CABO San Lucas Snorkeling

chaching

We went on the High Tide snorkeling to Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay Beach. The van was early picking us up by the XOXO drug store. They came about 8:50 a.m. We booked this excursion through the company online. There were 4 other people with us who were staying at hotels in Cabo. The one couple wanted to kayak and snorkel. The water at Santa Maria was very cloudy for quite a while. The sea was NOT calm. It was difficult to walk into the water from the shore with my equipment on. The water was very cloudy. I finally found a spot where I could see some fish. I stayed in the water for quite some time. Then we had to pack everything up into the van again to go to Chileno Beach Bay. The same fish were in the water there but they were just larger. We didn't stay too long because the last tender from our ship was supposed to leave the pier in Cabo at Noon. We arrived at 11:57! I would really HESITATE to use this company. The tour was supposed to last TWO HOURS! We were gone over THREE! I didn't think the snorkeling and stress was worth the trip. When we got on the tender, we were sitting by other cruisers who booked this same company THRU the SHIP and they just arrived back to the tenders at NOON!

On 11/2/2019 at 1:50 PM, CruiserBruce said:

It is commonly mentioned here that snorkeling on the Pacific side of Mexico is not all that good...for the exact reasons you mention.

Agreed. The Caribbean is good. Bonaire was the best snorkeling we’ve ever done. 

Whale watching in Cabo is excellent when in season. 

We gave up snorkeling on the Pacific side-usually rough, not clear, etc.    We had several awesome  cruises to the Caribbean and snorkeling was fantastic.  Loved Bonaire with the drift snorkel.  We are leaving soon for Mexico cruise for relaxing only-leaving our snorkel gear at home.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laurie S. said:

Must not be snorkeling in the right areas in Mexico.  It is quite good in some areas.  Diving is even better.

When you’re from a cruise ship you don’t have a lot of choices.  And not everyone is a diver-diving is great though.  

3 minutes ago, Laurie S. said:

Actually, if you go with private operators there are a lot of choices.  Avoid the cruise excursions they are awful.

We have used private and was still not good. Been there several times & won’t waste our money again-will wait until Caribbean.  

Do you have recommendations for certain areas since we haven’t had much luck.

Edited by canadianbear

I don't snorkel, only dive.  But, I live part-time in San Carlos, Mexico and there are areas there that people love for snorkeling.  Rocky Point also is good for that.  However, cruise ships don't go there, just nearby Guaymas.  Caribbean is great, but southeast Asia is even better.  🙂

35 minutes ago, Laurie S. said:

I don't snorkel, only dive.  But, I live part-time in San Carlos, Mexico and there are areas there that people love for snorkeling.  Rocky Point also is good for that.  However, cruise ships don't go there, just nearby Guaymas.  Caribbean is great, but southeast Asia is even better.  🙂

Our daughter is a diver and has been to Thailand, Indonesia etc.  We stick to snorkeling and loved it when we did a private excursion when docked in La Paz and snorkeled with the whale sharks.  That was an amazing experience.  

18 hours ago, Laurie S. said:

I'm planning on doing that again next May on my Golden Princess cruise.  This time I'll have my underwater camera rig to get photos.  The last time I did it was 10 year ago and had just started shooting underwater.  They are awesome!

We'll see you on the zodiac!  We've never done the whale shark excursion so really looking forward to it!

22 minutes ago, LuvCruiSun said:

We took an Uber to Chileno Bay last August on our cruise and had amazing snorkeling. We went again last week when we stayed at a hotel. The water was clear both times and fish were everywhere.

Cabo_Chileno.JPG

Chileno.JPG

We  are heading out next month-maybe we will try one more time since it’s a different month than we usually go.  Nice clear photos!

Edited by canadianbear