettes, chilli etc. You can also bring food from Windows buffet out there. In the evening there is a different menu with things like steak, lamb etc. Again, though, you can bring starters/desserts etc from Windows buffet.

When you get onboard you’ll find two places where you can make your speciality restaurant bookings - there’s a permanent desk inside the main entrance to Windows buffet and there will be another one somewhere on embarkation day. On our last cruise in July it was just inside Spirits bar. The people at the desks will know when things like the White Night are (did you know there is always a a White Night - a deck party where most people wear something white (tho’ this is not obligatory) with an on-deck very nice BBQ often including lobster, steak etc).

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to say, you were going to upgrade to the Ultimate Beverage Package?  I'm not sure if you have the standard package included in your perks?  If you have then unlike Celebrity you can't upgrade by paying the difference. You have to buy the whole thing at daily Ultimate rate. Stupid if you ask me. Wanted to mention in case you weren't aware. 

Phil 

• Like 1

We will be on Azamara in a club world Owners suite next September. We are also purchasing the indulgence package. So we will have 3 Specialty, chefs table, best of the best and white night to coordinate. Should we use the butler/concierge to help book all of this or simply go to the reservation desk when we board

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, papa B me said:

We will be on Azamara in a club world Owners suite next September. We are also purchasing the indulgence package. So we will have 3 Specialty, chefs table, best of the best and white night to coordinate. Should we use the butler/concierge to help book all of this or simply go to the reservation desk when we board

You certainly can have your butler make arrangements, however we find making reservations on embarkation day gets us the dates/ times we like

10 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Discoveries restaurant (main dining room) is excellent. The menu does indeed change daily, although it also has some ‘standard’ items that are on every day (e.g. Escargots, Prawns with Marie Rose sauce, French Onion Soup, Caesar salad, New York Strip Steak, Chicken etc). In addition to the printed menu there are also two additional main courses one of which relates to the destination and one of which is a chef’s special.

You can choose to ask for a table for two, or ask to join a shared table. It’s anytime dining and there’s a very nice bar there too which is handy.

The Patio works differently by day and at night. By day it serves a range of served dishes such as burgers (the Greek burger is wonderful), brochettes, chilli etc. You can also bring food from Windows buffet out there. In the evening there is a different menu with things like steak, lamb etc. Again, though, you can bring starters/desserts etc from Windows buffet.

When you get onboard you’ll find two places where you can make your speciality restaurant bookings - there’s a permanent desk inside the main entrance to Windows buffet and there will be another one somewhere on embarkation day. On our last cruise in July it was just inside Spirits bar. The people at the desks will know when things like the White Night are (did you know there is always a a White Night - a deck party where most people wear something white (tho’ this is not obligatory) with an on-deck very nice BBQ often including lobster, steak etc).

Hope this is helpful.

This is such great information.  Was curious about main dining room as we have a suite and when on Celebrity usually book Aqua class.  Great and helpful information.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Just to say, you were going to upgrade to the Ultimate Beverage Package?  I'm not sure if you have the standard package included in your perks?  If you have then unlike Celebrity you can't upgrade by paying the difference. You have to buy the whole thing at daily Ultimate rate. Stupid if you ask me. Wanted to mention in case you weren't aware. 

Phil 

We don’t get any additional beverage package.  We are at a level we can get 10% off the ultimate.  We will be adding the ultimate beverage package, this girl needs her Patron and they have some decent wines!

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thanks Phil. That is one thing I was going to ask.  

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I think this has now changed, Bonnie has just indicated that you can now upgrade from Premium to Ultimate beverage package by paying the difference.

Really?  That is a good move. I made my feelings very known earlier this year. Not actually for me, but for someone else asking. It just made no sense to me. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Really?  That is a good move. I made my feelings very known earlier this year. Not actually for me, but for someone else asking. It just made no sense to me. 

Phil 

Yes, it’s in post#702 in the ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’ topic. Here’s a copy of the post.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:33 PM,  Host Grandma Cruising said: 

Just now on a roll call pjpeek has said that they have been allowed to upgrade from the premium to the ultimate beverage package and just pay the difference ($6 a day). This is interesting, as I had always understood that this was not possible, and that you had to pay the full price. Has anyone else been able to do this?

Yes. I’ve confirmed that we introduced the upgrade option very recently.

• 4 weeks later...