Not booking any excursions. Any one else do this? Regrets?

deecruise2

We are cruising to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlán.   We are thinking of not booking any excursions and just walking or getting a taxi and exploring the ports.   Anyone else do this and if you have do you regret not getting tours?  

We did it. There’s plenty to see and do, plenty of taxis and tours on the docks. In Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlán, we did and they were fine but not the greatest. I will say the best tour was in Cabo that I booked ahead of time (whale watching on a pirate ship), also the most expensive (well worth it). I would say it depends on what you want to do, I would have an idea before you go (part of our problem). In general, I’ve always done well booking ahead of time, when I find something on shore it’s hit and miss. Also had luck finding our own adventure!

We cruised this itinerary in early October and did an excursion (privately booked—not through the ship.) only in Mazatlan.  

Our snorkeling excursion in Cabo was cancelled due to the weather.  Instead of walking around Cabo, we spent the day enjoying activities on the ship.  I had done a lot of research about Cabo before we cruised and this port just didn’t interest me.  But if there are things you want to see/do in Cabo, you should be able to do it on your own.  However, I recommend you do your research so you aren’t just wandering aimlessly in Cabo.  Make your time there count.

In Mazatlan, we booked a guided Segway tour which was well worth our time and money.  But, if you don’t want to do an excursion in Mazatlan, it’s easy to tour on your own.  There is a “blue line” that leads from the port to the city center and it’s not a long walk.  Then head over to the Malecon and/or the Zona Dorado.  There are also expat Volunteers as you get off the ship (in blue shirts) who can answer your questions.  Again, I recommend you do your homework before you explore on your own to get the most out of this great city. 

Finally, in PV, we took a cab to the Westin Resort where we purchased a day pass which allowed us to spend the day on the beach and at the pool and also included a food and drink credit which covered our lunch.  Many of the hotels offer these days passes subject to hotel occupancy.  (There’s a thread on this forum that includes a link to all these packages.) 

• Like 2

We have been cruising extensively (all over the world) for more then 40 years and seldom book any cruise line excursion.  We would certainly not do it in any of your ports.  Many experienced (and some new) cruisers avoid the large group oft overpriced cruise line excursions.   You can certainly explore all of those ports on your own using your feet, taxis, water taxis/small boats,  and even local buses.

Hank

• Like 2

We cruise this itinerary every year as our Mexican "honeymoon".

Sometimes we book excursions in one of the ports which would take us into the countryside.

Otherwise we either spend time on the ship or get off and walk/take taxis etc. on our own.

Cabo is my least favorite port since to me it feels like Miami in Mexico.

I loved my camel riding excursion there which was a new experience for me.

In Mazatlan we've walked the blue line to the main square and explored. We've taken a pulmonia(golfcart taxi) around the city. We are not lay on the beach all day folks so we've not gone to Stone Island but that is an easy do it yourself trip in Mazatlan.

Puerto Vallarta is the most interesting/varied city of the ports(IMO)

We always take a taxi to the malecon(boardwalk) and walk along the seafront visiting shops and restaurants and having a margarita on the beach.

We've also taken excursions here to smaller towns nearby .

Up to you what you choose to do.

Thanks for all the tips!  We are a group of 4 and I think we are all on the same page.  We are thinking of just going into the towns, grabbing food and drinks maybe some shopping and wandering back to ship.  So I will research each of these ports for the best options!   

Thank you!!

We do that all of the time. Taxi to boardwalk, Malecon, in Puerto Vallarta. There are lots of great restaurants around there, especially the truck in a small alley serving birria (goat tacos with broth). In Cabo, we go to Barracruda's for ceviche and the Monkey bar for amazing fresh squeezed lime margaritas.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lostinyonkers said:

Did you go through Baikas Bike Rentals/Segway Tours?  If so, can you share how you got there from the cruise ship terminal?

Yes, we did use Baikas Bike Rentals.  We just walked from the cruise ship -- it's about a mile walk.  You can check Google Maps for directions before you go or ask one of the Ex-Pat Volunteers (blue shirts) that you'll see when you get off the ship.  Basically, you head to the Malecon (sidewalk along the beach) and follow it to Baikas.

You could also take a pulmonia (golf-cart type vehicle) from the ship to Baikas.  We did this after our Segway tour and the cost was, I think, about 150 pesos (under $8).  That was really more than the trip was worth, but we were tired after a day on foot and Segway in Mazatlan.  

45 minutes ago, GradUT said:

Yes, we did use Baikas Bike Rentals.  We just walked from the cruise ship -- it's about a mile walk.  You can check Google Maps for directions before you go or ask one of the Ex-Pat Volunteers (blue shirts) that you'll see when you get off the ship.  Basically, you head to the Malecon (sidewalk along the beach) and follow it to Baikas.

You could also take a pulmonia (golf-cart type vehicle) from the ship to Baikas.  We did this after our Segway tour and the cost was, I think, about 150 pesos (under $8).  That was really more than the trip was worth, but we were tired after a day on foot and Segway in Mazatlan.  

Thank you so much!  I just emailed them to see if they are open on Christmas Day (when we're in port).  Sure hope they are!  This sounds really fun and they have great reviews.  :)

On 11/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, riffatsea said:

In Mazatlan we've walked the blue line to the main square and explored

This is what I did as well.  Walked 5 miles or better that day!  Very nice city, never felt like my safety was at risk, the guides along the blue line (snow birds from Canada) were very nice and helpful.  We followed some of their recommendations and ignored others (like taking a Pulmonia instead of walking).