Recommendations for first time cruise w/teens

wrg11

I have 5 kids and have traveled with them to Alaska, the Baltics, Caribbean, and Mexico.  Their favorite was Alaska then the Baltics.  Not sure what type suggestions you want but that is what we liked the best.  My kids don't need to be entertained so they have never been to a kids club, they like to hang out with each other and there is always plenty to do.  We also don't do internet plans on the ship.  No matter what you decide they, and you will have a wonderful time.   Also, the one rule I have is we always eat supper together.  We love to sit around and talk about our day.  We usually end up spending the evenings together too then.

• Like 1

Having just done the Baltic this summer, I think that would be a great idea.  Let them see some of the world.  My first thought had been a Caribbean cruise, but I think the suggestion of the Baltic is a good one.  Try and spend some time in Copenhagen before the cruise.  Three days.

Edited by steelers36

Hi, I'm a mother of three teenagers and have gone on 2 very successful cruises with them and about to go on a third this December.

What has work for us is

1) let the kids help plan the excursions so they are invested

2) let the kids hang with their friends during the day but always have breakfast and dinner together

3) ask your steward for multiple Patters so they each know what is going on for the day.

4) make sure they wear a lanyard with the card attached. On our first cruise 2 of our children lost their cards.

5) bring a USB charger with multiple ports - so there are no arguments over who gets to charge their device.

6) make sure they download their devices with music and movies before the trip as sometimes they need a little time to chill away from everything.

7) bring a couple of packs of cards - we have had hilarious times playing all sorts of games and it’s a great way to catch up as you talk as you are playing.

8) get the kids to wash their own underwear when they are in the shower. We use Sard soap. 

9) get the kids involved in competitions. Ours have had great fun on treasure hunts, table tennis, soccer games etc. and they meet like minded sporty kids as well. 

10) make sure they always use the stairs to burn off energy

11) be patient with them when they are doing their blog, post, snap or tick tock! It’s their way of communicating with their friends and it can actually be a lot of fun for us oldies  - especially when you pop your head in in the background and embarrass them! 

And the the best thing of all - for me - is not having to cook for my swarm of locusts that devour everything in sight. I am pretty sure my 6 footers eat the cost of their fare. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KatiebelleCruiser said:

Hi, I'm a mother of three teenagers and have gone on 2 very successful cruises with them and about to go on a third this December.

What has work for us is

1) let the kids help plan the excursions so they are invested

2) let the kids hang with their friends during the day but always have breakfast and dinner together

3) ask your steward for multiple Patters so they each know what is going on for the day.

4) make sure they wear a lanyard with the card attached. On our first cruise 2 of our children lost their cards.

5) bring a USB charger with multiple ports - so there are no arguments over who gets to charge their device.

6) make sure they download their devices with music and movies before the trip as sometimes they need a little time to chill away from everything.

7) bring a couple of packs of cards - we have had hilarious times playing all sorts of games and it’s a great way to catch up as you talk as you are playing.

😎 get the kids to wash their own underwear when they are in the shower. We use Sard soap. 

9) get the kids involved in competitions. Ours have had great fun on treasure hunts, table tennis, soccer games etc. and they meet like minded sporty kids as well. 

10) make sure they always use the stairs to burn off energy

11) be patient with them when they are doing their blog, post, snap or tick tock! It’s their way of communicating with their friends and it can actually be a lot of fun for us oldies  - especially when you pop your head in in the background and embarrass them! 

And the the best thing of all - for me - is not having to cook for my swarm of locusts that devour everything in sight. I am pretty sure my 6 footers eat the cost of their fare. 

I love all of these ideas! I'm bringing my 4 on their first cruise in February. I am also looking forward to not cooking or cleaning!

7 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

If you want the kids to have a good time, tell then what their itinerary options are, let then do a bit of research on each port, and let them choose.

I definitely agree with the above. Our kids have cruised all over the world with us (check my signature, the next will be their 29th cruise) and we’ve always included them in the discussions, even when they were small when I made Travel Journals for them to complete each evening at dinner. They loved Alaska the first time around and that’s why they asked if we could do it again in 2018, now they are older teens. If you choose Europe, there is so much to see and do in every port you visit - as far away from the Caribbean ports as you can imagine. FYI, cold weather itineraries usually have less kids onboard.

Ours have made great friends with kids at the clubs onboard, many they still communicate with today. We usually take private excursions as we travel with our friends in a group of 7 and then the kids meet up with their new cruise buddies after dinner or on sea days - they spend the rest of the time with us. We do split up sometimes and one parent will go on an excursion with one teen and the other will do something different i.e. kayaking. Things have changed over the years in to what they pack for the cruises, no longer hand-held games etc., just their phones and a pack of cards.

Over the years, ours have included many of their experiences in their school topics, even to constructing a geyser from Iceland for a geography project. I dread to think how much we’ve spent on cruises, however, for the experiences we’ve had as a family together, it’s been priceless 😉.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

My son is now grown with his own baby. We always traveled with him and normally took a friend with him . I wished we had taken him to Alaska. The beauty of nature is breathtaking. Definitely let the kids help plan. I love seeing parents engage their children. 

We cruised this last Feb. on the Regal with our two teens (14 and 16). I'd recommend: (1) visit the teen club after you embark and get a tour and (2) make sure you have flexible plans the first night because being in the teen club the first night is pretty important for meeting new friends. Also - if you read my trip report from Feb. (link in signature) I included all of the paperwork/schedules/etc. that we received from the teen club. :) Our kids loved Princess - even more than Norwegian which has many more activities! Have fun!