$25.00 Deposit is Not...

Jimbo59

Yep I have learned my lesson on these reduced deposits.  I usually pay off cruises way ahead of the final payment date.  But I decided to cancel a cruise (Royal) no real reason just decided not to go I had made total payment for the cruise ahead of the final payment date and this cancellation was ahead of the final payment date.  I knew I would loose the $100 pp deposit I had put down but they also said that since the regular full deposit is 250 pp I would receive $300 in FCC not cash.  Oh well lesson learned. 

9 minutes ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

Yep I have learned my lesson on these reduced deposits.  I usually pay off cruises way ahead of the final payment date.  But I decided to cancel a cruise (Royal) no real reason just decided not to go I had made total payment for the cruise ahead of the final payment date and this cancellation was ahead of the final payment date.  I knew I would loose the $100 pp deposit I had put down but they also said that since the regular full deposit is 250 pp I would receive $300 in FCC not cash.  Oh well lesson learned. 

FCC not even returned to your credit card? 

That is terrible

I was just coming here to remark on the same thing. I just started doing a booking for next May and am at the point of locking it in. Clicked on the link for cancellation fees just to be sure I understood them correctly and was very suprised to see this....

If you cancel your reservation after the dates listed below, you may be subject to additional fees.

DATES.                           CANCELLATION FEES PER GUEST

October 31, 2019.          25% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

March 17, 2020.             50% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

March 31, 2020.             75% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

April 30, 2020.                100% OF TOTAL CRUISE FARE

Final Payment Date for the cruise I’m looking at would be March 2, 2020.

This seems to contradict the wording at the bottom of the page that says “Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100 USD per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. 100 USD per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.”

Very confusing!!!

I think the 25% charge for cancelling after today is a website bug. (And has been discussed previously on here). The T&Cs say the 25% charge applies within 90 days of the embarkation date. The website is trying to calculate the number of days between now and departure. For some reason it gets the answer wrong and thinks there is less than 90 days, so it populates today's date in the pop-up window.

• Like 1

$25 Nonrefundable Deposit Offer is applicable to new Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) made October 31st, 2019, for select cruises departing 02/01/20 – 05/03/21, excluding Cruisetours and Galapagos sailings. Reduced deposits are in USD, per person and exclude group bookings and bookings in suites. Limit one reduced deposit booking per passenger. Reduced deposit must be paid by deposit payment required due date. Offer is combinable with “Sail Your Way” pricing and October savings offers; not combinable with Exciting Deals or reduced rates. Offer is applicable to the United States, Canada, Australia and Mexico. To redeem at celebritycruises.com, proceed to the payment page, select “Other” in the deposit field and enter the deposit amount. Standard full deposit penalty is applied if booking is cancelled within final payment period; see Celebrity’s cancellation policy for details.
NRDB cancelled prior to final payment due date will be forfeited. $25 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. Applicable to groups at prevailing rates. Not applicable to incentive, contract, or charter groups. Nonrefundable deposit offers are not applicable to sailings within final payment.
Refer to celebritycruises.com and the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Celebrity reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time, correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice. ©2019 Celebrity Cruises. Ships’ registry: Malta and Ecuador.10/2019

Edited by gerelmx

1 hour ago, barbette165 said:

I think the 25% charge for cancelling after today is a website bug. (And has been discussed previously on here). The T&Cs say the 25% charge applies within 90 days of the embarkation date. The website is trying to calculate the number of days between now and departure. For some reason it gets the answer wrong and thinks there is less than 90 days, so it populates today's date in the pop-up window.

Agree it is a issue on the website.  I booked a cruise recently and called Celebrity to book because of the 1 place where it said there was a 25% loss of cruise fare if I cancelled the next day.  
I was told it was incorrect and that the booking confirmation would have the correct cancellation terms,  I got the booking confirmation and there was no 25% penalty for cancelling the next day,  Before final payment cancelling would result in a $100 pp administrative fee and the remaining $350 pp would be given in credit toward a future cruise booked within 12 months.   The price difference between the non- refundable and  the refundable deposit was $1,000.  We plan to take the cruise and should we be forced to cancel our travel insurance would reimburse us.

48 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

.... NRDB cancelled prior to final payment due date will be forfeited. $25 per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date....

Thanks Gerelmx!

I looked all over the website and I finally found where you got this info. It was in the email they sent! 

So, if I am reading this correctly, the only amount I would lose for cancelling prior to final payment would be the $25 deposit. If I want to change ship or date (again, before final payment) there would be a $25 fee (and I would assume adjustment to prevailing price/perks). Sorry for being so dense but this non-refundable deposit thing is new to me.

Edited by SeasideMemories
Fix Typo