Beds and chairs for tall 6'3" or (190cm) people on river cruises

Annie59

Hi Everyone

We have not yet done any cruising and are looking at a river cruise in Europe (probably France or Portugal).

My husband is 6'3" (190cm) and I am looking for some advice regarding the size of the beds, if the chairs are comfortable for someone tall and if the bathrooms and showers are at a suitable height on the various river cruise ships.   Some  advice on the  actual length or the beds, are the chairs large enough to be comfortable and would he fit in the shower?  We were looking at Viking or Uni World as an option.

Thank you

Viking. Beds and furnishing are standard lengths and widths and chosen to meet the comfort of the average adult. Per the website: Hotel-style bed 79 in x 63 in (with optional twin-bed configuration); luxury linens & pillows .

Viking offers a 360° tour of their ship here: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/content/360/start.html?secure=true

6 hours ago, Annie59 said:

Hi Everyone

We have not yet done any cruising and are looking at a river cruise in Europe (probably France or Portugal).

My husband is 6'3" (190cm) and I am looking for some advice regarding the size of the beds, if the chairs are comfortable for someone tall and if the bathrooms and showers are at a suitable height on the various river cruise ships.   Some  advice on the  actual length or the beds, are the chairs large enough to be comfortable and would he fit in the shower?  We were looking at Viking or Uni World as an option.

Thank you

Our friends were on a Viking cruise with us - husband was 6'2". No complaints from him regarding the size of the bed. I'm not sure how chairs would be an issue for a 6'3" person?

Edited by dogs4fun

There are lots of men between 6 ft. and 6 ft. 4 in.  I've not heard any complaints from any men on the 3 river cruises I've done.  Does your husband have trouble with the chairs in land restaurants?  

The bathrooms on river cruise ships are small in general, but as far as the height of the showers, that shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, Annie59 said:

Thanks very much for all of your advice and input. 

Definitely agree on the flight issue they pack you in very uncomfortable for everyone in 'cattle class'.

Tall folks are the group who is actually better off paying for extra leg room or exit row seating in economy class, even if it's otherwise the same economy seat and amenities.

6'5" here and had no difficulty with beds or showers on Scenic cruises. Chairs are fine also and I spent many mornings on the balcony with coffee as my wife slept. Don't get me started about airplanes and people who insist on reclining their seat.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is 6’5”. We have gone on three river cruises with Vantage. The beds are too short.....his feet hang over the bottom.we always ask for an extra blanket to throw over his feet. The blankets are short.

The bathrooms are large enough for him to use comfortably. The chairs in the room are actually pretty comfortable. 
He has to watch his head while walking down the hallways because they have hung the exit signs in the middle of the hall. On their newest ship they moved them to,the side instead of the middle which was a big help. 

The chairs and sofas in the lounges are very uncomfortable. I’m 5’10” and find it hard to sit in them for any length of time.