Guatemala-Eclipse

Ocdublin

We just found out we will be Docking in Puerto Quetzal Guatemala, my question is Celebrity offers a bus to Antigua on your own.  How safe is Antigua on your own!  I know any country you need to take precautions, but was just wondering.  Thank you.

We (Canadian couple in our 60's) spent a few days in Antigua this past February, before the start of a land tour.  We felt completely safe, and loved it.  Great people, food, weather, sights.  You will often be offered items for sale by locals, but a polite no gracias works fine.

Hi there. I live in Antigua going on 5 years now. If you are careful with your belongings and walk around the city proper where all the tourist attractions are, it’s very safe. Don’t walk alone in the outskirts, especially at night. Doubt you would be doing that on a cruise day tour anyway. If you use ATMs, look for ones inside a bank or pharmacy. Avoid any Banco Industrial ATMs, look for 5B ones. 

Let me know if you want any recommendations of places to go depending on your interests. Antigua is beautiful!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ocdublin said:

We just found out we will be Docking in Puerto Quetzal Guatemala, my question is Celebrity offers a bus to Antigua on your own.  How safe is Antigua on your own!  I know any country you need to take precautions, but was just wondering.  Thank you.

Most of the cruise lines offer this RT transportation.  We did it three years ago with NCL -- it was excellent, and we enjoyed it so much we'll be doing the same thing again in January.  As DebInAntigua says above, the core central area where you will be dropped off has plenty of tourists -- it's also small and easy to walk around. 

OP, I hope you don't mind my asking Deb a question about the sights, this may be useful to you as well.

@DebInAntigua   on our first visit to Antigua three years ago, we spent time inside the Cathedral and the ruins, and spent most of the rest of the time walking through the streets, with a break for lunch.  We do enjoy historical sights, architecture, churches, etc. -- for this second visit, is there anything you would recommend that we see inside?  Or something specific outside that we might have missed or not appreciated?  I hope that's not too vague, and I appreciate any tips.  (And lunch will be at Rincon Tipico, thanks for that! 🙂)

Edited by Turtles06

If you haven't joined us already, we have a good Roll Call going for the Nov 20 cruise that will be stopping in Guatemala.

I just posted some info on a possible private tour that might be a good option for you.

Sights to see.....NimPot, the store for traditional textiles, near the arch.  Amazing variety, plus other items.  And inside the McDonald's, and their outdoor eating area!  

Enjoy a Guatemalan coffee....delicious.  Avacados and/or guacamole...so fresh!  

We visited the city on a Celebrity tour a couple years ago and absolutely loved it.  Within the city proper, I would just take the normal precautions I would use anywhere.  Guatemala in general unfortunately has a lot of crime in other areas, so I recommend taking ship transportation to and from as the city is not close to the port.  Tourism is very important to the city, so they definitely want to make sure tourists keep visiting and they would only do that if they feel safe.  Had the same concerns about Cartagena, but had a wonderful time there as long as we stayed within the walled city.

When we went to Guatemala, we did a Celebrity tour of a coffee plantation, absolutely fascinating and as a bonus the coffee is delicious and I don't drink coffee normally! When we went to the town, they had tourist police in the main square to make sure we were not pestered too much by the local traders trying to sell their wares, as they can get a bit enthusiastic!  No problems at all, loved it!