Mess with our family of 4 booking

Ebarnett8

45 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Basically, you just got Royal Caribbean an extra several thousand dollars by giving up the second stateroom because now they can resell it even though you already paid for it! Screwy for sure. 

To end on the bright side, at least you got what you originally wanted, a stateroom for your whole family and at the lower price! Go and have fun and try not to think about the loss.

If RCI was able to resell the second stateroom they didn´t gain anything, they just recovered their loss By giving the OP their cabin at half Price.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ebarnett8 said:

I wish it was that good. We paid about $3k, was under pressure to book because my family was booking, etc...

5 hours ago, Ebarnett8 said:

It's not cheaper- it's twice as much. Makes no sense

So the price was originally 6K? That's pretty steep for a balcony room, especially since the 3rd & 4th passengers are usually signification cheaper than the first 2.  I've seen suites go for less than that.

Royals booking process is annoying in that it contains enough carefully worded escape clauses so they can ignore your clearly stated preferences. But be proud that you were able to save 3 grand and enjoy the cruise. Use the savings to treat yourself to a nice night at a specialty restaurant while your other family members babysit the kids. 

I'm surprised it was cheaper in the first place to book 2 rooms! I think the trouble was being rushed to book instead of having time to shop sales and price compare. We just booked 2 connecting cabins (we have 4 kids) and were able to take advantage of the 'kids under 12 sail free' promotion, so that the room with 4 only cost a few dollars more (due to taxes/fees) than the room with 2. But even without that special, the 3rd/4th passengers are usually cheaper than the 1st/2nd! Also in our case, 2 gty rooms were going to be $3450 total, vs $3550 to be able to choose our rooms. Obviously we paid the extra $100, and were able to select connected rooms, on the deck I chose (8...not too high, not too low), in the proximity to the elevators that I wanted, etc.

Anyway, sorry you have to start off your cruise on a sour note, but hopefully you can just be satisfied that you got what you initially wanted (a room for 4 at a decent cost) and be able to put it behind you and enjoy your cruise! But yeah, I would have been irritated if I were you too.

• Like 1

Before you "forget this whole thing" I suggest that you or a family member that belongs to the crown and anchor loyalty program contact them and ask them if they can do anything to remedy the situation. 

If you did your booking online, it may be better next time to call and explain your needs and preferences to a live human being . Or, as others have suggested work with a reputable travel agent.

Another general rule of life is do not make financial commitments under pressure from family members, or anyone else for that matter.  To most of us a thousand dollars is a lot of money.  My best wishes for an enjoyable cruise with the family and remember not to book online next time.

2 hours ago, rose6 said:

Before you "forget this whole thing" I suggest that you or a family member that belongs to the crown and anchor loyalty program contact them and ask them if they can do anything to remedy the situation. .

Please explain what the "remedy" would be?

The OP wanted a room for four people. That's what they now have.

The OP wanted the cheaper price. That's what they now have.

Looks to me like RCI has already remedied the situation and given them exactly what they wanted. 

4 hours ago, Ebarnett8 said:

Thanks everyone for your comments and help, you've helped me a lot working through this process. Ultimately I think we did ok and should do our best to forget this whole thing.

If all goes well, you'll have forgotten this whole thing as you walk up the gangway & see your kids wide-eye excitement.

At least I hope they are excited and not fearful......or worse, bored.

9 hours ago, Ebarnett8 said:

I wish it was that good. We paid about $3k, was under pressure to book because my family was booking, etc...

If that is for a week I think it's a decent price for four.

After final payment be sure to check prices online to see if you can upgrade to a suite or 2 bedroom suite for a reasonable amount. 

Ok so just for closure, I called in again (3rd day in a row) with a concern that our 2yr old doesn't sleep in a bed, he sleeps in a pack n play. I asked if the current room has the space for the sofa bed down and a pack n play, which the supervisor said it does not. So after a lot of back and forth, they gave us a free upgrade into a bigger room that will accommodate us all (not a suite but a room that fits 5) and now we feel better. Thanks everyone for your comments, it's helped us a bunch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ebarnett8 said:

Ok so just for closure, I called in again (3rd day in a row) with a concern that our 2yr old doesn't sleep in a bed, he sleeps in a pack n play. I asked if the current room has the space for the sofa bed down and a pack n play, which the supervisor said it does not. So after a lot of back and forth, they gave us a free upgrade into a bigger room that will accommodate us all (not a suite but a room that fits 5) and now we feel better. Thanks everyone for your comments, it's helped us a bunch.

Glad it all worked out for you and I hope you have an awesome cruise 

Dan

52 minutes ago, Ebarnett8 said:

👍

4 hours ago, Ebarnett8 said:

Better solution.  I'm glad Royal worked with you to get a larger room.